• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

WagonR 2017(MH55s) Alternator(ISG) Belt Tensioner

lakmaln

I use Wagaon R 2017 (MH55s) FX safety model imported from Japan. It is a brand new (MFG 2017 NOV) vehicle directly imported. After completing the first 1000Km I went agents (A*W) for servicing.

When they deliver the vehicle after completing the service, the service advisor allocated for my service told me there is a recurrent issue in WagonR 2017 Japanese domestic model which is a failure of Alternator(ISG) Belt Tensioner and confirmed that the said repair is not handled by the A*W because of their importing WagonR model doesn't have the said failure. He further informed that the failure can be identified when sudden heavy noise generates from the ISG installation area. After a couple of weeks, I noticed there is an unusual heavy noise generating from the engine room when engine requires high torque. I call A*W but they refuse to do the repair and told to consult St**ling or Was**a Garage because only they have the repair parts.  I consult Was**a Garage and completed my repair. It cost about around Rs. 33500/- ( only failure in one Tensioner, the vehicle has two).  Further, I checked from Suzuki website for any factory recall but not found any details. 

Does anyone know reason for the failure of Wagonr belt Alternator issue? 

Edited by lakmaln

On 3/31/2018 at 7:22 PM, lakmaln said:

I use Wagaon R 2017 (MH55s) FX safety model imported from Japan. It is a brand new (MFG 2017 NOV) vehicle directly imported. After completing the first 1000Km I went agents (A*W) for servicing.

When they deliver the vehicle after completing the service, the service advisor allocated for my service told me there is a recurrent issue in WagonR 2017 Japanese domestic model which is a failure of Alternator(ISG) Belt Tensioner and confirmed that the said repair is not handled by the A*W because of their importing WagonR model doesn't have the said failure. He further informed that the failure can be identified when sudden heavy noise generates from the ISG installation area. After a couple of weeks, I noticed there is an unusual heavy noise generating from the engine room when engine requires high torque. I call A*W but they refuse to do the repair and told to consult St**ling or Was**a Garage because only they have the repair parts.  I consult Was**a Garage and completed my repair. It cost about around Rs. 33500/- ( only failure in one Tensioner, the vehicle has two).  Further, I checked from Suzuki website for any factory recall but not found any details. 

This explain a lot about build quality, my fidget spinner ball bearing lasted longer than this.

• 1 month later...
On 3/31/2018 at 11:52 AM, lakmaln said:

I met with the identical incident .The same issue happens after the 1st service from the given dealer on very next day ,of Wagon R FZ 2017.An inside technical guy told ,few brand new units also came across the same issue. 

The issue is common to both the local and jdm models

The bearing is not shielded from the elements. An inferior unit the have used. They've washed the undercarriage, screwed up the bearing and chickened you off saying that it is a factory fault. 

There are cars running in Taxi companies well over 50000 (current model) and some at 80000km ( older model). They just change the oil and run. No issues no warranties not even li-ion battery failure.

Never leave your car at the above agent. There have been incidences of material being stolen and shuffled from the car for lesser parts.

Also this particular bearing can be pressed out and replaced with an NTN bearing and used cutting the cost to 5000 ish. Rather than replace the whole assembly. Plenty on those fb groups. Do your research.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

This is a common issue in the WagonR (yet to confirm on A*W import being free of it) . By common I mean its caused by improper servicing and new model lacking an under-guard.

I'm sorry but think you got ripped off by Wasana Garage because Laugfs would service the said part and rectify the issue for just under 10k.

Best practice is not to wash undercarriage aggressively.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tiv said:

The bearing is not shielded from the elements. 

There are cars running in Taxi companies well over 50000 (current model) and some at 80000km ( older model). They just change the oil and run. No issues no warranties not even li-ion battery failure.

It's said that Pre-2017 version doesn't have this issue because it has an engine under-guard

Just check the pages, there are plenty in the old type also. Not speaking from experience though. Just what I read online and what I got to know from a few people. I guess to maximise engine efficiency they've fitted flimsy bearings which can't take a bit of water. 

