• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sending a used Mazda-3 2.0L SkyActive 2015 from Australia

VecLa

Question

Hi,

Hope someone/expert can help me on this.

I would like to know:

1. Is it possible to send a car just over 2years, to SL?

2. As per current duty structure, how much would it be for 2.0L SkyActive Mazda-3   + any other charges at destination

3. What is the procedure to send a used car to SL?

Appreciate your experience, knowledge and any suggestions on this.

Thanks.

24 answers to this question

45 minutes ago, VecLa said:

Thanks for the response. Seems like, it works as 1cc=6000. Kind of funny duty system.

Depend on the engine size, smaller engines got less value for 1cc. Usually changes every other budget.

we’ve got lot of funny going on here. Come, have fun.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, maersk said:

Depend on the engine size, smaller engines got less value for 1cc. Usually changes every other budget.

we’ve got lot of funny going on here. Come, have fun.

Thanks for the comment. So, it sounds like, for smaller engines, 1cc has different value and bigger engines have a higher value for that same 1cc. Perhaps it means that the society (who can afford a motor-car) is categorized as low-income & higher-income groups for duty of a motor vehicle, and the duty is based on either Robbin-hood model or sea-pirate model....doesn't make sense.

Actually, I intend coming to SL for some period and just got this idea of sending one car from here in Aus, as I happened to see 6 Honda CR-Vs kept parked for shipping from Aus at one of the freight forwarder here. But looking at 'ajm's response, it is absurd to do so.

3 hours ago, VecLa said:

Thanks for the comment. So, it sounds like, for smaller engines, 1cc has different value and bigger engines have a higher value for that same 1cc. Perhaps it means that the society (who can afford a motor-car) is categorized as low-income & higher-income groups for duty of a motor vehicle, and the duty is based on either Robbin-hood model or sea-pirate model....doesn't make sense.

Actually, I intend coming to SL for some period and just got this idea of sending one car from here in Aus, as I happened to see 6 Honda CR-Vs kept parked for shipping from Aus at one of the freight forwarder here. But looking at 'ajm's response, it is absurd to do so.

No no best is to get the CRV. It is 1500cc so the duty will be Rs. 4.875 Mn. (1500*3250) car will cost around another Rs. 5.0 Mn.

You will end up getting the car in to SL for less than what you would have paid as duty for Mazda 2.0

Deal is to get the model with the lowest engine capacity

5 hours ago, kush said:

No no best is to get the CRV. It is 1500cc so the duty will be Rs. 4.875 Mn. (1500*3250) car will cost around another Rs. 5.0 Mn.

You will end up getting the car in to SL for less than what you would have paid as duty for Mazda 2.0

Deal is to get the model with the lowest engine capacity

Got it, thanks, Kush. On another aspect, a bit of searching made me understand that if a Lankan is in Gov. sector s/he is lucky to get special treatment over tax paying private sector.

6 hours ago, VecLa said:

Got it, thanks, Kush. On another aspect, a bit of searching made me understand that if a Lankan is in Gov. sector s/he is lucky to get special treatment over tax paying private sector.

Please note that the Politicos here are BMW & Mercs promoters. Their common vehicles !. That is why Japanese manufacturers nowadays produce 1000cc Turbos.

Strange is Politico's Budgets are now smelling & seeking to stop 1000 cc turbo's too. Go for 660cc !.

A Japanese person once told me that Sri Lanka is a No1 Human right violator. When they produce a Mazda 3 at rate of USD 28,000 your government earns  as much as USD70,000 as duties.

What happens to the Megapolis LTR System ?. Common people are now expecting a good train system without cars. in Other countries PMs & Presidents use this transportation. Why not here.??  . A colorful sunrise for such a  day........

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Rohnd said:

Please note that the Politicos here are BMW & Mercs promoters. Their common vehicles !. That is why Japanese manufacturers nowadays produce 1000cc Turbos.

Strange is Politico's Budgets are now smelling & seeking to stop 1000 cc turbo's too. Go for 660cc !.

