• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Buying a new car between price range 5mil-6mil

Pasindusam

Question

Hi,I am new to this forum and i am preparing to buy a new car for a price tag between 5 -6 million.I have few options as follows which were seen during last couple of months.

1.Honda civic 1000 cc SE ( 5.5-5.85 million)

2.Toyota yaris ativ 1200cc (Thailand model) -(5.7- 6.1m)

3.Suzuki swift smart hybrid 1300cc(Presently also i am usinga 2010 model swift so not so fond of going for another one again) (5-5.2 mi)

4.Morris Garages -MG ZS-(1000cc suv from agent micro cars -Built in china) -(5 milion)

Could any one help me to select a better one for this price tag as well as let me know if u have any alternative good cars for these in terms of second hand market,maintainace cost etc.

And what about so common Honda grace also.i believe it is now more than 6 million?

19 answers to this question

20 minutes ago, Pasindusam said:

Hi,I am new to this forum and i am preparing to buy a new car for a price tag between 5 -6 million.I have few options as follows which were seen during last couple of months.

1.Honda civic 1000 cc SE ( 5.5-5.85 million)

2.Toyota yaris ativ 1200cc (Thailand model) -(5.7- 6.1m)

3.Suzuki swift smart hybrid 1300cc(Presently also i am usinga 2010 model swift so not so fond of going for another one again) (5-5.2 mi)

4.Morris Garages -MG ZS-(1000cc suv from agent micro cars -Built in china) -(5 milion)

Could any one help me to select a better one for this price tag as well as let me know if u have any alternative good cars for these in terms of second hand market,maintainace cost etc.

And what about so common Honda grace also.i believe it is now more than 6 million?

Civic

• Like 2

Did the same comparison some time back. Instead of the Yaris, was looking at the Vitz. Finally decided on the Civic (SR not SE as the upgrade from SE to SR was totally worth considering the features you get). If you are looking for something that will retain value (typical Sri lanka car buyer's dilemma) go for the Toyota but if you like features and better driving experience go for the Civic.. and the Swift fits somewhere in the middle.

4 hours ago, Insedious said:

Did the same comparison some time back. Instead of the Yaris, was looking at the Vitz. Finally decided on the Civic (SR not SE as the upgrade from SE to SR was totally worth considering the features you get). If you are looking for something that will retain value (typical Sri lanka car buyer's dilemma) go for the Toyota but if you like features and better driving experience go for the Civic.. and the Swift fits somewhere in the middle.

Thanks for your valuable suggestion.I also accept your suggestion.My heart says go for civic because for the Unique Honda features ,but my mind says Yaris because of second hand market.

Do you have any idea about MG(Morris Garage)ZS.A 1000cc suv from micro cars.Fully loaded with sunroof costs only 5.1 million with 3 years company comprehensive warranty.But I don't feel comfortable because it is made in China as a global product and the after sales service of Micro.(But the car looks perfect value for money)

New-MG-ZS-2017-873475.jpg

Moto_MG-ZS_Feature_Front-row-interior_Black_AUS_cropped.jpg

• Like 1

Isnt unimo doing mg anymore?

Looks like a bargain and a good looker too. 

Checked out a uk review and it was offered with a 7year 80 000mile warenty there. 

The only problem is if the local agent is micro. Anyways if i were you id go for it

Edited by Clark'sson

21 hours ago, Pasindusam said:

Do you have any idea about MG(Morris Garage)ZS.A 1000cc suv from micro cars.Fully loaded with sunroof costs only 5.1 million with 3 years company comprehensive warranty.But I don't feel comfortable because it is made in China as a global product and the after sales service of Micro.(But the car looks perfect value for money)

Sadly I didn't do any R&D on the MG one. I was looking for a car for the lady of the house with though crumple zones as she's taking the kids all around Colombo for school tuition etc  so the list became quite short. I also looked at the C-HR but I couldn't convince myself on the overall package. Between the two, the Civic's ride was more comfortable and the acceleration was more enjoyable in the Civic as well. But of course, this is Sri Lanka and anything with a Toyota logo is treated like gold dust..

2 hours ago, Insedious said:

Sadly I didn't do any R&D on the MG one. I was looking for a car for the lady of the house with though crumple zones as she's taking the kids all around Colombo for school tuition etc  so the list became quite short. I also looked at the C-HR but I couldn't convince myself on the overall package. Between the two, the Civic's ride was more comfortable and the acceleration was more enjoyable in the Civic as well. But of course, this is Sri Lanka and anything with a Toyota logo is treated like gold dust..

