• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

WagonR 2017 Or Picanto 2017 ?

Darious Stone

Question

Guys

Big favour.I am a bit confused between going for a picanto or wagon r.

Wagon R 2017 Basic can be bought for 3 mil with one year warranty from a car seller (Ishara Traders)for the same 3 mil I can get a picanto with 5 years agent warranty.

I know wagon r is got better mileage.How about the picanto  compared to the Wagon R 2017 Basic ?.Is it okay to forego the mileage per litre as I am only going to be driving mostly around cmb occasionally go outstation.

Also whats the difference between wagon r fx and fz models ?

Is it reliable to buy from a place like Ishara traders as A*W will take few months to deliver the Wagon R.

What are your opinions ?

Also I am planning to register the vehicle under my name and get the insurance in my name and since I am not in the country will my son have trouble claiming if anything goes wrong or is there any way to appoint him as a nominee ?..

Please kindly guide this old man.

Edited by Darious Stone

10 hours ago, Darious Stone said:

Oh then I think ill skip on the covers and probably invest on a vacuum cleaner.

Are carpets nessecarry  ?..Ive already got a pair that looks like 3mm ones not sure whether its sufficent..

Thanks again for all your time.

Highly appreciate it.

They are ok if the passengers are careful when they get in and out. However due to marginal leg space in the back they tend to get crawled under the front seats so you will get dust / sand on the foot wells and sides. Can be cleaned with a good vacuum cleaner.

17 hours ago, Darious Stone said:

Oh then I think ill skip on the covers and probably invest on a vacuum cleaner.

Are carpets nessecarry  ?..Ive already got a pair that looks like 3mm ones not sure whether its sufficent..

Thanks again for all your time.

Highly appreciate it.

Those 3M ones are the flat ones ?

I personally use the carpets which have the little pit like area in the middle....they are rubber. The picture is kind of like the type I am talking about...the ones I have here in Japan are transparent and depending on how much you want to spend it can get fancier with removable center carpet pieces, etc....

I like them because dust and stuff from shoes just collect in the middle part without rolling off all over the place....also during the rain and winter seasons it nicely keeps the water from shoes and umbrellas neatly inside..so there are no spills to the actual vehicle carpet and it is easier to clean.

I hate those 3m carpets..they might lock in dirt...but cleaning them is a pain in the &*^ ! Also, during the rainy season it just reminds me of a wet dog and it feels yucky.

As for the vacuum cleaner be weary of buying those portable rechargeable ones....also, stay away from the cheap chinese ones...also, buy a good upholstery cleaner. 

Image result for rubber transparent car carpet

Edited by iRage
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, iRage said:

Those 3M ones are the flat ones ?

I personally use the carpets which have the little pit like area in the middle....they are rubber. The picture is kind of like the type I am talking about...the ones I have here in Japan are transparent and depending on how much you want to spend it can get fancier with removable center carpet pieces, etc....

I like them because dust and stuff from shoes just collect in the middle part without rolling off all over the place....also during the rain and winter seasons it nicely keeps the water from shoes and umbrellas neatly inside..so there are no spills to the actual vehicle carpet and it is easier to clean.

I hate those 3m carpets..they might lock in dirt...but cleaning them is a pain in the &*^ ! Also, during the rainy season it just reminds me of a wet dog and it feels yucky.

As for the vacuum cleaner be weary of buying those portable rechargeable ones....also, stay away from the cheap chinese ones...also, buy a good upholstery cleaner. 

Image result for rubber transparent car carpet

Any idea where I can get this in Sri Lanka ?..Ya I guess my ones are the 3mm looks the same as the one for sale in arpico.

On 5/18/2018 at 5:15 PM, madusha94 said:

Hi Darious,
Can you share your experience with the car so far along with fuel economy?
Thanks

Sent from my [device_name] using http://AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

Hi Sorry for the delay.

Amazing car if you are not going to be worried about fuel consumption.Does 10 inside city and out around 12-13 out of city but there are other guys who have mastered thid car who claim they get about 13-1,Which i guess comes with a lot or experience.

Its more of a learning and if you drive it wisely can probably juice out bit more.Its a rev happy car so if you keep it in low revs it performs better. Not a expert at explaining stuff but will give it a try.If your drive the car like a bycycle where you peddle and coast and then  peddle when required this car is pretty good(look up eco driving tips on google) but if you always want to keep your leg on the accelerator and race then not the car for you.Like above commentors the car feeling is amazing,no denying that but if you are concerend about fuel then get the wagon r.

10-11 in the city is what an average small hatchback will do, so you are getting the right figures. A wagonR hybrid would do around 13. 

Lot of Sri Lankans lie about the fuel figures either consciously or subconsciously. Its the same as adolescent boys discussing about each other's penis sizes. Just a mental stigma.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 6/22/2018 at 7:30 AM, Crosswind said:

10-11 in the city is what an average small hatchback will do, so you are getting the right figures. A wagonR hybrid would do around 13. 

Lot of Sri Lankans lie about the fuel figures either consciously or subconsciously. Its the same as adolescent boys discussing about each other's penis sizes. Just a mental stigma.

Hi buddy,

Lol your biological explanation on point.Made me laugh like hell.Did my first service today.Professionilsm at its best by the Kia service center but I am sure this comes with a price.No doubt KIA is called the poor mans audi.Since its my first car,everything is worth it.

Thanks to each & everyone who helped me with your time and analysis.Gave this old man such  a piece of mind.Thanks again. 

P.S

Uploading few interior pics for your viewing pleasure as the car looks, brand new after service.

