• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Wagan R or Yaris

namal sa

I brought my first car 5 years back, it was Toyota EE101, most of the weekend I had to spend time in workshop for repairs, then I bought brand new TATA indica, which I am using presently without any issue, however I am planning to upgrade my car during the year, I am considering two option that

1. Wagan R 2014/2015

2. Yaris

my budget is 3mn, however I don't like the shape of the wagan R but based on my past experience I compelled to go with unregistered vehicle, because I feel if I am going with Yaris again I have spend time in workshop, also the cost of maintenance.

need your valuable ideas.

9 minutes ago, namal sa said:

I brought my first car 5 years back, it was Toyota EE101, most of the weekend I had to spend time in workshop for repairs, then I bought brand new TATA indica, which I am using presently without any issue, however I am planning to upgrade my car during the year, I am considering two option that

1. Wagan R 2014/2015

2. Yaris

my budget is 3mn, however I don't like the shape of the wagan R but based on my past experience I compelled to go with unregistered vehicle, because I feel if I am going with Yaris again I have spend time in workshop, also the cost of maintenance.

Just because a car is unregistered do not automatically think it is going to be trouble free. There are a lot of junk cars being imported to Sri Lanka....some are accident repair cars and quite a few are high mileage cars with the odometer tampered (so when things like battery packs, timing belts, clutches, transmissions, etc...start going bad they think the model is bad because the odomoeter would say 30k or 40k when in reality the car would have done a much higher mileage.

Also, in the same manner, do not think that just because a car is registered that it is going to breakdown every weekend. It is just that you got yourself a bad EE101 that probably was not taken care of well and perhaps dressed up later on for a quick sale. If you literal about the car being at the garage every (or every other weekend) I would urge you to consider a different garage as well. 

Unregistered or registered you will have to do pre-emptive scheduled maintenance work..it is just that an older car might have a slightly longer list or different items to be looked in to than a newer vehicle . 

In SL when you are buying a car off of a Sri Lankan dealer you need to treat unregistered and registered cars the same way.  GET IT PROFESSIONALLY CHECKED ! Agents do them and there are quite a few third party organizations that do Car Checks now a days.

As for which car suits you...depends on what you actually want to do with the car. The Wagon R is a city car with a 660cc engine. Will do fine in traffic....will manage to get around on the highways...but will suffer under load. As for the Yaris...well larger engine...more power..more space....so yeah...what will you use the car for ?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, namal sa said:

1. Wagan R 2014/2015

2. Yaris

If i were you id go for the yaris from these 2.

Recondition dosent mean its a good car. A recondition car from 2014/2015 could have run in excess of 100 000km and could have a tampered odometer saying 10 000km. And the other thing is it has a good probability of being in an accident and being touched up and sold. And dont believe much in the car sale mudalali warenties. Also the car is small and the 660cc engine will not have enough to take 4 adults up nuwara eliya.

When it comes to the yaris they were imported brand new and they should have emission tests which can be used to get an idea of the true millage. They are designed for sri lankan conditions. They have a 1300cc engine. Double of what you get in the wagonR. And it is a sedan with ok space for 4 adults and their luggage. 

But you can look at other options such as the 

Mitsubishi lancer cs (2008)

Mazda 3

Honda civic 

Nissan sunny n17

Hyundai elentra

All of which if found in good condition would fare better than an accidented wagonR you get without number plates from a sale with some mudalali warenty

Agree with @iRage's comment. In my view as car owners, we need to have some knowledge about car technical stuff. (May not need to do the things) If so we have idea what garage people doing and even we can tell them 'what to do'. The garage people know 'how to do'. So they may not easily cheat us.

Also if we have keen ear and eye, can identify most issues in early stages. Though the car is new, unregistered, registered, recondition or even abused this will help us.

I am not sure how many of us read 'owners manual' after purchasing a car. I know we dont read TV's users manual and calling a 'technician' to fix the antenna & tuneup. Also we dont read  mobile phone users manual and trying to know things in trial & error. When success behave like Archimedes.

As a summery, dont expect 100% trouble free cars.

Edited by kusumsiri

Between the two go for the Yaris.Just make sure you get a good specimen and get it checked. The problem with your ae101 was because it was probably very poorly maintained and abused and hacked to death. Usually Toyotas and specially the Corollas are the most abused cars in SL. There are many very well maintained cars for 3 Mil. Just be patient and look carefully. For the same price as the Yaris you could probably get a newer Lancer Cs2/Cs3 or a Tiida and from my experience car hunting I know Non Toyotas are USUALLY better maintained

• Like 1

11 hours ago, matroska said:

from my experience car hunting I know Non Toyotas are USUALLY better maintained

Yes usually toyotas are the worst maintained cars because the people who buy it

Buy them to make a profit so dont invest on the maintainence even skiping routine maintainence. 

Buy them because of the availability of cheap duplicate parts which they use.

Give them to bas who does patch up repairs to avoid cost

And do not know much about vehicles so dosent use or maintain them properly.

In short they get a hacked out car and hack it even further and try to sell it to more than they bought it.

So they are(most of them)

over priced

Hacked

And not well maintained 

2 hours ago, Clark'sson said:

Yes usually toyotas are the worst maintained cars because the people who buy it

Buy them to make a profit so dont invest on the maintainence even skiping routine maintainence. 

Buy them because of the availability of cheap duplicate parts which they use.

Give them to bas who does patch up repairs to avoid cost

And do not know much about vehicles so dosent use or maintain them properly.

In short they get a hacked out car and hack it even further and try to sell it to more than they bought it.

So they are(most of them)

over priced

Hacked

And not well maintained 

Acceptable. Even in earlier days too Toyotas showed early ageing than other Japanese cars due to  facts you explained. However real case was different than the pictured. Easiness to Maka bass and mass sales through brokers in those days made Toyota high. But lagging in Technology &  many factors. So the people still have old images in mind.