A Japanese person once told me that Sri Lanka is a No1 Human right violator. When they produce a Mazda 3 at rate of USD 28,000 your government earns  as much as USD70,000 as duties.

What happens to the Megapolis LTR System ?. Common people are now expecting a good train system without cars. in Other countries PMs & Presidents use this transportation. Why not here.??  . A colorful sunrise for such a  day........

Valid point mate. Actually, I just wanted to know answers to few straightforward questions that I wanted to clarify. I am not sure whether it is ok to take this convo to politics. However, reckoning that Autolanka is not just a place that only exists to buy/sell vehicles, but it is also a voice for all motoring community, I would like to make one last point. Personally, I have no issue that politicians or gov. officials use even Ferraris, provided they are fair to all citizens. What I cannot comprehend is, one section of the citizens get duty free permits to buy a car, whilst another section (the very people that the former exists to serve) is asked to pay many-fold duty for the same car. Would a country's constitution allow such an injustice?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, VecLa said:

Valid point mate. Actually, I just wanted to know answers to few straightforward questions that I wanted to clarify. I am not sure whether it is ok to take this convo to politics. However, reckoning that Autolanka is not just a place that only exists to buy/sell vehicles, but it is also a voice for all motoring community, I would like to make one last point. Personally, I have no issue that politicians or gov. officials use even Ferraris, provided they are fair to all citizens. What I cannot comprehend is, one section of the citizens get duty free permits to buy a car, whilst another section (the very people that the former exists to serve) is asked to pay many-fold duty for the same car. Would a country's constitution allow such an injustice?

Very true all public servants should be required to improve their productivity in par with private sector. They should be required to pay taxes, pay duty and buy their vehicles.

They should also be given salaries/ remuneration/ facilities in line with their counterparts in the private sector giving consideration to responsibilities/ qualifications/ skills/ experience.

15 hours ago, Rohnd said:

What ? Japanese manufacturers make 1000cc Tubo cars because our politicians' policies favor large luxury brands ? You do know that the Japanese manufacturers don't care a rat's rear-end about vehicle import policies and politics in SL right ? They take a more global outlook on their product and technology development and in all things SL is quite a small market that can't create much influence. I know car salesmen like to say that SL controls things like the Allion/Premio market and development because we buy so much of it...that is hog wash 

On a serious note...please stay on topic. If you do veer off topic or make a comment that is not relevant to the primary topic itself...PLEASE write it out in Green as per forum guidelines. This way people groing through the topic in future can just skip over irrelevant ramblings.

1 hour ago, Davy said:

The links are from 2013 and seem too good to be true. Do you know anyone who has used these facilities recently?

11 hours ago, VecLa said:

indeed mate. Though we can forgive doctors for requesting permits for obvious reasons. There can be no redemption for other civil servants. IMHO owning a motor vehicle has become a basic human need. Government should not bar people from pursuing their dreams. If people living in Sri Lanka could own a newer and better motor vehicles without breaking sweat I don't think many of them would leave this country for better prospects elsewhere. 

4 hours ago, ajm said:

The links are from 2013 and seem too good to be true. Do you know anyone who has used these facilities recently?

More or less the same process in the Department of Import and Export website. 

http://www.imexport.gov.lk/index.php/en/vehicles-others.html#issuance-of-license

OP can always go to a freight agent (there are Sri Lankan freight agents in Australia who handle all sorts of imports and exports including vehicles) and get their service to minimise the hassle. They will charge a fee and do the paperwork for you and their Sri Lanka office might even assist you with clearing. @VecLa, send me a PM if you need to any contacts of some of them. You may already be knowing some of them if you have sent cargo to Sri Lanka. 

4 hours ago, ajm said:

The scheme gets suspended and then resumed and then suspended again and resumed again....the process is pretty much the same but I strongly recommend you call the relevant authorities to see if it is still offered.

