• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying a car considering Car price, Annual Maintenance & Services, Auto part prices

DHerath

Question

I am planning to buy a second hand car, Sedan in between 3-4 million. I like to go for a Toyota model. There are several interesting models like Prius, Axio, Allion, etc. I don't know much about technical sides. What I need is which would be a better car model considering the past history of problems, annual maintenance and service expenses, auto part prices and availability and as much as newer manufacturing year (those will have new technology but I'm not in to hybrid systems much because lots of ppl say hybrids give problems after years of use).Your help, advises and opinions on this regard would be appreciated very much guys!!! 

18 answers to this question

Go for the agent imported 141 with emmision records you can check the true millage. With lesser repairs and being manufactured for srilankan conditions the total cost of ownership will be less although the fuel economy will be slightly less.

Most axios allions and priui have run to the moon and back and had their odometers tampered both in japan and in srilanka.

If you are not stuck to toyotas there are better options such as the but thier maintainence cost may be slightly higher than the 141 but are much better cars

lancer Ex

Mazda 3

Honda civic fd

2 hours ago, Clark'sson said:

Go for the agent imported 141 with emmision records you can check the true millage. With lesser repairs and being manufactured for srilankan conditions the total cost of ownership will be less although the fuel economy will be slightly less.

Most axios allions and priui have run to the moon and back and had their odometers tampered both in japan and in srilanka.

If you are not stuck to toyotas there are better options such as the but thier maintainence cost may be slightly higher than the 141 but are much better cars

lancer Ex

Mazda 3

Honda civic fd

Thanks a lot Clark'sson, The only reason I thought of toyotas are their cars consistency in the market. easy to find good parts, maintenance and most has good fuel eco too. Your right about mileage of axios and allions too. 

But can you tell my whether my knowledge in above cars are correct?

Lancer EX are still has carburetors and manufacture in Taiwan or Thailand not japan. I like a car from japan.

Only problem I have with mazda is the dealer company has poor customer rating of their services and difficult in finding good auto parts. One of my friend has a mazda and he's not happy with them. he says they don't even know the correct oil types to use and reckless hence so difficult to get good service or repair done by them. he also suggested an Axela but with above concerns to think. 

Honda civics has cvt gear boxes right? It is said that their CVT has been problematic. they have less life time and needed to replace.

I know every car has problems but I don't know much about and it concerns me that is why im looking for the best overall car!

some axios advertised as toyota lanka maintained. at least TL services is reliable right?

10 hours ago, DHerath said:

Lancer EX are still has carburetors and manufacture in Taiwan or Thailand not japan. I like a car from japan

As far as I know Lancer EX has  ECI-MULTI @Davy correct me if im wrong 

Well if the car is manufactured by Mitsubishi they ensure it meets the same quality standards - regardless where it is made. The Lancer EX is made in Japan,China,Taiwan, Brazil Thailand - AFAIK it's the same car. So you don't have to worry about it. It's not something like the Renault Kwid. The EX is a wonderful car - way ahead of it's competition in terms of handling, comfort etc. 

Only problem I have with mazda is the dealer company has poor customer rating of their services and difficult in finding good auto parts

That's why there are alternatives - for example people rely on M**na motors for spares. 

Honda civics has cvt gear boxes right? It is said that their CVT has been problematic. they have less life time and needed to replace

Even Axios and new allions  have CVT gear boxes. Funny how people always think of Honda CVT boxes failing when Axio CVTs fail en-masse around 100,000 km - if not taken care of properly EVERY damn cvt will fail. 

20 hours ago, DHerath said:

but I'm not in to hybrid systems much because lots of ppl say hybrids give problems after years of use

this is similar to the wisdom of the 1990s regarding automatic gear boxes. You will see even the older hybrids holding up well. Take a look at the number of 2007/8 Honda Civic FD3s still running well. If you're looking for a hybrid just get it checked. It's not as scary as it sounds. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, DHerath said:

some axios advertised as toyota lanka maintained. at least TL services is reliable right?

Not really...the unfortunate reality in SL is that pretty much all the agents are not very good...they all have their faults. Having faults is fine as long as they fess up to it and rectify them...unfortunately that doesn't always happen or happen smoothly with SL agents.

After reading your posts for the last few days...I have the perfect car for you ! and that is...nothing !

I hope you realize that you have found fault with every type of car....most of them by falling victim to the common myths that for the most part have rooted in society through maka-baas and car-salesmen talk. 

There is no such thing as a perfect car....they ALL have ISSUES ! 

As for agents not following through on their commitments to the brand....these days there are plenty of third party suppliers of parts and you get quite a few decent garages (since you are willing to go to the agent I am presuming you are not on the look out for a cheap baas)

Edited by iRage
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, DHerath said:

Thanks a lot Clark'sson, The only reason I thought of toyotas are their cars consistency in the market. easy to find good parts, maintenance and most has good fuel eco too. Your right about mileage of axios and allions too. 