On 5/18/2018 at 5:15 PM, madusha94 said:

Hi Darious,
Can you share your experience with the car so far along with fuel economy?
Thanks

Sent from my [device_name] using http://AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

20180626_202945.jpg

20180626_200308.jpg

8 hours ago, Darious Stone said:

Hi buddy,

Lol your biological explanation on point.Made me laugh like hell.Did my first service today.Professionilsm at its best by the Kia service center but I am sure this comes with a price.No doubt KIA is called the poor mans audi.Since its my first car,everything is worth it.

Thanks to each & everyone who helped me with your time and analysis.Gave this old man such  a piece of mind.Thanks again. 

P.S

Uploading few interior pics for your viewing pleasure as the car looks, brand new after service.

20180626_202945.jpg

20180626_200308.jpg

Kia service is generally good. 

but at one instance i found out that the Air filter was not replaced during the full service even though they have charged for it. 

I happen to check the filter by one of my friends comment on the same and whola!  It was indeed a warn out and dirty filter just 3 days after service.  Kia did not had any explanation as to how this happened and immediately replaced with a new filter.  (But they do keep an old filter in the boot to prove the filter has been replaced). 

After this incident, i insist and go check filter change even though they generally dont allow customers to go inside the servicing area.

7 hours ago, JayZ said:

Kia service is generally good. 

but at one instance i found out that the Air filter was not replaced during the full service even though they have charged for it. 

I happen to check the filter by one of my friends comment on the same and whola!  It was indeed a warn out and dirty filter just 3 days after service.  Kia did not had any explanation as to how this happened and immediately replaced with a new filter.  (But they do keep an old filter in the boot to prove the filter has been replaced). 

After this incident, i insist and go check filter change even though they generally dont allow customers to go inside the servicing area.

Hey,

Thanks for the update.However theyve not charged for a air filter this time.I Anyway checked mine,looks okay. 

Also ive  a dashcam in the vehicle. It works whenever engine is switched on.Guessing from the time and different footages they seem okay except for discussing some office politcs, lol.Which we are not saints at. Ha ha.Thanks again for taking the time and for the heads up.

Edited by Darious Stone
  • Like 1

Just attended to 25K service, no issues car has been very reliable

Only a broken cup holder where you get the spring loaded half circle, not cars fault but children have been playing with the thing

Mostly used by my wife returns 15kmpl (40:60, highway:urban) average speed around 30kmph

• Like 1

I was in the same dilemma about 3 months ago and while the Picanto was the more attractive vehicle it lacked quite a lot of features of the wagon r/spacia models for the same price range, namely Cruise control and various sensors. I was looking at the highest spec picano which offered only a little bit of eye candy compared to the regular auto. Kia has come a very long way, the dash of this thing is really nice for it's class. Maybe if Kia didn't markup their products so much, they might be able to offer the full blown GT model with all the bells and whistles then there would be no contest even with the top of the range Jap Kei cars. 

That said, The Japs still have that feeling of having everything screwed together well more than the Koreans.

• Like 1

On 8/13/2018 at 12:42 PM, madusha94 said:

Thank you very much for taking your time on doing a great analysis.

Hi Guys 

A quick update.For those of you asking about the fuel efficiency I and few other online buddies have noticed better efficiency with the Ceypetco Euro 4 Octane 95 compared to the one in IOC.However please remember these are just contributing factors what Really matters is how Hard you are on your pedal & your driving style !

Edited by Darious Stone

Just did the 1000km service on the Wagon R Premium (A*W import) basically a FZ without safety

Having owned a new Picanto for the last 14 months with 25k km on the clock here is my take on both vehicles

Picanto has a solid feel to it, it feels heavy, planted to the road when you drive better handling car if you want to drive spiritedly. It also has a very comfortable ride. Seats are firm but very supportive and comfortable. It feels a bigger car than actually is.

Downside rear leg room limited will be a issue for adults in the back for long trips, fuel economy 9-10 kmpl city, 14-15 kmpl out, manual a/c is a pain to adjust for comfort.

Wagon R in the other hand is very spacious, rear seat can be moved forward/ backward for compromise between boot space and rear leg room. In fact it has more rear leg room than a CRV at the rear most position.

No central console in the front you can use either door to get down, a plus when you want to park.

650 cc is a pain when you want to overtake and going on inclines, i feel it is more to do with the CVT rather than the engine.

Does not encourage spirited driving at all better below 50-60 kmph, not very stable at high speeds and on cross winds may be due to height. 

Feel very light weight specially when you close doors, needs a fairly hard thump to get it to close properly. 

Audio system (Pioneer in my case, mid range) is better than the Chinese crap Kia gives.

Climate control a/c is very powerful and very comfortable in all weathers

Fuel 12-14kmpl city 18-20 kmpl out is a substantial saving if your are doing high miles

Kia insist on old change and service every 5000 km which is around Rs. 10K, Wagon R every 10k with inspection every 5k

• Thanks 1

Had to log in for another forum.

Just wanted to show my gratitude to all you kind people here who advised me at a time I was clueless.Its been almost one and half years.Much gratitude to all of you guys who help me choose the Picanto and gave me a proper perceptions about both cars.Never been a day I regretted making this decision and all that credit to each and everyone of you !

Thank you each and everyone of you specially for your time !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Friends,

Have got few scratches on the buffer,Kia is asking for arm and hand to get it fixed.Do.you guys have any good recommendations of places who will get this sorted for cheap and get the colour right ?

Also most of these are from Pilliars,Dint go to inform the insurance.

Should I get it done via the insurance or put my own money some of my friends said it's better to do it on my own as insurance premiums increase as I claim or something.

The front buffer has a bigger scratch.

20200225_213758.jpg

20200226_114428.jpg

Edited by Darious Stone