• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Sorento 2012 or Premio 2013

carbuddy

Question

Hi Guys,

I wanted know your opinions about buying a 2nd hand sorento 2012 diesel vs Premio 2013. This could be bit wired question :).

Reasons/Concerns:

My budget is around 60Mil.

Expected to keep the car for 4 - 5 years. 

Will be running around 20k to 22k kms per year. Colombo 60km per day.

I do not want to loose much when i am selling it again. Also i do expect to sell it like i never used it (like Premio/Toyota in sri lanka :) )

Have bit of a concern about fuel consumption. as i heard Sorento diesel doing around 10kmpl in city and outstation 14kmpl. 

Please share your ideas/experience.. 

Thank you..

13 answers to this question

Weird question indeed. One is an SUV and other is a sedan and if you had 60 million I guess you would be buying a Sahara V8 or something and not worry about the fuel consumption. If you are worried about the fuel consumption and resale value get the Premio,

• Like 1

I dont see it as a wierd question its a practical one 

You have 6millioish to spend on a car what should it be.

It should be the sorrento 

I give this advice to people who are going to spend around 6million on a premio (not even considering other options)and managed to change one persons mind who went for a fully loaded 2010 sorento and is happily using it.

Advantages would be

The 2.2Crdi engine is much mre powerful than the premio and you can easyly overtake usimg the high midrange torque.

Weve used a premio for some time and it did only around 9kmpl in town and slightly more long distance. And we use a santafe same vehicle as the sorento and it returns the figures you mentioned so the sorento will do aproximately the same.

You get 7 seats and when you are going on a trip with some of your mates you dont need to hire a van. And it has more space to carry items.

You can do some mild offroading in the 4wd but this is not in anyway a proper offroader.

If you are using company spares its cheaper than toyota spares. Now there are adeqate external sources for parts too.

The 2nd hand market is an unpredictable thing in sri lanka. But because now taxes are according to engine power and a 2200diesel will be taxed 17.6million and a 1500petrol only 6million. But kias will depreciate more than toyotas. But thats just today.

The only problem is finding well maintained sorento for 6million. Most would have run close to 100 000km but you can find a low millage premio for that price

So if you find a good sorento for 6million go for it

• Like 1

Just FYI, the Premio marque is reaching end of its life. The platform itself is about 16 years old and retirement is long overdue. So in 4-5 years time, the replacement model would become mainstream and Premios might actually lose brand value. Take Carina or Corolla as examples. 

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ShintaroX said:

What do you mean by that?

Well, I mean most Premios/toyotas 2nd hand value is like : "you buy the vehicle and you never used and selling it".

I know It is because of reliability/parts availability etc. But it is wired!!! 

1 hour ago, carbuddy said:

Thank you @asrock @nisala4423  @Clark'sson @Crosswind for your valuable input and time.

Regarding V8: I will keep that option as a choice when i own a fuel station :D (just kidding..) 

@Clark'sson Any known maintenance that need to be aware of if i buy a Sorento which is around 80k kms??

Some Santafes with the same Crdi engines had an engine issue just like the honda fit but in this instance the company did a full overhaul for them free of charge even way after the warenty was over.

Anyhow it was linked to using normal diesel and every user was adviced to use super diesel.

After that no major issues. Everything else wearsoff even slower for example i had to change only my rear break pads at 80 000km the front ones still had some meat left at 110 000km

• Like 1

Also you should consider your priorities. Are you really going to get the full use of an SUV? If you are not carrying more than 5 persons all of the time and if you are not going off-road I think a car would be much practical. Just my 2 cents.

Its not all about offroading even in bumpy roads the time it takes from goimg from a to b is also less in an suv because you dont have to slowdown for potholes and due to the good torque you can easyly overtake so be less time behind roadhoggers and its better in climbing hills than the 1.5petrol and its lazy cvt.

I usually can save 20 - 30 min from colombo to kandy by using the suv.

In adition the extra 2 seats come in handy when you are planing to go out with your mates (like a diner out) and you all can fit into the same car rather than go in seperate cars. 

Edited by Clark'sson
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Clark'sson said:

Its not all about offroading even in bumpy roads the time it takes from goimg from a to b is also less in an suv because you dont have to slowdown for potholes and due to the good torque you can easyly overtake so be less time behind roadhoggers and its better in climbing hills than the 1.5petrol and its lazy cvt.

I usually can save 20 - 30 min from colombo to kandy by using the suv.

In adition the extra 2 seats come in handy when you are planing to go out with your mates (like a diner out) and you all can fit into the same car rather than go in seperate cars. 

Well, these are the reasons that i wanted to look for SUV option. Are you using a brand new one? or 2nd hand one? According to current market situation what would be the depreciation about after running 100k? lets say now 2nd hand one is 6M.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Crosswind said:

Just FYI, the Premio marque is reaching end of its life. The platform itself is about 16 years old and retirement is long overdue. So in 4-5 years time, the replacement model would become mainstream and Premios might actually lose brand value. Take Carina or Corolla as examples. 

Seems like it won't take 4 to 5 years time. The word around the industry in Japan is that the Premio/Allion and Axio(Corolla) are going to be consolidated in to one sedan with more grade/spec variants based on the new TNGA platform. Thus, the Axio (Corolla) is going to get "bigger" (thus falling in to a larger tax category over here); i.e. the Japanese Corolla and the export variants are going to be the same platform again.

Again, the consolidation is just the buzz around town over here. Since the Allion/Premio model change has been put back so many times there is a high probability that this might actually be the case.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, carbuddy said:

Well, these are the reasons that i wanted to look for SUV option. Are you using a brand new one? or 2nd hand one? According to current market situation what would be the depreciation about after running 100k? lets say now 2nd hand one is 6M.

Well without a proper tax policy we cant predict anything about the 2nd hand market.

But if you maintain it properly and the tax structure stay the same due to the unthinkable taxes on diesel suvs the price will remain the same or in srilankan expectations appreciate.