6 hours ago, BuBi said:

indeed mate. Though we can forgive doctors for requesting permits for obvious reasons. There can be no redemption for other civil servants. IMHO owning a motor vehicle has become a basic human need. Government should not bar people from pursuing their dreams. If people living in Sri Lanka could own a newer and better motor vehicles without breaking sweat I don't think many of them would leave this country for better prospects elsewhere. 

What ??? ..and here lies one of the root causes our country's transportation system is non-existant ! I sincerely hope, and think, you meant to say that a car has become a basic necessity due to the bad public transportation services and infrastructure in our country. Basic HUMAN needs are safe and unhindered access to water, food, air, housing, education, health services and public infrastructure. Not cars !

In developed countries having a car is just a quality of life element (and for some a luxury item and for most a burden)...not a basic HUMAN NEED....people leave their cars at home and use public transport because that serves their basic need of safe and fair transport from A to B (how else do you think you are able to get your 2 year old Allions and Gold badge Vezels with just 5000km ?)

Edited by iRage

2 hours ago, iRage said:

What ??? ..and here lies one of the root causes our country's transportation system is non-existant ! I sincerely hope, and think, you meant to say that a car has become a basic necessity due to the bad public transportation services and infrastructure on the country. Basic HUMAN needs are safe and unhindered access to water, food, air, housing, education, health services and public infrastructure. Not cars !

In developed countries having a car is just a quality of life element (and for some a luxury item and for most a burden)...not a basic HUMAN NEED....people leave their cars at home and use public transport because that serves their basic need of safe and fair transport from A to B (how else do you think you are able to get your 2 year old Allions and Gold badge Vezels with just 5000km ?)

Sorry to go off topic, But I do believe that a car is a basic human need nowadays. Everyone loves to own a car. It is not necessarily to go from point A to B but as a symbol of social status. Not all developed countries rely on public transports. Public transports are only better in congested cities. People loves to enjoy the freedom personal vehicle can offer. And the thrill of driving. It is a crime to deny the general public that privilege. 

8 hours ago, BuBi said:

Sorry to go off topic, But I do believe that a car is a basic human need nowadays. Everyone loves to own a car. It is not necessarily to go from point A to B but as a symbol of social status. Not all developed countries rely on public transports. Public transports are only better in congested cities. People loves to enjoy the freedom personal vehicle can offer. And the thrill of driving. It is a crime to deny the general public that privilege. 

It is NOT a basic human need ! it is a Life style element !  You are not going to die or be deprived of a fair chance of living a safe and healthy life if you don't have a car ! Like you yourself said...it is a status symbol and everything you said pertains to life style choices ! NOT A BASIC HUMAN NEED (seriously what have they been teaching in schools lately ? but I shouldn't be surprised; wasn't there a group demanding permits as not getting it violated their human rights as well ?) !!  It used to pertain to one's quality of life but if a country is developed public transportation infrastructure provides a much better quality of life than personal transport. Heck a refrigerator should be considered a basic human need BEFORE a car.

Yes....public transport is mainly used in big cities...sorry I didn't frame it properly. And outside of the big cities personal transport is an auxiliary transport mechanism to compliment the public infrastructure as a matter of convenience....not as a necessity (presuming you are not living in the middle of nowhere with a population of 50).

Like I always say...we as a society have misplaced our values and believing that a "car" is a basic human need is one of the many reasons our country is in such a dilapidated state (we sacrifice "benefits for the collective" for the "individual gain" on a daily basis). We measure a person's worth and success by the car he/she drives and even worst what characters are on its number plate. Yes...we as citizens should not be hindered of the privilege of owning a car; however if we can't have a car and are given a functioning public transportation system; we should not be made to believe that we are oppressed or deprived or poor. In fact we should feel deprived and poor because we don't have a functioning public transport system even when we might have a whole garage full of cars. Many countries in the world have high taxes for cars...so we are not alone in this....responsible governments have utilized those taxes in building public transport systems...our's...well...we all know what happens...

Okay...back to the topic....I will not respond more on this...we will have to agree to disagree and we shall all pray.

