• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

X-trail Hybrid EV to Engine swicth hissing noise

Xtrail

Hi All,

Can any of you kindly advise and suggest a remediation to fix the hissing noise of the X-trail Hybrid version SUV taking place at the switch from EV to Engine mode? I have tried changing the CVT oil after well with in less than 16000Kms on the clock but still the problem persists. It comes up after driven for about 10-15 mins and does not come at all the time when the EV to engine switch over takes place. Every one says it is a gearbox failure noise but still the vehicle is running strong.  i Have also updated the IOS version of the CVT controlling software with the help of Warranty extending party but still the noise is thee. When i quarried the agents and Warranty extending party about this issue, they keeps on pestering that it is normal for this model and most of the Hybrid SUVs including Outlander and Vezel. Is that true? Local Gear box fixing guys are also not providing a solid answer as every one wants to end this problem by making some one else. IS it actually a problem or some thing just to leave it without worrying? has anyone done any R& D on this?

Many thanks in advance.

• 6 months later...

sorry to hear that it can come at such low mileage.

The solution is to replace the CVT from 1D to 4D type(in part number) which has an improvement,but also not 100%..

https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/2723972/car/2305655/4638865/note.aspx

19970km vehicle had same issue,in Japan(Nissan has admitted the design issue and gives free CVT gearbox replacement during warranty period)!
https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/2723972/blog/41178536/

Edited by ajm
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, ajm said:

sorry to hear that it can come at such low mileage.

The solution is to replace the CVT from 1D to 4D type(in part number) which has an improvement,but also not 100%..

https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/2723972/car/2305655/4638865/note.aspx

19970km vehicle had same issue,in Japan(Nissan has admitted the design issue and gives free CVT gearbox replacement during warranty period)!
https://minkara.carview.co.jp/userid/2723972/blog/41178536/

CVT gearbox replacement also free for the grey imports to Sri Lanka by private car-sales people? A*W should be know, IF this Xtrail-hybrid is released for the SL market by Nissan.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vag2 said:

CVT gearbox replacement also free for the grey imports to Sri Lanka by private car-sales people? A*W should be know, IF this Xtrail-hybrid is released for the SL market by Nissan.

If the car is under "Sterling Mudalali" warranty or "Kobe Mudalali" warranty, you might be able to beg and plead them to do a gearbox change. That too, after the box packs up.

A*W wouldn't bother about grey-market imports. 

• Sad 2

10 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

If the car is under "Sterling Mudalali" warranty or "Kobe Mudalali" warranty, you might be able to beg and plead them to do a gearbox change. That too, after the box packs up.

A*W wouldn't bother about grey-market imports. 

I think its high time that buyers of such vehicles like Leaf,Xtrail duped by these "mudalaali warranties" get together and file a class-action lawsuit against the responsible individuals(is it the old Japanese "ojichan" for Sterl!ng?).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ajm said:

I think its high time that buyers of such vehicles like Leaf,Xtrail duped by these "mudalaali warranties" get together and file a class-action lawsuit against the responsible individuals(is it the old Japanese "ojichan" for Sterl!ng?).

Think of it this way.

If you want to buy a Fridge, you would go to Abans or Singer or Singhagiri or a place of repute, not the joints in First Cross Street. These guys offer warranties too. and some people buy from them. They always take a risk when they buy from these shops. The grey-market seller is not compelled to honor the warranty to the extent that the authorized dealer is compelled to and the service levels may drastically differ in these places. However, they sell products for cheaper than the authorized dealer.Its the same with grey-market vehicles.

When you buy something from the grey market, irrespective of whether it is a fridge or a car, you get what you paid for.

Edited by Crosswind

yes the only difference here is instead of a few thousand rupees we are talking about a few Million.

But people still seem to go to these shady places offering Useless warranties to save a few thousand rupees instead of thinking of the risk of buying a vehicle with new technologies not yet released for SL conditions! 

Sad to say but i wrote personally to Nissan Japan and Nissan India. I had a Nissan Xtrail HT32. Two of my friends' 32's  packed up and both were sold as is for very low prices. Quoting these cases i wrote to Nissan , but sadly the response was that 

Japan : As the vehicle is exported they are unable to support. However, they have requested the local agent to look at the possibility of helping local grey import X-trails. India also responded in a similar way. 

There is a local guy in Marawila who claims that he can repair the GBs and gives a 30K Km  warranty albeit at a cost of 400K+. Also there are two guys in Kalalgoda & a famous auto gearbox repairer in Thalawatugoda area who have rectified the issue in some cars. But the owners still complain of abnormal jerks in the car.  I've personally checked with a few friends in Japan who mentioned that they can send it down at a landed price f about 500K . I think the agent quotes something above a good 1 million for replacement. 

Nissan is quite notorious in the CVT gearbox area where,  always their fixes have been to replace the full gearbox rather than repairing , where multiple vehicles including Altima, sentra and sylphy (not the same gearbox  , mind you) are being affected in countries such as Aussie. But all these instances the Nissan authorized agent has replaced the GB , free of charge. Sadly, Sri Lanka is affected by the grey market plague due to price differentials. 