But can you tell my whether my knowledge in above cars are correct?

Lancer EX are still has carburetors and manufacture in Taiwan or Thailand not japan. I like a car from japan.

Only problem I have with mazda is the dealer company has poor customer rating of their services and difficult in finding good auto parts. One of my friend has a mazda and he's not happy with them. he says they don't even know the correct oil types to use and reckless hence so difficult to get good service or repair done by them. he also suggested an Axela but with above concerns to think. 

Honda civics has cvt gear boxes right? It is said that their CVT has been problematic. they have less life time and needed to replace.

I know every car has problems but I don't know much about and it concerns me that is why im looking for the best overall car!

Your knowledge about cars sounds like typical Sri Lankan knowledge.

Knowledge fed by the village idiots all over the country to their friends and neighbours.

1. Easy to find good parts for Toyotas - WRONG. Its easy to find fake/duplicate parts for Toyotas. That's why they are popular. A genuine Toyota part will cost almost the same price as the part of a Mazda or even a Volvo sometimes.

2. Lancer EX Made in Thailand or Taiwan - WRONG. I have quoted this story in Autolanka many times in the past so at the risk of sounding senile, let me quote again. A friend of mine had a Ford Laser BH (Made in Japan) which came with an engine made in Thailand or Malaysia (cant remember exactly which country but the user manual clearly mentioned that it was a Thailand or Malaysia sourced engine). That car was used for 360,000km and to the day he sold it, it never had a single drop of oil leak or even a bit of under-compression. It always started on teh first go in the morning. So would I doubt the quality of a car made in Thailand or Malaysia? Never! 

3. Difficult to find good auto parts for Mazda - WRONG. Its probably easier to find a genuine part for a Mazda than a Toyota. Most Toyota parts (if you don't buy from agent) in the market are fake. C^rmart is an exceptionally bad agent. Tell your friend to take his car to Colonial Motors or Mazna.

4. Honda Civic CVT Gearboxes are problematic - Semi-truth. Yes, Civic CVT gearboxes, if not maintained properly, will give problems. Its the same story with Axios and Allions. As an added bonus, you will also get cracking dashboards if you buy an Axio.

5. I'm looking for the best overall car - sorry, you will never find the perfect car or the perfect girl.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, matroska said:

Well if the car is manufactured by Mitsubishi they ensure it meets the same quality standards - regardless where it is made. The Lancer EX is made in Japan,China,Taiwan, Brazil Thailand - AFAIK it's the same car. So you don't have to worry about it. It's not something like the Renault Kwid. The EX is a wonderful car - way ahead of it's competition in terms of handling, comfort etc. 

That's why there are alternatives - for example people rely on M**na motors for spares. 

Even Axios and new allions  have CVT gear boxes. Funny how people always think of Honda CVT boxes failing when Axio CVTs fail en-masse around 100,000 km - if not taken care of properly EVERY damn cvt will fail. 

this is similar to the wisdom of the 1990s regarding automatic gear boxes. You will see even the older hybrids holding up well. Take a look at the number of 2007/8 Honda Civic FD3s still running well. If you're looking for a hybrid just get it checked. It's not as scary as it sounds. 

Thak you matroska for the opinions. I would like very much to go for a hybrid if my fear of batter fails and maintenance prblems are false. But I don't know whether there are hybrid sedans available for my budget! I will look for a good one which is better model in your knowledge?

4 hours ago, iRage said:

Not really...the unfortunate reality in SL is that pretty much all the agents are not very good...they all have their faults. Having faults are fine as long as they fess up to it and rectify them...unfortunately that doesn't always happen or happen smoothly with SL agents.

After reading your posts for the last few days...I have the perfect car for you ! and that is...nothing !

I hope you realize that you have found fault with every type of car....most of them by falling victim to the common myths that for the most part have rooted in society through maka-baas and car-salesmen talk. 

There is no such thing as a perfect car....they ALL have ISSUES ! 

As for agents not following through on their commitments to the brand....these days there are plenty of third party suppliers of parts and you get quite a few decent garages (since you are willing to go to the agent I am presuming you are not on the look out for a cheap baas)

Hey iRage thanks for the opinions!

I'm not looking for a perfect car bro. I know every car has thier own downfalls, Since I don't know much about them I just want to find an overall better one so I know that can have problems too but if those can be well look after with good agents or good 3rd party gurages with good parts available to do so that's what I'm looking for. your completely roght every car I looked up to has some problem according to my research. But I don't want to be fooled when buying a car and get in trouble after buying one, that's all I want. 

I thought looking for a TL maintained car would be better thinking TL services are reliable! But if what you say is true no matter which service station did services at least they are done and I can check the car before buying with some place like c*a*r c*h*e*k*s at nugegoda

16 hours ago, DHerath said:

:huh: So far i am satisfied with the agents services (Colonial), 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Crosswind said:

Knowledge fed by the village idiots all over the country to their friends and neighbours.