Your absolutely right even a trishaw made by toyota will have a good market than any other better car:D:D.I also thank you for your valuable thoughts on this.Actually my first choice is also Civic.I am residing in Matara so don't have much traffic there it is as Colombo.So i would like to know about the fuel consumption of Civic?

14 hours ago, Clark'sson said:

Isnt unimo doing mg anymore?

Looks like a bargain and a good looker too. 

Checked out a uk review and it was offered with a 7year 80 000mile warenty there. 

The only problem is if the local agent is micro. Anyways if i were you id go for it

Still in there website of Unimo has stated about MG 6.But as far as I know they dont offer anymore new models there.In middle 2017 Unimo called me and told they have some stocks of Brand new MG 6 2013 models for sale for 4.0 million.That was very less than the market price.May be it means they have an idea to discontinue the brand.(They have a history of doing those things-Perodua Kelisa,Kenari,Viva elite,Zotye Nomad,Mitshubishi lancer and EX are few that comes to my mind )

I saw this MG Suv on ##### and I called Micro.They told me that models are available for test drive.But the matter is MG is not from UK anymore.Chinese automaker SAIC has bought MG and they are making vehicles under the MG brand.So thats an bit of issue.And the other is Micro is the agent.Much like the Unimo they also having a history of discontinuing brands after some times as they did with Chinese SUV Hovel 2,3 yrs back and there after sales service is very ordinary as Unit#d Mot#rs. (AS far as I know A*W has the best after sales service for vehicles Nissan,Suzuki and Maruti.Even if the model discontinued A*W prepared to help their customers than the other two above mentioned local agents)

15 minutes ago, iRage said:

Yes, MG has been manufactured by a Chinese firm for quite sometime now. Apparently it is not that bad. I think @Supra_Natural did a review or something once ? 

Definetly not the old MG we envision from the UK (which might not be a bad thing depending how you look at it). 

Thanks for your reply.By the way is it worthwhile going for MG ZS when considering the second hand market.I have seen even the micro korendo,tivoli has a significantly low second hand market.

Here's my personal opinion on these cars:

1.Honda civic 1000 cc SE: I wouldn't buy this even if it came for 4 million. A 1000 CC overweight car made for European market in Sri Lankan conditions will be disastrous in the future. I highly doubt whether agent-imported versions are actually approved by the manufacturer for Sri Lankan market (although they come with warranty).

2.Toyota yaris ativ 1200cc (Thailand model) - I normally don't recommend Toyotas (due to their overprice factor) to anyone but out of the 4 cars in this list, this is the most sensible choice. 

3.Suzuki swift smart hybrid 1300cc - This is another sensible choice but 6 million for a Suzuki hatch?

4.Morris Garages -MG ZS-(1000cc suv from agent micro cars -Built in china) - Wouldn't recommend this because 1. Large car with a small engine 2. Made by SAIC - not the most reliable automaker even in China 3. Local agent factor

There are few other cars you can consider

1. Suzuki S-cross

2. Suzuki Ciaz (its a majestic looking car although a Suzuki - downside is its made in India)

3. Honda Grace ( not my cup of tea but there are people who like it)

Ciaz costs 61/40 at the agent. I don't know much about the prices of 3 though

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Pasindusam said:

So i would like to know about the fuel consumption of Civic?

Wifey does about 20kms a day, half of which during the morning rush hour and the other half picking up the kids at 1.30.. in that traffic it's between 6-7 kmpl right now but the car is yet to hit 200 on the odo. Will update it once it has done at-least 1000kms

1 hour ago, Crosswind said:

Here's my personal opinion on these cars:

1.Honda civic 1000 cc SE: I wouldn't buy this even if it came for 4 million. A 1000 CC overweight car made for European market in Sri Lankan conditions will be disastrous in the future. I highly doubt whether agent-imported versions are actually approved by the manufacturer for Sri Lankan market (although they come with warranty).

2.Toyota yaris ativ 1200cc (Thailand model) - I normally don't recommend Toyotas (due to their overprice factor) to anyone but out of the 4 cars in this list, this is the most sensible choice. 

