• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Catalytic converter overheat

Ted

Hi All,

I have a carina at192 and my engine gets heated very quickly and even for a very small distance the engine parts are heated so much. I also get a catalytic converter overheat alarm. What I should do to resolve this? Do I need to replace cat ? Or can the existing cat be cleaned? This cat is 22 years old.

Overheating catalytic converter is usually due to the engine running rich (unburnt fuel in exhaust gasses). Could be due to many reasons. A place to start would be by getting your Oxygen sensor checked. You can move onto your EFI system next and make sure injectors are not leaking.

As Davy said most probable reason is unburnt  fuel (HC) in exahaust gas due to rich mixture. but somehow your EFI system is happy about that. that means the system has not detected any problem in Oxygen sensor or any other sensor ( or your model has no check engine light or check engine light has  been by-passed).and EFI system is happy about the values measured by these sensors.

what is the lambda value you got in last emission test?

Your cat may be blocked.causing excessive back pressure on exhaust.   Considering the age of your car , it may have been driven on leaded fuel when it was imported here.- your exh oxygen sensor may be faulty, causing the engine to run rich.

also check the t valve and cooling fan/s for proper operation both with a/c on and off.

Edited by Twin Turbo