• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

New car/crossover for permit

ishi

Question

Hi, 

I have got my permit (yay!) and for my luck govt. changed the tax allowance as well. 

But now I am bit clueless what should I buy with it. I have 2011 premio and a 2004 vits of which I will be selling one. I don't like to buy a another Premio/Allion. Today when I checked with the car importers along highlevel road in K'pona/Nugegoda, they were not willing to tell me what options I have. As I understand, the max CIF value I can bring in is USD35000. What are my options in that case. My budget for final figure is 6M or less. 

• I prefer Japanese cars because they will just take from point A to B in a reliable way but I am open for Euro option as well in which case I will have to lookafter the baby bit more
  • sedan, crossover /SUV, I am open for anything 
  • Most of my rides are within the city and comfort is important 
  • Fuel consumption is also a factor

Is there a place where I can check the prices for vehicle bringing here of permit

Thanks,

8 answers to this question

7 hours ago, ishi said:

Hi, 

I have got my permit (yay!) and for my luck govt. changed the tax allowance as well. 

But now I am bit clueless what should I buy with it. I have 2011 premio and a 2004 vits of which I will be selling one. I don't like to buy a another Premio/Allion. Today when I checked with the car importers along highlevel road in K'pona/Nugegoda, they were not willing to tell me what options I have. As I understand, the max CIF value I can bring in is USD35000. What are my options in that case. My budget for final figure is 6M or less. 

• I prefer Japanese cars because they will just take from point A to B in a reliable way but I am open for Euro option as well in which case I will have to lookafter the baby bit more

Is there a place where I can check the prices for vehicle bringing here of permit

Thanks,

there was a recent change in permits just check your permit it may not be valid anymore cos there is no CIF ceiling in the new one.

You might have to reapply under new circular

9 hours ago, ishi said:

Hi, 

Thanks,

When did you get the permit and what is the circular no and the date they mentioned? And what is the Extraordinary Gazette no and date on you permit?

As per the new gazette 2058/34 of 15-02-2018 this USD limit is no more valid. Pls have a look on following link, which Autolanka member @ajm given. http://autolanka.com/forums/profile/47537-nirosha/?status=4996&type=status,

Mazda CX 3 is a great looking SUV with great features but small in size and space also the Ford Ecosport 2018 is another SUV with lots of features but for lesser price. But it is assembled in India as per the agents.

Edited by Nirosha
More details

There is no cif limit or engine power limit

You can bring down absolutely anything from the tata nano to a Range rover

The thing is you only get a tax reduction of 5 million rupees. So if you bring down a premio or 3 series there will be no tax (the tax is equal to 5million) but if you bring down a montero the tax only will be (35.6million - 5million) = 30.6million.

So just reduce 5million from the normal price of any car above 1500cc remeber that because here you are personally importing you are not paying the car sale owner around 0.5million when hes selling ex stock cars.

Instead of visiting mudalalis in Highlevel road, why don't you visit some agents? When you buy a brand new car from an agent, you have much more peace of mind. 

That's what I did for my better half's permit few years ago. To date, I'm glad I made that decision.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

Instead of visiting mudalalis in Highlevel road, why don't you visit some agents? When you buy a brand new car from an agent, you have much more peace of mind. 

That's what I did for my better half's permit few years ago. To date, I'm glad I made that decision.

Totally agree.

They give a proper warenty which is an absolute pease of mind and you cant compare it with the mudalali warenties you get from car sales.

And when theres a manufacture defect you get things replaced even after the warenty has expired (hy*nd@i l@nk@) did it.

The cars you get trough agents are acclimatized to our conditions so it copes better with our environment. And they are responsible for it.

48 minutes ago, ShintaroX said:

Isn’t that “acclimatization” that clarksson mentions a load of tripe?

I don't know about other manufacturers but Ford Motor Company takes this seriously. My car for example. comes with a 'rough terrain package'. What it means is a bigger cooling fan, an undercarriage guard and slightly stiffer suspension.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Crosswind said:

I don't know about other manufacturers but Ford Motor Company takes this seriously. My car for example. comes with a 'rough terrain package'. What it means is a bigger cooling fan, an undercarriage guard and slightly stiffer suspension.

True on Toyotas as well, All the Agent imported cars came with Rough Road package (aka Stiff suspensions, Higher ground clearances, Steering Rack differences etc.) and better tolerating plastics on dashboard etc (Corolla 141 never had dashboard going bonkers but the Axios). some of the brand new imported cars (Suzuki Wagaon R Premium Hybrid) came with ECUs tuned to local Fuel as well. and i'm sure most of the Euros were Tropicalized as well to suit local conditions.

Edited by Ruslan
  • Like 1