1. Easy to find good parts for Toyotas - WRONG. Its easy to find fake/duplicate parts for Toyotas. That's why they are popular. A genuine Toyota part will cost almost the same price as the part of a Mazda or even a Volvo sometimes.

2. Lancer EX Made in Thailand or Taiwan - WRONG. I have quoted this story in Autolanka many times in the past so at the risk of sounding senile, let me quote again. A friend of mine had a Ford Laser BH (Made in Japan) which came with an engine made in Thailand or Malaysia (cant remember exactly which country but the user manual clearly mentioned that it was a Thailand or Malaysia sourced engine). That car was used for 360,000km and to the day he sold it, it never had a single drop of oil leak or even a bit of under-compression. It always started on teh first go in the morning. So would I doubt the quality of a car made in Thailand or Malaysia? Never! 

3. Difficult to find good auto parts for Mazda - WRONG. Its probably easier to find a genuine part for a Mazda than a Toyota. Most Toyota parts (if you don't buy from agent) in the market are fake. C^rmart is an exceptionally bad agent. Tell your friend to take his car to Colonial Motors or Mazna.

4. Honda Civic CVT Gearboxes are problematic - Semi-truth. Yes, Civic CVT gearboxes, if not maintained properly, will give problems. Its the same story with Axios and Allions. As an added bonus, you will also get cracking dashboards if you buy an Axio.

5. I'm looking for the best overall car - sorry, you will never find the perfect car or the perfect girl.

Crosswind wow thanks man your post is very informative!! thanks a lot. I know I'm stupid regarding this topic since I don't have much knowledge!

Toyota parts - Exactly! Toyota 3rd party good parts are easy to find than mazda! at least that's what my friend told me.

Lancer EX - know somebody who has a Lancer EX! I do also love the car! He personally told me it's a great car, but somebody else told me it's not from japan that's where my doubts came. If what you say is true I really like to look for a Lancer EX too.

Mazda Parts - Thaks for that info. I will definitely tell my friend about that. He also said mazda parts are very reliable most are manufacture in finland or somewhere. If your recomended places are better with providing good care I have no fear of going for a Axela which my friend says a good car!

Honda CVT - Yes almost all CVT's have problems, But I've been told that toyota CVT's have a chain and Honda's have a belt and chain has much more life in to it that the belt and that's why most honda's CVT's has lesser life time. woah I didn't knew about axio's poor interiors. Thanks for this bro really Informative!!

So all in all I can look for a Mazda Axela, Lancer EX (which I really like), and an allion (better than axio right!)

17 minutes ago, Quiet said:

Thanks Quit for sharing that! Yes I will tell about colonial and mazna to my friend and if it is good as it sound I can go for a Axela too! so my top picks at the time would be a Lancer EX or a Axela B);)

6 hours ago, matroska said:

Correct. I can't believe people think a 2008+ regular Japanese car comes with carburettor a engine. Even most of the previous generation (2002+) came with EFI. 

45 minutes ago, Quiet said:

My father was maintaining the Demio at the agents and decided to switch to Mazna after so many blunders (missing dash trims, broken AC vents etc.), poor workmanship (power steering repair didn't even last a month, their tune ups don't even include a diagnostic scan). Mazna on the other hand was able to fix the power steering, carry out body repair to perfection and maintain the car to our satisfaction. I honestly think they're better than the agent. Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Davy said:

My father was maintaining the Demio at the agents and decided to switch to Mazna after so many blunders (missing dash trims, broken AC vents etc.), poor workmanship (power steering repair didn't even last a month, their tune ups don't even include a diagnostic scan). Mazna on the other hand was able to fix the power steering, carry out body repair to perfection and maintain the car to our satisfaction. I honestly think they're better than the agent. Just my 2 cents. 

Well mine is still under warranty so i guess my experience is rather skewed (not screwed)

• Like 1

I own a Lancer EX, I'm pretty sure it's made in Japan. Even all the user manuals are printed in Japan.

Chassis code says the same:

fbzWdY8.png

Identification paper on the windscreen when the car was imported from Japan

sTLOCG4.png

And it doesn't have a carburetor - seriously, whoever told you that has no idea what he is talking about.

Edited by Hyaenidae
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, DHerath said:

Thaks a lot you guys for all the info!!! I'mdown to a good allion, premio, Civic fd4 or a lancer ex!! thanks for all the help!! :rolleyes:B)

good luck. (specially finding a good allion will require quite a bit of good luck :)

There is no Vehicle 100% manufactured in a single county they are assembled in the country using parts from all over the world.

I had one of the 1st Lancer EX and know for fact that the Engine was manufactured in Germany in the Joint venture company of Daimler Chrysler - Mitsubishi

ABS, EFI, HID lights were manufactured by Bosh

Other parts would have been manufactured in Japan, China, Thailand, Taiwan etc..

Since you are buying a 5-10 year old car you will have the advantage of knowing the market reputation of a particular model.

On 3/30/2018 at 1:04 PM, Crosswind said:

I second all.