• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

alto vs mira

Hishan

Question

i hope to buy a new japan small car.so i would like to ask Suzuki alto and dihatsu mira in both cars in sri lanka wish model was popular and value for the secondhand market.most of the people say suzuki alto is a better than for dihatsu mira. because i have much confusion.

20 answers to this question

In Japan kei cars for the most part are the same...generally equally well built simplistically. What sets one model apart from the other is the package and the purpose the package is geared for and the dealer services offered. 

When you say Mira...are you talking about the Mira or the Mira eS (in Sri Lanka we have  a bad habit of changing names)? They are two different cars. The Mira was first introduced in 2006ish ? and is still on sale with just engine updates. So the platform is 12 years old. It seems to be quite popular as a business kei car (probably because it is one of the few that offer a stripped down business version)...

The Mira e.S on the other hand is the next evolution of the Mira and was introduced in 2011 and got a new model in 2017. It is the E.S that Toyota also sells. There is nothing wrong with the Mira E.S. I haven't driven or ridden in one..but seems quite roomier than the Alto. Finish wise...like I said...kei cars are mostly the same....same thing only different :)

I have driven an Alto RS Turbo and that was quite nippy with harder suspension, lower profile tires, etc... however the normal Alto would probably have softer suspension with normal wheels; so ride wise and handling wise I would imagine it won't be too different from the Mira eS.

• Like 1

...and here we have the first point I was trying to make..people blindly going around calling something Mira.

Mira and Mira e.S are two different cars....

See below ! ..as for the rest of my take on it...see my first comment/reply

Mira e.S

Kết quả hình ảnh cho Mira E.S

Mira:

Kết quả hình ảnh cho Daihatsu Mira

3 hours ago, noddy said:

both are the same 660 model, susuki is more common it is easier to find spares. 

No they are not the same model. They are both in the same CATEGORY of cars....the Alto is a Suzuki with a Suzuki engine and the Mira e.S and Mira are Daihatsu with a Daihatsu engine. So no..they are not the same model :)

As for spares accessibility, I believe the Mira e.S (and the Toyota equivalent) are starting to come to SL so parts situation might change soon. But at the end of the day....even for a rare car...we always find parts....you just have t plan accordingly...

Toyota And Suzuki Officially Confirm Technology Partnership Agreement

CarAndBike Team By CarAndBike Team | Updated: Nov 20, 2017 07:37 PM

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Highlights

• Toyota & Suzuki will jointly work new safety and information technologies
  • The companies could jointly work on autonomous driving tech as well
  • The partnership will see a host of components being shared by automakers

One of the biggest Japanese automotive giants, Toyota Motor Corporation and Suzuki Motor Corporation have officially come together under a new business partnership. The auto manufacturers had first announced the intention to collaborate over new ideas back in October 2016 and since then, and finally announced the new partnership earlier this week. The news certainly emerges as one of the biggest in the auto industry globally as one of the biggest carmakers will be exploring for a possible cooperation in new tech, safety as well as component sharing.

As per the joint statement issued by the manufacturers, Toyota and Suzuki are investigating possible collaborations on "environmental technologies, safety technologies, information technologies, and mutual supply of products and components." The statement further read that the two companies are to immediately establish an implementation framework aimed at bringing to realization the points agreed.

The same 660 engine. with different badges. 

4 hours ago, noddy said:

Toyota And Suzuki Officially Confirm Technology Partnership Agreement

CarAndBike Team By CarAndBike Team | Updated: Nov 20, 2017 07:37 PM

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Highlights

• Toyota & Suzuki will jointly work new safety and information technologies
  • The companies could jointly work on autonomous driving tech as well
  • The partnership will see a host of components being shared by automakers...

The same 660 engine. with different badges. ..

I guess you skipped reading the article :)

As the article itself says the collaboration is mainly for safety technologies and vehicle IS....the partnership was to work on green technologies as well but nothing has come out of it so far. In fact nothing has come out of this partnership at all thus far and most of the things are still in R&D. 

Saying the Alto is the same as the Mira e:S is just like saying the Axela is the same as the Prius ! If you knew anything about what you are talking about you would know that the Alto has a R series engine which has been developed by Suzuki and Mira e:S has a KF series engine (which was first developed in 2006 ! and has been constantly updated and improved)

So no....You are wrong. NOT the SAME car different badges !

