• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Home Renovation/ Decoration Advices

PreseaLover

Guys, so I have a house which I will be living in alone.. And I'm ready to renovate it/ Decorate it as I always wanted to. However I need some advices as to where I could source the products for a good price. Let me know if i should look in any particular places? Following are the stuff I have in my todo list. (The house is a 15 perch single story house with a garden). Also could you let me know the approximate cost that will incur for each of these, so that I would know if im going out of budget or not.

1. Home Bar (I have the cupboard, to put the bottles, I just need a stand to go behind and serve drinks)

2. A moosehead 

3. Bear Mat

4. CCTV Camera 

5. Home theatre system (5.1 speaker set or something)

6. Ornaments like big Horses, Huge Clocks, Vintage Pictures of these old english musicians etc. 

7. A Chandelier

8. Nice Bulb holders

9. A couch set

10. A tree house (To have a drink outside and have a nice view)

I've got an idea about the moose head :D The CCTV system you can DIY, I've seen good quality IP camera sets with mini NVR available in eBay for less than 30k, maybe 4 cameras are adequate for now? If you have an existing network around the house you can directly plug them or else get wi-fi (slightly more expensive), installation would be easy because of the limited wires but streaming quality would be poor at higher resolutions.

Moolchands or last chance for chandeliers? There are some more shops in Pettah. Not sure about the price though maybe 25-30k

Couch/ sofa I recommend Damro. Get a genuine leather sofa set, nice and comfy. Prices starts from 100k I think.

Edited by asrock

For Sofa’s I’d also recommend Damro. We have a fabric 3 piece set which has been abused for nearly 10 years now but still holding up well. Cushions have not lost their shape as well as softness. Only the fabrics have faded due to exposure to sunlight.

Are you serious about stuff like big Horses, Huge Clocks, Vintage Pictures of old english musicians, moose heads and fancy Chandeliers etc? Coz; nowadays the trend in interior design is towards low cost minimalistic stuff. For an example Ornaments with simple shapes, Coffee tables out of old wooden pallets, simple drawings, soft and pale color schemes etc. These designs are simple and easy on your eye which eases up your senses as well. So, you might wanna do some research on these stuff before committing a fortune on fancy expensive stuff. Maybe you have already done the research but it’s not your cuppa tea. But I would seriously request you to re-consider ?

Edited by LashNeo

26 minutes ago, LashNeo said:

For Sofa’s I’d also recommend Damro. We have a fabric 3 piece set which has been abused for nearly 10 years now but still holding up well. Cushions have not lost their shape as well as softness. Only the fabrics have faded due to exposure to sunlight.

Are you serious about stuff like big Horses, Huge Clocks, Vintage Pictures of old english musicians, moose heads and fancy Chandeliers etc? Coz; nowadays the trend in interior design is towards low cost minimalistic stuff. For an example Ornaments with simple shapes, Coffee tables out of old wooden pallets, simple drawings, soft and pale color schemes etc. These designs are simple and easy on your eye which eases up your senses as well. So, you might wanna do some research on these stuff before committing a fortune on fancy expensive stuff. Maybe you have already done the research but it’s not your cuppa tea. But I would seriously request you to re-consider ?

Yeah I understand your point. But however I have a strong connection towards art. I had a lot of wall drawings like angels and demons because the house was haunted, and then i painted and removed all the drawings.. So these horses and shit fascinates me :D 

With regards to sofa's i guess those are very expensive and really outta my budget.. so maybe i can look for a second hand one from the quick site ryt? 

Ah also I'm looking to fix an electric gate.. Would you be knowing how much would it cost for that? I'd like a wooden gate too, but will it cost way more than an aluminium electric gate? 

30 minutes ago, LashNeo said:

Same here machan, has 2 of them, one artificial leather at my parents house and a fabric one at my house. More than 10 years old but still not a scratch.

Just now, PreseaLover said:

Ah also I'm looking to fix an electric gate.. Would you be knowing how much would it cost for that? I'd like a wooden gate too, but will it cost way more than an aluminium electric gate? 

Got a 9' x 14' remote roller door fixed for 100k from *lcardo, yes the wooden gates will cost more but looks much nice.

6 hours ago, PreseaLover said:

6. Ornaments like big Horses, Huge Clocks,

for some reason when I first saw this I missed the 'L' in clocks....

