• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

WagonR 2017 Or Picanto 2017 ?

Darious Stone

Question

Guys

Big favour.I am a bit confused between going for a picanto or wagon r.

Wagon R 2017 Basic can be bought for 3 mil with one year warranty from a car seller (Ishara Traders)for the same 3 mil I can get a picanto with 5 years agent warranty.

I know wagon r is got better mileage.How about the picanto  compared to the Wagon R 2017 Basic ?.Is it okay to forego the mileage per litre as I am only going to be driving mostly around cmb occasionally go outstation.

Also whats the difference between wagon r fx and fz models ?

Is it reliable to buy from a place like Ishara traders as A*W will take few months to deliver the Wagon R.

What are your opinions ?

Also I am planning to register the vehicle under my name and get the insurance in my name and since I am not in the country will my son have trouble claiming if anything goes wrong or is there any way to appoint him as a nominee ?..

Please kindly guide this old man.

Edited by Darious Stone

Im not into any of these 2 vehicles but i can tell you its better to buy a car from the authorized dealer than a gray import from a car sale.

There will be a Proper warrenty 5yrs here. and it would be for recalls even after the period. Also the car will be acclimatized for sri lanka unlike gray imports.

The othet thing is that if a manufacture is offering 5yrs of warrenty thats because they are pretty sure about their product and anyways you get 5yrs of headache free motoring

• Thanks 1

I have a Picanto it does only 10-11 kmpl in Colombo if you are concern about that go for the Wagon R

Picanto drives and rides much better and has a bigger car feel and will be much comfortable.

Sub Rs. 3 Mn. is the basic with manual, check on the safety features. (air bags, ABS), wagon R, has air bags, ABS and stability control, some of them have optional safety pack with autonomous breaking and lane assist. 

What A*W brings down is the same vehicle available in Japanese domestic market (FZ)

Difference in FX and the FZ are mostly cosmetic like the lights, wheels, seat material etc.

A*W has a long waiting list due to the warranty and attractive price.

Your should be able to insure the car in sons name as the driver as he will have insurable interest. Check with the company and get the all the documentation done properly.

• Thanks 1

Lets do some basic math. You say it will be used for city driving. Assuming its driven an average of 30km a day, you will do about 1,000km per month

• Picanto does about 11 so you end up with 91 litres of petrol a month - that's about 11,300 a month. Wagon R does about 15* so you end up 67 litres of petrol a month. that's about 8,300 a month. You save about 3,000 a month by going for the Wagon R

also,

• Picanto gives you a 5-year agent warranty while Wagon R gives you a 1-year mudalali warranty
  • With a wagon R, you will most probably end up looking like an Uber/PickMe taxi driver while the chances are less with a Picanto
  • When it comes to reselling the car at some point, I would imagine it will be tougher to sell a Wagon R because 1. people will automatically imagine it was used as a taxi (same reason why its impossible to sell a Nano). 2. It's a hybrid and almost every buyer will keep telling you (existing or non-existing) battery problems

There you go... you decide...

* PS: Anyone who claims wagon R does more than 15 is a liar

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Crosswind said:

Lets do some basic math. You say it will be used for city driving. Assuming its driven an average of 30km a day, you will do about 1,000km per month

• Picanto does about 11 so you end up with 91 litres of petrol a month - that's about 11,300 a month. Wagon R does about 15* so you end up 67 litres of petrol a month. that's about 8,300 a month. You save about 3,000 a month by going for the Wagon R

also,

• Picanto gives you a 5-year agent warranty while Wagon R gives you a 1-year mudalali warranty
  • With a wagon R, you will most probably end up looking like an Uber/PickMe taxi driver while the chances are less with a Picanto
  • When it comes to reselling the car at some point, I would imagine it will be tougher to sell a Wagon R because 1. people will automatically imagine it was used as a taxi (same reason why its impossible to sell a Nano). 2. It's a hybrid and almost every buyer will keep telling you (existing or non-existing) battery problems

Thanks a lot.

Thank you everyone.You guys have been really able to give me a piece of mind.

Thanks a lot.

How is the mileage of picanto auto compared to manual ?

