• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Good car polish and wax

K.o.N.o.S

22 minutes ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

Can someone recommend a quality car polish and a wax ? Don't want to contaminate the paint using cheap products. Appreciate your input.

AUTOGLYM

Meguiars

Pretty much all the decent detailing shops carry most of the ranges of exterior and interior polishes and protectants. Apart from polishes and waxes you should use a proper shampoo to get the most out of the wax and to keep it long lasting. The above two brands are a bit pricey. Slightly lower down the price scale you can find

TurtleWax products ( a bit of a hit and miss when it comes to finding it as their doesn't seem to be a proper distributor in SL)

3M - quite common and I've seen it even at the local supermarkets.

13 hours ago, iRage said:

AUTOGLYM

Meguiars

Pretty much all the decent detailing shops carry most of the ranges of exterior and interior polishes and protectants. Apart from polishes and waxes you should use a proper shampoo to get the most out of the wax and to keep it long lasting. The above two brands are a bit pricey. Slightly lower down the price scale you can find

TurtleWax products ( a bit of a hit and miss when it comes to finding it as their doesn't seem to be a proper distributor in SL)

3M - quite common and I've seen it even at the local supermarkets.

I have bad reviews of Turtle Wax products, such as their wax compound damaging the paint.

I think it's popular cuz it's cheap.

I have tried Soft99 extreme gloss wax and it was great!

3 hours ago, Magnum said:

I have bad reviews of Turtle Wax products, such as their wax compound damaging the paint.

I think it's popular cuz it's cheap.

I have tried Soft99 extreme gloss wax and it was great!

TurtleWax used to be good...but the last few times I saw TurtleWax in SL it simply was not the same...probably it is now manufactured in some low labor cost region for markets like our's ?

I didn't know the good Soft99 was widely available in SL. What I have seen in most parts shop was a cheap Soft99 with some Japanese stickers made in China. We are talking about low of the low end soft99. So if you don't kow the actual Soft99 you can easily end up with the crappy one.

Also, the good Soft99 is usually as expensive, if not more, as Meguiars. Since Meguiars and AUTOGLYM is known to be the real deal and not some chinese knock offs..I would say go with that.

4 hours ago, iRage said:

TurtleWax used to be good...but the last few times I saw TurtleWax in SL it simply was not the same...probably it is now manufactured in some low labor cost region for markets like our's ?

I didn't know the good Soft99 was widely available in SL. What I have seen in most parts shop was a cheap Soft99 with some Japanese stickers made in China. We are talking about low of the low end soft99. So if you don't kow the actual Soft99 you can easily end up with the crappy one.

Also, the good Soft99 is usually as expensive, if not more, as Meguiars. Since Meguiars and AUTOGLYM is known to be the real deal and not some chinese knock offs..I would say go with that.

May I ask where you found the soft99 product?

17 hours ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

Thanks. I heard Autoglym is really good. Any agent in Sri Lanka? Was able to find 'dreams-auto' after googling.

Yup they are the agents, have authentic stuff, good service,

I used Meguires Ultimate quik wax- really superb. But tough to find- sometimes you get lucky and find it at an Arpico and then I picked it up. But most of the time not available.

Doesn't United M*tors have Eagle One? Been meaning to check out their range.

Edited by RWD

5 hours ago, iRage said:

57 minutes ago, tiv said:

The review I read for Turtle Wax was in an Australian site for Australian market. It was pretty cheap and I was about to buy it

The Soft99, I got it directly from Japan through a relative and it wasn't cheap 

Edited by Magnum

8 minutes ago, kusumsiri said:

I found it from a local paint shop and cost me 2550 LRK

that probably is the cheap chinese one I was talking about...was it in a white can with blue lettering and some japanese instructions/details in the back ?

Te good one runs 3500 at least depending on the actual type..for that price you can also get maguiars.

Edited by iRage

1 hour ago, tiv said:

The cheap one ? It was at a paint shop in Wijerama....then I spotted the same one in a few other shops around panchi. The good Soft99 I saw a detailing shop having it on their FB page...

Personal opinion, Autoglym all the way. Super Resin Polish is a good regular use polish/wax (despite the name it's not a traditional polish, but it does have a very slight cutting effect which does really well for removing swirl marks etc. If you want even glossier then the HD wax is where it's at (at a price though). One coat of each gives a finish that must be seen to be believed, lasts quite long too. 

41 minutes ago, iRage said:

that probably is the cheap chinese one I was talking about...was it in a white can with blue lettering and some japanese instructions/details in the back ?

Te good one runs 3500 at least depending on the actual type..for that price you can also get maguiars.

I am not sure about its origin. Here are some images. You may identify it by seeing these images.

IMG_20180312_164119.jpg

IMG_20180312_164152.jpg

IMG_20180312_164043.jpg

16 hours ago, Supra_Natural said:

Personal opinion, Autoglym all the way. Super Resin Polish is a good regular use polish/wax (despite the name it's not a traditional polish, but it does have a very slight cutting effect which does really well for removing swirl marks etc. If you want even glossier then the HD wax is where it's at (at a price though). One coat of each gives a finish that must be seen to be believed, lasts quite long too. 

i can second that.

21 hours ago, kusumsiri said:

I am not sure about its origin. Here are some images. You may identify it by seeing these images.

IMG_20180312_164119.jpg

Aha ! I sued to see that in Japan...but haven't in a while....it was one of their entry level waxes and was like 800yen or something. Now at that price point what I see is a silver colored can with a yellow top