• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

My first car - new Kia or import used Toyota from Japan?

HelaS

Question

Hello guys! I need some advice for buying my first car. My maximum budget is restricted to around 3 million, so I have few options. What do you think is best - buy a brand new manual Kia Picanto (around 3 mil the last time I checked) or import something like a  2015/2016 Vitz from Japan? Or forget both and go the local second-hand route with possible risks involved? I won't be actually buying one until a year or so, but I'm doing some research in advance anyway. I have zero prior experience with cars. Thanks for your opinions and advice!

5 answers to this question

23 minutes ago, HelaS said:

Hello guys! I need some advice for buying my first car. My maximum budget is restricted to around 3 million, so I have few options. What do you think is best - buy a brand new manual Kia Picanto (around 3 mil the last time I checked) or import something like a  2015/2016 Vitz from Japan? Or forget both and go the local second-hand route with possible risks involved? I won't be actually buying one until a year or so, but I'm doing some research in advance anyway. I have zero prior experience with cars. Thanks for your opinions and advice!

you can't get a Vitz for that budget - they go for 3.5 mil range which is totally unjustifiable for the 1L vitz. If you don't want to buy one of em numerous Jap 660 CC kei cars the picanto remains your only choice and I think is a good choice given that it's a rather refined car + you get it B/New with warranty etc. 

If you're willing to invest some time and effort the second hand market is ripe with options for that budget range 

On 3/21/2018 at 5:37 PM, HelaS said:

Buying a used car is not really as complicated and threatening as the average person seems to think it is. All you need to do is inspect any prospective purchase properly, make sure it has been well maintained and buy it at a fair price. There are places that can do the inspection in an unbiased manner nowadays too. Of course it takes some time and effort on your part so you need to have the patience for it. A good start is the excellent guide "How to Buy a Used Car in Sri Lanka" which is on the forum, written by member Saturn. It is a few years old but all the information is still spot on.