Edited by iRage

3 hours ago, noddy said:

what I said was that the all the 660 kie cars have almost the same engine, because the output is limited.  :rolleyes: 

Is there a car which having unlimited output ? :o

• Like 1

I am having a ball in the Mira Es 

In fact when my wife wanted to sell it I kept it and bought her a hustler 

The Mira is ahead of the alto EXCEPT FOR THE RS TURBO AND WORKS which I daily covet 

Mira pulls better

Has more rear leg room 

Has more luggage room

Both have boring dashboards but the Mira has a bit less boring gauge cluster. Led digital and all 

As for looks

The alto has this angry puppy face but a van like butt

Whereas the Mira has a boring front end but the rear is kinda ok.

Upto u, 

Edited by tiv

7 hours ago, iRage said:

As the article itself says the collaboration is mainly for safety technologies and vehicle IS....the partnership was to work on green technologies as well but nothing has come out of it so far. In fact nothing has come out of this partnership at all thus far and most of the things are still in R&D. 

Saying the Alto is the same as the Mira e:S is just like saying the Axela is the same as the Prius ! If you knew anything about what you are talking about you would know that the Alto has a R series engine which has been developed by Suzuki and Mira e:S has a KF series engine (which was first developed in 2006 ! and has been constantly updated and improved)

I guess we are being trolled

12 hours ago, tiv said:

The alto has this angry puppy face but a van like butt

Whereas the Mira has a boring front end but the rear is kinda ok.

The thing i like about the alto looks wise is it has a bit of a retro-hatch look to it....

the mira's rear lights looks very toy-like  

19 hours ago, iRage said:

I think this partnership is definitely more on the safety front. Similar auto-breaking function & lane departure package is now common across both company variants (i.e. Toyota/Daihatsu - Pixis/Mira ES, Passo/Boon, Vitz, Tank.. VS Suzuki - Wagon R, Swift, Hustler...). They must be sharing some common cheaper platform across both their ranges. Earlier toyota offered these options only on their high end models like Harrier, Lexus etc.. Suzuki changed the game by bringing it to their low-end  models as well. Now toyota is on par as well.

Power/Drive-train wise have to agree with iRage that these are two different animals. If you've driven the two you'd notice the difference in experience. Comparing specs the alto has a slightly higher power output & low end torque. Differences maybe slight but that doesn't mean you can call them the same. Nws definitely a right move I'd say for Toyota/Suzuki. With more & more companies focusing nowadays on their  core competence makes sense to share/outsource capabilities which have reached similar levels in the outside market.

Nws considering the two models received to lanka, majority of Mira ES (17-18) comes with the safety package options as standard as whereas alto its more of an option. Also Mira ES doesn't employ any mild-hybrid/S-ene charge/ISG motors etc but delivers the almost similar fuel efficiency as the Alto S -ene charge through a slightly different idle-stop/start system & efficient powertrain.

End of the day my advice is drive both cars, take your missus or close family/friends for an opinion. Go for the model that makes you happiest. Evaluate on looks, feel inside the cabin, visibility, extra options etc against your budget. Fuel consumption, second hand value is not going to be too different anyway. So don't bother too much about it. 

Another marketing campaign for mira like that cefiro thread....?.

Without talking too much about fuel consumption let's have some fun. When searching AL forum, I found a funny question asked by a member. I was laughing remembering about that question and answers....?

I know this is thread is pretty old, nevertheless going to share my ultra-positive experience on the fuel consumption of the Daihatsu Mira (Toyota Pixis). We had a Peradua Kenari as a 2nd car and it never did more than 10-12km/liter (town running in Kandy). We upgraded the Kenari to a 2016 December Mira in November 2018 and I'm blown away by it's fuel consumption.

Even with the usual Kandy traffic, it does 20 km/liter and still above 16 km/l even with really bad traffic.

I took a drive to Colombo last weekend mainly to check out its fuel consumption and I was blown away even further!

I started with a full tank from Kandy.

Till about Pasyala (from Kandy) it averaged over 32 km/liter and by the time I got to my destination in Dehiwala, it had gone down to about 28 km/liter. All these values are based on the fuel consumption gauge on the dashboard.

Just to double check that reading, when I came back to Kandy, I pumped fuel again. The whole trip had been 260 km and I pumped 11 liters which gives an average of ~23.5 km/l. This was the total trip from Kandy-Colombo-Kandy. There was plenty of traffic in Yakkala, Kiribathgoda etc. etc.

All in all, this was an amazing experience and I love every bit about this car. The technology is just unbelievable and my advice for anyone looking for a car of this size to go with a Mira or Pixis or the like and to avoid 'hybrid' WagonRs and the like at any cost.

BTW, before I made up my mind to purchase the Mira, I test drove a WagonR; I won't mention numbers here, but the fuel consumption was nowhere near what I'm getting on the Mira.

Amazing car... two thumbs up.. can recommend to anyone looking for high fuel efficiency!

Chanaka