• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Car Polishing & waxing tips

K.o.N.o.S

2 hours ago, Supra_Natural said:

I have no idea where you gents find the time these days to spend hours waxing your car. For me, I just run it to a good detailing place every so often and get the job done. 

LOL this before i said good bye to my bachelor life:lol:

but still i try to do it by my self as much as possible, if not i follow ur trail @Supra_Natural

• 10 months later...
On 4/3/2018 at 4:44 PM, K.o.N.o.S said:

Also I would like to know whether polishing & waxing prevent small scratches or not.

Saw this 2015 Axio parked next to my car in the blazing sun today... (Mine is 2014)

pW0EFAe.jpg

7gMXkIE.jpg

I haven't polished the car even once to this date, all I've done is 1-2 spray wax sessions every month after washing the car.

Edited by Hyaenidae

10 hours ago, Hyaenidae said:

Saw this 2015 Axio parked next to my car in the blazing sun today... (Mine is 2014)

pW0EFAe.jpg

7gMXkIE.jpg

I haven't polished the car even once to this date, all I've done is 1/2 spray wax sessions every month after washing the car.

Well..swirls can happen depending on how you wash the car and wipe it dry and even how you wipe off polish/wax. The coating that the polishes/waxes/etc...provide do provide a degree of protection but it is no guarantee that there won't be swirls. But yes...regular waxing and proper washing does help in keeping swirls to a minimum.

SIDE NOTE : DO not do regular polishing as that thins out the paint and too much polishing could make the bare metal come out :D <know a guy who did that...he polished the car with the change of season apparently....in two years time there were spots where the metal had appeared and in one summer the paint just had weird sun burn spots....

6 minutes ago, iRage said:

SIDE NOTE : DO not do regular polishing as that thins out the paint and too much polishing could make the bare metal come out :D <know a guy who did that...he polished the car with the change of season apparently....in two years time there were spots where the metal had appeared and in one summer the paint just had weird sun burn spots....

I've made my mind up to never polish the car after reading this :D

https://meguiarsonline.com/forums/showthread.php?36258-Mercedes-500-Complete-wetsand&amp;p=347968&amp;viewfull=1#post347968

Edited by Hyaenidae

3 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

I have not polished the Fortuner for the last two years. (i.e. when I first bought it). Been using waxes and coating for maintenance and it still looks good. Same with the Corolla....Polished it in 2014ish...after that it has been glass coated...then clayed and then coated again.

7 minutes ago, iRage said:

I have not polished the Fortuner for the last two years. (i.e. when I first bought it). Been using waxes and coating for maintenance and it still looks good. Same with the Corolla....Polished it in 2014ish...after that it has been glass coated...then clayed and then coated again.

If I ever attempt polishing the car I think I'll buy a cheap paint thickness gauge off ebay first ($15-$20) to make sure I don't take off more clearcoat than necessary... and then give it a glass coating afterward. 

But seeing as there are almost no swirl marks on the clearcoat for the 4 years of ownership (guess the spray wax did a good job protecting the clearcoat?) I don't think I'll have to polish it anytime soon...

Edited by Hyaenidae

Well..the polish is not jsut for removing swirls..it does remove surface scratches and other impurities that are baked on to the paint after some time. But for impurities you can always use clay which is not coarse at all..but then meguiars, autoglym, etc..have various "polishes" that are also pretty mild. The thing is in SL when people thikn of polishing they go ahead and do the whole B-Cut polishing which is quite coarse. 

• Like 1

Well..the polish is not jsut for removing swirls..it does remove surface scratches and other impurities that are baked on to the paint after some time. 

I reckon this is another reason why regular waxing is necessary... it would prevent most of the impurities (tree sap, bird droppings, tar etc) from baking on to the paint

The thing is in SL when people thikn of polishing they go ahead and do the whole B-Cut polishing which is quite coarse. 

And they think waxing is merely done for the shine and often don't bother to do it... the Axio I've posted above looked shiny and clean in a distance, but when you take a closer look the swirl marks are clearly visible.

Ahh been awhile.... so I would like to add something as well, use a clay bar. Some brands have various levels of clay bars from light, medium and heavy depending on the paint work.

So I tried the clay bar kit from Maguire's which turned out to be an eye opener, specially the roof :blink: 

and then use a swirl remover which I have mentioned before the 3m stuff (yet to try a new brand, might try the Maguire's Scratch X2.0)

and finally use a good wax, which ever brand you might prefer.

To check if the paint needs a clay or wax, just touch your paint work with your hand to see if its soft, if NOT a proper claying will do wonders. will try to upload the images I have soon

20190210_094512.jpg

IMG-20190210-WA0002.jpeg

20190210_125409.jpg

Edited by Muditha420

9 hours ago, Muditha420 said:

@kmeeg I would say older cars have better paint thickness, not sure if it's right but a guy working for used cars said so?