Long gone are the days where we submerged a land rover or cruiser to the bonnet and crossed a flood.

These things can't be sure to even cross a puddle. I have accidentally waded about 4 feet in the Leaf and had no issue during the negombo floods. Few years ago. 

• 2 months later...

The A*W service is shit. My father used to take his alto there and the service person said the timing belt has to be chained at 100,000 miles. BUT THE CAR HAS A TIMING CHAIN. so next time I took the car and told me to show the timing belt?? and the stupid A*W mechanic looked at the the engine and scratched his head and said this car has a timing chain.

Susuki alto 2004 32S engine has timing chains!!!! when you open the oil filler you can see it!!!

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...
On 31 March 2018 at 11:52 AM, lakmaln said:

Me also facing the same issue. I tried in several places. I couldn't find the parts. Did you put Brand new parts or Reconditioned one? 

• 2 months later...

Gents, I have the same issue, belt in my car broke for the 3rd time in a raw within 3 weeks today. I called Laugh Hybrid Care and they said its not mainly the tensioner but the cheep belts are the main issue. I think what they said is true. because the belts that are available in the market did break in half but the original belt I used didn't break like that. They offer a 30,000Km warranty belt with fixing for about 10K

This is Laugh Koswatta, if anyone has experience please share 

On 8/26/2018 at 12:15 AM, ShiyamM said:

Me also facing the same issue. I tried in several places. I couldn't find the parts. Did you put Brand new parts or Reconditioned one? 

54 minutes ago, Leel1 said:

Gents, I have the same issue, belt in my car broke for the 3rd time in a raw within 3 weeks today. I called Laugh Hybrid Care and they said its not mainly the tensioner but the cheep belts are the main issue. I think what they said is true. because the belts that are available in the market did break in half but the original belt I used didn't break like that. They offer a 30,000Km warranty belt with fixing for about 10K

Didn't the Mudalali you bought the car from, give you a warranty? Didn't you take it to them?

dude, by any chance to you have the removed tensioners with you. if so can you check whether you can see bearing numbers on those suckers... a pic or two would help too..

There were some recall details in  [Facebook link removed] at the time of last year around August. I was researching to buy a WagnoR 2017 model but that recall details made me buy Honda hybrid :) ( At that time there were no agents here). Normally recall information on the japanse website.  

Edited by The Don

Hi. 

On 10/26/2018 at 10:46 AM, Leel1 said:

I got the repair done. writing here so that it could help someone.

Below is the damaged auto belt adjuster, Wagon R Stingray 2015  -44S. I have checked with A*W and they do not have this (I think they don't impart as this model was not imported by A*W) So there are 2 options, 1. Buy a reconditioned part. 2. Buy a so called genuine part

I have tried option one and spent 25,000 for a recon part. but when fixed and checked there was a sound coming from it and Laugh said they cannot give the warranty for their belt for 30,000Km if this part is used. 

Hence I returned the recon part and got the money back. then I got a contact of an importer of this part in Kaduwela (i can give the contact if someone wants) and got a brand new item imported from Japan for 25K 

Laugh belt (which they say specifically designed for this car) costs 11,700 with VAT & NBT (which they said only 10,000 when taking in the car) so it costs me about 37,000 for the repair. + 30000Km replace warranty for the Belt 

I learnt that the Belt needs to be very best for this model of cars as the alternator is the key part in this hybrid system hence alternator belt works in stopping starting engine and many more (correct me if wrong)  so I didn't want to take a risk by putting cheaper belts (even a Mitszuboshi belt costs 6,500) and I have already spent nearly 8k on previous belts and which would have caused breaking the adjuster head which is made of plastic. make sure when a belt is broken or piled off  you remove it in full without any residue before you start the engine. also I learnt that you can drive the car without a problem for a short distance even without the belt!

image.png.80625b52425c25fa5e2ea75760ca6a82.png

Edited by Leel1
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 4/5/2018 at 2:09 AM, john cooper said:

This explain a lot about build quality, my fidget spinner ball bearing lasted longer than this.