36 minutes ago, PreseaLover said:

horses and shit fascinates me :D 

and then I saw this ... this all sounds very weird bro 

P.S: Did you forget to add the large freezer to store the hair and nails of your victims

Edited by matroska
  • Haha 2

It looks like you want to decorate it in retro/vintage style. What I suggest is go to schokman and samerawickreme auctions. Usually they have an auction just before April New Year holidays.

They have all kinds of vintage/antique style wall hangings, candelabras, brassware, chandeliers, retro furniture, gramophones, records, crystalware, Beer mugs, goblets etc. You can bid and get them for a fairly good price. I have never seen moose heads or bear mats though.

Keep an eye on www-sandslanka-comThey don't have anything on the site right now but I'm sure something will come up soon.

Also try Dallas Kelaart's auctions (Dharmarama Road, Wellawatte). Their items are not as good as Samarawickereme's but they too have some retro stuff.

And for heaven's sake, get married soon. it may already be too late for you.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

It looks like you want to decorate it in retro/vintage style. What I suggest is go to schokman and samerawickreme auctions. Usually they have an auction just before April New Year holidays.

They have all kinds of vintage/antique style wall hangings, candelabras, brassware, chandeliers, retro furniture, gramophones, records, crystalware, Beer mugs, goblets etc. You can bid and get them for a fairly good price. I have never seen moose heads or bear mats though.

Keep an eye on www-sandslanka-comThey don't have anything on the site right now but I'm sure something will come up soon.

Also try Dallas Kelaart's auctions (Dharmarama Road, Wellawatte). Their items are not as good as Samarawickereme's but they too have some retro stuff.

And for heaven's sake, get married soon. it may already be too late for you.

Ah nice, will check thanks cross :)

Nah, just broke up 2 months back :D

1 hour ago, matroska said:

for some reason when I first saw this I missed the 'L' in clocks....

and then I saw this ... this all sounds very weird bro 

P.S: Did you forget to add the large freezer to store the hair and nails of your victims

:D

8 hours ago, PreseaLover said:

Guys, so I have a house which I will be living in alone.. And I'm ready to renovate it/ Decorate it as I always wanted to. However I need some advices as to where I could source the products for a good price. Let me know if i should look in any particular places? Following are the stuff I have in my todo list. (The house is a 15 perch single story house with a garden). Also could you let me know the approximate cost that will incur for each of these, so that I would know if im going out of budget or not.

1. Home Bar (I have the cupboard, to put the bottles, I just need a stand to go behind and serve drinks)

2. A moosehead 

3. Bear Mat

4. CCTV Camera 

6. Ornaments like big Horses, Huge Clocks, Vintage Pictures of these old english musicians etc. 

7. A Chandelier

8. Nice Bulb holders

9. A couch set

10. A tree house (To have a drink outside and have a nice view)

Plus - Elect

Oh and BTW forgot to add some inputs to the actual questions

1. I know a guy who would make this to your spec - but he's undergone surgery so out of action for 3 months

2. No idea 

3. No Idea

4. Again PM me if you want to know someone who will source the equipment and do all the setup etc if you're lazy to do that

5. This is the easiest thing on the list

6. No Idea

7 and 8 : Last chance (expensive) or those generic shops in Pettah.

9. Damro is recommended reasonable prices + decent quality. 

10. Get hold of a Baaas.

Electric Gate - I used ThreeS*nha ~105 k for a 14X9  door. Wooden Gates are a bit hard to maintain honestly. 

10 minutes ago, matroska said:

Oh and BTW forgot to add some inputs to the actual questions

1. I know a guy who would make this to your spec - but he's undergone surgery so out of action for 3 months

2. No idea 

3. No Idea

4. Again PM me if you want to know someone who will source the equipment and do all the setup etc if you're lazy to do that

5. This is the easiest thing on the list

6. No Idea

7 and 8 : Last chance (expensive) or those generic shops in Pettah.

9. Damro is recommended reasonable prices + decent quality. 

10. Get hold of a Baaas.

Electric Gate - I used ThreeS*nha ~105 k for a 14X9  door. Wooden Gates are a bit hard to maintain honestly. 

how about the price of a home theatre system? Main purpose is loud music and movies. a 5 speaker setup would be fine. Should be able to plug a pendrive to it. 

3 hours ago, PreseaLover said:

how about the price of a home theatre system? Main purpose is loud music and movies. a 5 speaker setup would be fine. Should be able to plug a pendrive to it. 