My advice is run to as much as possible now, as you anyway cannot to a diagnosis of the issue beforehand.  Some blogs in Trinidad & Tobaggo suggest frequent gear oil changes (15,000kms) would kind of delay  the issue. But until the 2017 HT32 , the issue would still haunt you. However, mind you,  i know some HT32s who have done 90,000kms without any issues. Its basically the problem with one of the gearbox component suppliers from Austria - thats what i've heard. Sadly, the DC GB is designed by Renault , which we should've known earlier. Sadly, the manufacturer nor agent is willing to atleast publish the chassis numbers of the affected vehicles so that 

a) Affected owners know they will be hit and prepare themselves

b) Non affected owners can have a peace of mind. 

Not much of recon items for the rectified gearbox in Japan as well. 

Also, pls be aware of a rumor of possible failures in the brake booster and AC compressor as well. Projected cost for each of these repairs may exceed LKR 200K each, as you would be compelled to use b/new parts from the agent.  i've only encountered 5-6 cars of this nature still, but there may be more cars out there. 

Weighing all these possibilities i had to let go of mine at a loss of a good 2Mn ++, although she worked perfectly to me until the sad departure. Very comfy and easy to drive albeit the horrible pulling power or rather lack of. 

Its' your call - as a friend i will advise you to exit now as still teh vehicles are new , and since it's a hybrid  you might be able to get rid of it, rather than stranding with it down the time line ,  formally achieving the "lemon car" status. All of us know some Nissans which have been granted the honor. 

It was a very good car, which served me well for two years, and lot of fond memories. " Damn you Nissan" ....?

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

• 4 months later...

Damn it! Its suppose to be the best SUV to move in to the SUV class with its fuel economy, roominess and the pleasure drive.

Any other Nissan Hybrid owners have any comments? or solutions or tips?

On 9/18/2018 at 4:28 AM, Sadik said:

Sad to say but i wrote personally to Nissan Japan and Nissan India. I had a Nissan Xtrail HT32. Two of my friends' 32's  packed up and both were sold as is for very low prices. Quoting these cases i wrote to Nissan , but sadly the response was that 

Japan : As the vehicle is exported they are unable to support. However, they have requested the local agent to look at the possibility of helping local grey import X-trails. India also responded in a similar way. 

There is a local guy in Marawila who claims that he can repair the GBs and gives a 30K Km  warranty albeit at a cost of 400K+. Also there are two guys in Kalalgoda & a famous auto gearbox repairer in Thalawatugoda area who have rectified the issue in some cars. But the owners still complain of abnormal jerks in the car.  I've personally checked with a few friends in Japan who mentioned that they can send it down at a landed price f about 500K . I think the agent quotes something above a good 1 million for replacement. 

Nissan is quite notorious in the CVT gearbox area where,  always their fixes have been to replace the full gearbox rather than repairing , where multiple vehicles including Altima, sentra and sylphy (not the same gearbox  , mind you) are being affected in countries such as Aussie. But all these instances the Nissan authorized agent has replaced the GB , free of charge. Sadly, Sri Lanka is affected by the grey market plague due to price differentials. 

My advice is run to as much as possible now, as you anyway cannot to a diagnosis of the issue beforehand.  Some blogs in Trinidad & Tobaggo suggest frequent gear oil changes (15,000kms) would kind of delay  the issue. But until the 2017 HT32 , the issue would still haunt you. However, mind you,  i know some HT32s who have done 90,000kms without any issues. Its basically the problem with one of the gearbox component suppliers from Austria - thats what i've heard. Sadly, the DC GB is designed by Renault , which we should've known earlier. Sadly, the manufacturer nor agent is willing to atleast publish the chassis numbers of the affected vehicles so that 

a) Affected owners know they will be hit and prepare themselves

b) Non affected owners can have a peace of mind. 

Not much of recon items for the rectified gearbox in Japan as well. 

Also, pls be aware of a rumor of possible failures in the brake booster and AC compressor as well. Projected cost for each of these repairs may exceed LKR 200K each, as you would be compelled to use b/new parts from the agent.  i've only encountered 5-6 cars of this nature still, but there may be more cars out there. 

Weighing all these possibilities i had to let go of mine at a loss of a good 2Mn ++, although she worked perfectly to me until the sad departure. Very comfy and easy to drive albeit the horrible pulling power or rather lack of. 

Its' your call - as a friend i will advise you to exit now as still teh vehicles are new , and since it's a hybrid  you might be able to get rid of it, rather than stranding with it down the time line ,  formally achieving the "lemon car" status. All of us know some Nissans which have been granted the honor. 

It was a very good car, which served me well for two years, and lot of fond memories. " Damn you Nissan" ....?

The prices have taken a dive to be honest. I remember looking at ads for 8 million and above,just recentky. Now its 6 million and up!

• 5 months later...