3.Suzuki swift smart hybrid 1300cc - This is another sensible choice but 6 million for a Suzuki hatch?

4.Morris Garages -MG ZS-(1000cc suv from agent micro cars -Built in china) - Wouldn't recommend this because 1. Large car with a small engine 2. Made by SAIC - not the most reliable automaker even in China 3. Local agent factor

There are few other cars you can consider

1. Suzuki S-cross

2. Suzuki Ciaz (its a majestic looking car although a Suzuki - downside is its made in India)

3. Honda Grace ( not my cup of tea but there are people who like it)

Ciaz costs 61/40 at the agent. I don't know much about the prices of 3 though

I strongly disagree with your view of the Civic. Long term durability of course remains to be seen but I do not think Sri lankan conditions will have a major effect on the Civics if the maintenance is done properly. This is not a Ferrari, in every other aspect it's a fairly conventional car, just the engine that is novel and even that had had a LOT of development work put in, as Honda couldn't afford to mess this one up. I've driven one extensively and it does not feel overweight or underpowered and drives basically like a 1.6l Civic of the previous generation did, with a bit more mid range response. 

Guess we'll have to see what happens with time. Plenty of us (myself included) were predicting doom and gloom when Hybrids first started coming in en masse too. But for the most part even the older ones seem to be doing ok. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Crosswind said:

Totally agreed. Honda may have done tones of r&d in the uk but it dosent translate into how it will fare with srilankan climate fuel quality or makabas mechanics.

And does the agent offer the 1L or is it the 1.5L they are offering.

9 hours ago, Crosswind said:

9 hours ago, Clark'sson said:

Honda may have done tones of r&d in the uk but it dosent translate into how it will fare with srilankan climate fuel quality or makabas mechanics

That's a very generic statement that will apply to any brand from any country. Just for fun, just replace the words "Honda" and "the UK" in your statement and see if it applies to any brand of vehicle from any country. :D

17 hours ago, Supra_Natural said:

Honda couldn't afford to mess this one up

I think this is a correct statement, especially since Honda is brave enough to supply the whole world's Civic Hatch demand solely using their factory in the UK (including the US and Japan). 

20 hours ago, Supra_Natural said:

I strongly disagree with your view of the Civic. Long term durability of course remains to be seen but I do not think Sri lankan conditions will have a major effect on the Civics if the maintenance is done properly. This is not a Ferrari, in every other aspect it's a fairly conventional car, just the engine that is novel and even that had had a LOT of development work put in, as Honda couldn't afford to mess this one up. I've driven one extensively and it does not feel overweight or underpowered and drives basically like a 1.6l Civic of the previous generation did, with a bit more mid range response. 

Guess we'll have to see what happens with time. Plenty of us (myself included) were predicting doom and gloom when Hybrids first started coming in en masse too. But for the most part even the older ones seem to be doing ok. 

You and I should probably have a bet on this one ;) what say you?

For a moment I don't doubt the fact that Honda has done their R&D, but

I say Civics made for the European market and imported on the grey by Sri Lankan mudalalis will start giving enough trouble in 3-4 years time.

• Like 1

On 3/17/2018 at 9:23 AM, Crosswind said:

You and I should probably have a bet on this one ;) what say you?

For a moment I don't doubt the fact that Honda has done their R&D, but

I say Civics made for the European market and imported on the grey by Sri Lankan mudalalis will start giving enough trouble in 3-4 years time.

I actually wouldn't mind making the bet, I personally feel that as long as the cars are maintained properly (not with makabaases obviously), they will do ok. The fact that the agents' offshoot company is also bringing the Civic down should add a certain level of confidence. For all we know, they might end up officially importing it soon enough. But really only time will tell. Everyone (including myself) was super convinced Hybrids would fail but they seem to be soldiering on, even the older ones. 

Now the VW group 1.0 liters that are coming in on the other hand....

• Like 1

On 3/16/2018 at 8:38 PM, Clark'sson said:

Totally agreed. Honda may have done tones of r&d in the uk but it dosent translate into how it will fare with srilankan climate fuel quality or makabas mechanics.

And does the agent offer the 1L or is it the 1.5L they are offering.

Perhaps do some research, before shooting off an opinion? The R & D was not done in the UK, that's not how car manufacturing works these days. The Civic especially was intended from the start to be a global car.