Considering the age that is a proper shine?

Not sure about the paint thickness machan. This was repainted on 2006. Old paint was removed completely and repainted. The paint looks good since its not been used much.

• 7 months later...
27 minutes ago, mazdaspeed said:

HI Guys,

Seeking some advice on removal of marks off the door panel - Does any one know how I could remove the marks . It's a plastic Trim form a Hyundai Tuscon.  

IMG_20190922_083450[1].jpg

Bro it looks like someone has used a solvent to wipe it, taking the dye or colour off? Or is it the pic?

It also could be that there was some compound with a white residue on what ever was used to wipe the interior with and that pretty much got itself on it....do you have kids ? did your kids draw on the trim with some crayon or something and you try to clean it ?

Is the trim on other parts of the interior the same ? or is it just this ? if it is just this what did you do differently on this door panel ? Did it come over night after you cleaned it one day ? or did it develop over a period of time ?

You can try using some formy water and see if anything gets washed off (soak a cloth and then take it off) do not use car shampoos or anything of the sort. Get some dish washing liquid...dilute it a LOT and then rub part of the panel with a soaked cloth...see what happens to that part.

You can also try something like Meguairs Dash and trim restorer or Natural Shine Protectant. I do not like shiny dashboards..infact you shold not have shiny dashboards and trim panels...the trim restorer is shiny but if the panel's color has faded that is what you might have to do (good thing is although it is shiny it doesn't leave an oily shine like most other products and you do not have to use a lot). The Natural Shine Protectant is non-glossy and cleans..would work quite well if what you have on the panel is some dirt and grime embedded in. If the color is faded, then well...it is not going ot give you that much of good result but it will make it look a lot better than that...

1 hour ago, dtrum said:

is there any place to buy nu finish car wax

lots of review said that better than maguire liquid wax , it last one year.

I've seen some people use it in SL (on FB). So like Fusso MirrorShine and stuff maybe you can only find it at the specialty shops...

On 10/4/2019 at 6:09 PM, iRage said:

It also could be that there was some compound with a white residue on what ever was used to wipe the interior with and that pretty much got itself on it....do you have kids ? did your kids draw on the trim with some crayon or something and you try to clean it ?

Is the trim on other parts of the interior the same ? or is it just this ? if it is just this what did you do differently on this door panel ? Did it come over night after you cleaned it one day ? or did it develop over a period of time ?

You can try using some formy water and see if anything gets washed off (soak a cloth and then take it off) do not use car shampoos or anything of the sort. Get some dish washing liquid...dilute it a LOT and then rub part of the panel with a soaked cloth...see what happens to that part.

You can also try something like Meguairs Dash and trim restorer or Natural Shine Protectant. I do not like shiny dashboards..infact you shold not have shiny dashboards and trim panels...the trim restorer is shiny but if the panel's color has faded that is what you might have to do (good thing is although it is shiny it doesn't leave an oily shine like most other products and you do not have to use a lot). The Natural Shine Protectant is non-glossy and cleans..would work quite well if what you have on the panel is some dirt and grime embedded in. If the color is faded, then well...it is not going ot give you that much of good result but it will make it look a lot better than that...

Got kids but this was not done by them, It was after it went for a service if I recall correctly, as it happened some  time back. Most all 4 doors have it  bit the effect is less in some doors. 

Thanks for the tips, shall try some of it and update.  I know Maquairs is a god product  and Ive seem some outlets marketing them as well.

Worst case scenario after trying all of the above, if it still looks the same, you can repaint them, pls look into Komis project R thread, where they painted the brown interior black, also some diy threads

On 10/4/2019 at 5:11 PM, mazdaspeed said:

HI Guys,

Seeking some advice on removal of marks off the door panel - Does any one know how I could remove the marks . It's a plastic Trim form a Hyundai Tuscon.  

IMG_20190922_083450[1].jpg

Try wiping this with 3M Leather and Vinyl Restorer. You can get it for around 2500LKR from leading supermarkets.

14 hours ago, mazdaspeed said:

Got kids but this was not done by them, It was after it went for a service if I recall correctly, as it happened some  time back. Most all 4 doors have it  bit the effect is less in some doors. 

Thanks for the tips, shall try some of it and update.  I know Maquairs is a god product  and Ive seem some outlets marketing them as well.

So probably whatever cloth they used had some kind of strong petroleum compound or some white residual stuff; or the cleaner they use is too strong (but then the dash and other interior bits should also have such burns...

Meguiars is not a god product but it is pretty good and probably the better one that is available in SL. 3M and Meguairs might be the same company but it is miles apart.