Don't get those local brands, abans, singer etc, if possible go for a Japanese brand such as Panasonic, Kenwood, Pioneer. Price would be at least 50k depending on the brand and features.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, PreseaLover said:

For the home theatre system, consider an LED Projector (with at least HD (better yet Full HD) Native resolution and  3D support it that's your cup of tea). A colleague has something similar projected on to a 15 foot screen (180 inches) and it looks really amazing. if you have some extra dough, consider upgrading to a laser projector or 4K native resolution (both of these features will jack up the price exponentially though).

Right now price wise, the sweet spot is hovering around LED with HD native resolution, with LED backlit projectors being pushed aside by laser based ones, it might not make sense to upgrade to the latest and greatest yet.

1 hour ago, Insedious said:

For the home theatre system, consider an LED Projector (with at least HD (better yet Full HD) Native resolution and  3D support it that's your cup of tea). A colleague has something similar projected on to a 15 foot screen (180 inches) and it looks really amazing. if you have some extra dough, consider upgrading to a laser projector or 4K native resolution (both of these features will jack up the price exponentially though).

Right now price wise, the sweet spot is hovering around LED with HD native resolution, with LED backlit projectors being pushed aside by laser based ones, it might not make sense to upgrade to the latest and greatest yet.

nah I dont have the much of a budget. Just looking for something simple though

On 3/28/2018 at 10:43 AM, Pericles said:

A Moose Head and a Bear rug? Ado, are you trolling us? This is SL, we do Buffalo heads. 

hahaha no im not trolling :D

ok so I have sorted and found most of the things out... just one more thing pending which I wanna do.. Any of you know where I can frame this picture in the link below.. This shouldnt be a normal glass frame... this is a canvas art, so this needs to be fitted into the wooden frames from behind which doesnt show from the outside, so when I hang this on the wall, it shows like the picture is directly fitted onto the wall without a frame border.. anyone know a place where i could get this nailed into a wooden stick frame for a lower price? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Unframed-Modern-Art-Oil-Painting-Print-Canvas-Picture-Home-Wall-Room-Decoration/183126199610?epid=26016530460&hash=item2aa32c0d3a:m:mO2TTxHJ6m8F7he8wL7GMGg

7 hours ago, PreseaLover said:

These are Sri Lankan paintings ryt? Nah, I'm looking for some foreign art like world anime paintings which you cannot find in Sri Lanka

Yes and you’ll be surprised by the skills of local artists. Just visit the pola next time, not to buy only looksy.

anyway we are definitely not on the same page wrt paintings. 

Good luck with your search.

So here's an extract of a conversation I had the other day with an Uber guy:

Him: Where this place?

Me: Do you have the location?

Him: Yes

Me: OK, that's where the place is.  At the location.

Him: Number?

Me: There is no number, it's the only house without a number ... get to the location and stop at the location.  You will know it because it is the ONLY place without a number.

Him: Landmark?

Me: Well there are two: It's the only place at the location and it's the only one without a number.

Him: I can't see this place.

Me: Are you at the location?

Him: No, on the way.  

Me: Well, you will see it, when you get to the location.

Him: Where this place?

After wondering whether he is just trying to find material for his stand up at some open mic event, it dawned on me that my attempt to make my house stand out ironically, by having no number, I have opened up a totally new pathway for people to annoy me.  In addition, I now realise at the tail end of my breakfast margarita, that not only is it not funny, it is actually completely moronic.  And I apologise for this.

Does anyone know where I can get metal/metallic house numbers?

Edited by ShintaroX

• 3 years later...

When I was renovating my apartment, I had a fairly small budget. Still, I wanted to decorate it so that the interior looked very stylish and aesthetic. My wife is very fond of hunting, so we started decorating the walls, hung up a moulage gun, the heads of various animals. Then I decided to add austerity to our apartment and change the goto radiatoroutlet.co.uk. We got an apartment in an austere style, even quite masculine.

Edited by royalappleby

• 1 year later...

Hey, your home renovation and decoration plans sound exciting! I was just wondering how you did on your project.I can relate to the struggle of finding the right pieces at a good price. Speaking of home upgrades, we recently got an outdoor pizza oven, which led us to rethink our outdoor dining area. I stumbled upon this link with loads of furniture options, and now I'm in a bit of a dilemma, trying to pick the perfect pieces.So, if you're ever in the mood for some home decor inspiration or looking for budget-friendly options, give that website a visit.

Edited by Spirullon