• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Audi Q5 - what's it like?

ibba

Question

Hi guys..

I am thinking about getting à new SUV and the Audi Q5 is a possibility. It generally receives positive reviews in foreign   countries but I'd like to know what it's like to own one in Sri Lanka. 

Are spare parts (brake pads etc.) expensive / available? Are the agents any good?

And are the vehicles actually reliable?

14 answers to this question

which model year,fuel type petrol or diesel? You will bring down a brand new one with permit,or buying a used one in Sri Lanka? In case of latter,better check maintenance history well.

I have not heard of any issues with the Q-line. unlike the new Q2, Q3 and upwards are quite mature platforms. I once participated in a driving training where the cars were subjected to artificially extreme road situation and let out of control and the driver had to use some technics to regain control. The Q7 was the best handling vehicle among BMW 5,BMW1,Passat, E-class etc. It didn't even lose control for a bit, whereas the BMWs were spinning in circles. I assume the Q5 would share same genes like it's big brother.

6 hours ago, ajm said:

which model year,fuel type petrol or diesel? You will bring down a brand new one with permit,or buying a used one in Sri Lanka? In case of latter,better check maintenance history well.

I have not heard of any issues with the Q-line. unlike the new Q2, Q3 and upwards are quite mature platforms. I once participated in a driving training where the cars were subjected to artificially extreme road situation and let out of control and the driver had to use some technics to regain control. The Q7 was the best handling vehicle among BMW 5,BMW1,Passat, E-class etc. It didn't even lose control for a bit, whereas the BMWs were spinning in circles. I assume the Q5 would share same genes like it's big brother.

Thanks..I was considering the 2017 Q5 , 2.0 Liter petrol (on the permit).

What about the local agents though?

Edited by ibba

11 hours ago, ibba said:

Hi guys..

I am thinking about getting à new SUV and the Audi Q5 is a possibility. It generally receives positive reviews in foreign   countries but I'd like to know what it's like to own one in Sri Lanka. 

Are spare parts (brake pads etc.) expensive / available? Are the agents any good?

And are the vehicles actually reliable?

Good vehicle, but let down by the local agent. costly spares and maintenance.

1 hour ago, Twin Turbo said:

I don't think maintenance cost will be any different to a BMW or Merc.

These cars cost high you have to factor that for the spares as well

Due to higher performance you need to factor the premium for oils, filters, tires, brake pads etc. which will not last as well as in a average Jap.

If you are concern about the maintenance and resale there are Japanese (Thailand) or Korean options.

3 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

costly spares and maintenance.

it would be even cheaper than a Toyota to run,if you are able to bring down parts from eBay etc. But since you buy brand-new, i dont expect any problems for the first 5 years. And I am skeptical about resale value as some people say,used Audis are now on the resale market for the same  price they were bought 5 years ago brand new. Just that it might take longer to move,in case you have a financial emergency. So its better to maintain a perfect service history,preferrably at the agents.

Edited by ajm

2 hours ago, ajm said:

it would be even cheaper than a Toyota to run,if you are able to bring down parts from eBay etc. But since you buy brand-new, i dont expect any problems for the first 5 years. And I am skeptical about resale value as some people say,used Audis are now on the resale market for the same  price they were bought 5 years ago brand new. Just that it might take longer to move,in case you have a financial emergency. So its better to maintain a perfect service history,preferrably at the agents.

If i remember correct Q5 was offered around Rs. 11 Mn. including the price of the permit in 2012-2013

Same car used will trade around Rs. 7-8 Mn. now

6 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

5 hours ago, kush said:

I don't think maintenance cost will be any different to a BMW or Merc.

These cars cost high you have to factor that for the spares as well

Due to higher performance you need to factor the premium for oils, filters, tires, brake pads etc. which will not last as well as in a average Jap.

If you are concern about the maintenance and resale there are Japanese (Thailand) or Korean options.

Thanks for all your replies.. resale value isn't really a huge priority as I hope to keep this vehicle for a long time.. (heh heh)

Umm.. how costly? How much would a set of brake pads be for example? Any Audi owners here?

for example I can give you my experience for the A4 AC compressor(13years old).

Agent- 250k new,

P'Watta-70k new,35k reconditioned (both no stock,shipped from Singapore,1 week delivery),

Ebay UK reconditioned 30k(18k for shipping within 5days with DHL Express)

Edited by ajm

29 minutes ago, ajm said:

Agent- 250k new,

P'Watta-70k new,35k reconditioned (both no stock,shipped from Singapore,1 week delivery),

Thanks. :) What's P'watta?

On 3/16/2018 at 12:06 AM, ajm said:

Agent- 250k new,

You realize that there is no such thing as "reconditioned" when it comes to car parts right? Those are just used parts, from a scrapped car. Their durability is basically a lottery. 

Edited by Supra_Natural

26 minutes ago, Supra_Natural said:

Their durability is basically a lottery. 

yes,in my case I did a thorough search due to the high shipping cost with Express, there was no chance for a screw up. Even the mechanic who fitted it was impressed by the difference of "recondition" between UK(actually seller was in "Lat"via) and here(sometimes removed from locally run vehicles,barely functional).

Edited by ajm