Please...if you comment off topic..change the font color to green as per forum guidelines or courtesy.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Davy said:

More or less the same process in the Department of Import and Export website. 

http://www.imexport.gov.lk/index.php/en/vehicles-others.html#issuance-of-license

OP can always go to a freight agent (there are Sri Lankan freight agents in Australia who handle all sorts of imports and exports including vehicles) and get their service to minimise the hassle. They will charge a fee and do the paperwork for you and their Sri Lanka office might even assist you with clearing. @VecLa, send me a PM if you need to any contacts of some of them. You may already be knowing some of them if you have sent cargo to Sri Lanka. 

Noted &Thanks, Davy.

2 hours ago, iRage said:

It is NOT a basic human need ! it is a Life style element !  You are not going to die or be deprived of a fair chance of living a safe and healthy life if you don't have a car ! Like you yourself said...it is a status symbol and everything you said pertains to life style choices ! NOT A BASIC HUMAN NEED (seriously what have they been teaching in schools lately ? but I shouldn't be surprised; wasn't there a group demanding permits as not getting it violated their human rights as well ?) !!  It used to pertain to one's quality of life but if a country is developed public transportation infrastructure provides a much better quality of life than personal transport. Heck a refrigerator should be considered a basic human need BEFORE a car.

Yes....public transport is mainly used in big cities...sorry I didn't frame it properly. And outside of the big cities personal transport is an auxiliary transport mechanism to compliment the public infrastructure as a matter of convenience....not as a necessity (presuming you are not living in the middle of nowhere with a population of 50).

Like I always say...we as a society have misplaced our values and believing that a "car" is a basic human need is one of the many reasons our country is in such a dilapidated state (we sacrifice "benefits for the collective" for the "individual gain" on a daily basis). We measure a person's worth and success by the car he/she drives and even worst what characters are on its number plate. Yes...we as citizens should not be hindered of the privilege of owning a car; however if we can't have a car and are given a functioning public transportation system; we should not be made to believe that we are oppressed or deprived or poor. In fact we should feel deprived and poor because we don't have a functioning public transport system even when we might have a whole garage full of cars. Many countries in the world have high taxes for cars...so we are not alone in this....responsible governments have utilized those taxes in building public transport systems...our's...well...we all know what happens...

Okay...back to the topic....I will not respond more on this...we will have to agree to disagree and we shall all pray.

Please...if you comment off topic..change the font color to green as per forum guidelines or courtesy.

You may right in calling personal vehicle a Life style element. But that does not negate the fact that how important it has become in modern lifestyle. Owning a car is a human right and I say it again that government should not bar common man from having it. Even though public transportation is much convenient and easy it doesn't cancel out human tendency to roam free on his/her own. 

You should not misunderstand the need for a car and the need for convenient public transport. I don't think anyone would like to sit in bumper to bumper traffic for hours. There should be good public transportation system as well as the freedom to own a good quality car. 

5 hours ago, BuBi said:

You may right in calling personal vehicle a Life style element. But that does not negate the fact that how important it has become in modern lifestyle. Owning a car is a human right and I say it again that government should not bar common man from having it. Even though public transportation is much convenient and easy it doesn't cancel out human tendency to roam free on his/her own. 

You should not misunderstand the need for a car and the need for convenient public transport. I don't think anyone would like to sit in bumper to bumper traffic for hours. There should be good public transportation system as well as the freedom to own a good quality car. 

:D:lol: Someone call the UN !!! 

Again...lets just agree to disagree and we shall all pray that maybe at least in 5 generations time our country will be enlightened.

Cheers!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iRage said:

:D:lol: Someone call the UN !!! 

Again...lets just agree to disagree and we shall all pray that maybe at least in 5 generations time our country will be enlightened.

Cheers!

I beg to differ. 

you forgot EVERYTHING in Sri Lankan system is a failure since 1948. Healthcare,Education,Housing,Tax structures you name it,everything needs modernization in par with global systems. Somehow the majority survive until they expire,except for the few who"make it" by hook or crook and live better lives than the Suddas in developed countries.

(sorry changing font colour is bot possible via mobile?)

Edited by ajm