It is true  , The belt tensioner issue is true  with Wagon R  Stingray. 

Even My sister purchased a car of same from Indra Traders  on last April 2018 and after 3 months, an unusual noise from Belt tensioners and consult them as they say when buying they give full warranty for the engine for Certain period . I(t was a written warranty.

The  sales officer(Sudarshana) said this repair cannot done  with them and sent to A*W for the repair. we received the car back again  after one week but  the same fault again after 3 months.

Now you say this repair will  not done by A M W,   Indra traders says they did the repair  by A M W. So the issue swing with promises and lies.

This time we show the car back to Indra traders and they said this is not a serious issue and  it is a production fault, But did not mention any word about the future repair  done by A*W .

I do hope to write to Suzuki mother company in  Japan  and do the same. Also friends those  who using wagon R  and if any one's car has same issue write to the mother company.

Also promote to not to buy  the company model or Domestic model  to all sri Lankans as we cannot spent more for vehicles , We all are not rich  and at least we all expect to use minimum 3 years without  major rapair.

• 3 weeks later...

This is my personal view about this issue.

This 658 cc engine  is not enough to battle with the mountain roads and to win the hilly road, the alternator   assist to add more power to the engine . when add more power to crank shaft pulley   from the alternator, the belt and tensioners  runs with load and this may be the reason for the tensioners less life time.

Also these parts may not pure japanese(not made in Japan) as many factories in China, India, Korea, Thailand , phillipines  made many spare parts for most models in Japan as well as European cars and these parts may bring the troubles .

We cannot say these factories follow all the standards in production or may be production faults. . Now many vehicles  import to Srilanka(Specially Japan domestic models)  bring many issues  . In Japan they use  maximum 2 years and during their usage they do not any as mother company has some what warranty for their cars, But after complete 2 years , The companies do auction  for these used vehicles and  they resell  to  countries like  SriLanka  . 

Now most people loses their confidence about Japanese vehicles too ,The car sales owners too only sell the vehicle and  after that forget the customer or many fairy tales  or some. At the end the customer helpless and cannot drive with confidence.

31 minutes ago, madhusharest said:

This is my personal view about this issue.

This 658 cc engine  is not enough to battle with the mountain roads and to win the hilly road, the alternator   assist to add more power to the engine . when add more power to crank shaft pulley   from the alternator, the belt and tensioners  runs with load and this may be the reason for the tensioners less life time.

Also these parts may not pure japanese(not made in Japan) as many factories in China, India, Korea, Thailand , phillipines  made many spare parts for most models in Japan as well as European cars and these parts may bring the troubles .

We cannot say these factories follow all the standards in production or may be production faults. . Now many vehicles  import to Srilanka(Specially Japan domestic models)  bring many issues  . In Japan they use  maximum 2 years and during their usage they do not any as mother company has some what warranty for their cars, But after complete 2 years , The companies do auction  for these used vehicles and  they resell  to  countries like  SriLanka  . 

Now most people loses their confidence about Japanese vehicles too ,The car sales owners too only sell the vehicle and  after that forget the customer or many fairy tales  or some. At the end the customer helpless and cannot drive with confidence.

Any 660cc engine in their latest form is sufficient to cover most hills in Sri Lanka as long as there is tarmac and the load capacity is retained. The case with the wagon r is that the adjuster is exposed to the elements in the wagon r whereas the other models that carry this engine have the isg tensioner covered up, of course the materials maybe subpar.

another thing I have seen is most isg powered vehicles are driven like pigs in very high revs, whereas they were designed to be driven low rev and economically as per cvt setup and most economically but well maintained, fellas here thrash them like haice (dolphin) vans of yester year and use cheap parts, 

after ignorantly buying a car just for the sake, it would not be fair to blame the retailer unless he purposely cheated somewhere. One must do at least a mild form of research before buying a vehicle, at least ask about or take a mechanic like the good old days. No point blaming the seller the company or the country of origin after buying a problematic car by your own sane  decision. And cars aren’t cheap here, it’s a lot of hard earned money or yet to earn money via a lease

Edited by tiv