10 hours ago, Darious Stone said:

When driven gently, a manual would do about 1km per litre better than an auto.  If the driver has the habit of driving in low gears, the manual would drink more fuel than an auto. If the driver has the habit of flooring the accelerator all the time like a Leyland bus driver then it wouldnt matter.

You actually save more fuel (if that's your aim) but adapting your driving style than worrying about the transmission type. 

Only caveat is resale. Nowadays its easy to sell a car with auto gears than a manual one. My garage guy, who owns a H-number manual Suzuki tells me even a barakaraththe can be sold as long as its got auto gears.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

The main reason you should go for the manual is how rewarding it is to drive and compared to the cvts how responsive. If it was me id go for the manual picanto IMO korean manual gears are nice to drive.

In my experience there is a marked increase in fuel economy in the manual gear varients unless ofcorse you drive it like you stole it. By keeping the revs down i have achieved upto 50% more on the manual of the same model compared to the cvt. And mind you the achilles heel of most cars today is the gearbox and you save a lot in maintainence and repairs when going for a manual.

But ultimately it boils down to whether you love driving a manual or you consider it a pain in the left side of your a**.

My personal openion manual

Edited by Clark'sson
  • Thanks 1

On 07/03/2018 at 8:14 PM, Clark'sson said:

The main reason you should go for the manual is how rewarding it is to drive and compared to the cvts how responsive. If it was me id go for the manual picanto IMO korean manual gears are nice to drive.

In my experience there is a marked increase in fuel economy in the manual gear varients unless ofcorse you drive it like you stole it. By keeping the revs down i have achieved upto 50% more on the manual of the same model compared to the cvt. And mind you the achilles heel of most cars today is the gearbox and you save a lot in maintainence and repairs when going for a manual.

But ultimately it boils down to whether you love driving a manual or you consider it a pain in the left side of your a**.

My personal openion manual

On 07/03/2018 at 7:05 AM, Crosswind said:

When driven gently, a manual would do about 1km per litre better than an auto.  If the driver has the habit of driving in low gears, the manual would drink more fuel than an auto. If the driver has the habit of flooring the accelerator all the time like a Leyland bus driver then it wouldnt matter.

You actually save more fuel (if that's your aim) but adapting your driving style than worrying about the transmission type. 

Only caveat is resale. Nowadays its easy to sell a car with auto gears than a manual one. My garage guy, who owns a H-number manual Suzuki tells me even a barakaraththe can be sold as long as its got auto gears.

On 06/03/2018 at 8:18 PM, Darious Stone said:

Thanks a lot.

Thank you everyone.You guys have been really able to give me a piece of mind.

Thanks a lot.

On 06/03/2018 at 10:50 AM, Crosswind said:

also,

On 06/03/2018 at 7:23 AM, kush said:

I have a Picanto it does only 10-11 kmpl in Colombo if you are concern about that go for the Wagon R

Picanto drives and rides much better and has a bigger car feel and will be much comfortable.

Sub Rs. 3 Mn. is the basic with manual, check on the safety features. (air bags, ABS), wagon R, has air bags, ABS and stability control, some of them have optional safety pack with autonomous breaking and lane assist. 

What A*W brings down is the same vehicle available in Japanese domestic market (FZ)

Difference in FX and the FZ are mostly cosmetic like the lights, wheels, seat material etc.

A*W has a long waiting list due to the warranty and attractive price.

Your should be able to insure the car in sons name as the driver as he will have insurable interest. Check with the company and get the all the documentation done properly.

On 05/03/2018 at 11:55 PM, Clark'sson said:

Im not into any of these 2 vehicles but i can tell you its better to buy a car from the authorized dealer than a gray import from a car sale.

There will be a Proper warrenty 5yrs here. and it would be for recalls even after the period. Also the car will be acclimatized for sri lanka unlike gray imports.

The othet thing is that if a manufacture is offering 5yrs of warrenty thats because they are pretty sure about their product and anyways you get 5yrs of headache free motoring

Thanks a lot to each and everyone of you.Got a picanto after considering your valuable advises interior and handling is first class.Thanks again !

God bless all of you immensely. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, Darious Stone said:

Thanks a lot to each and everyone of you.Got a picanto after considering your valuable advises interior and handling is first class.Thanks again !

God bless all of you immensely. 

You are the most appreciative question asker I’ve seen in a long time, thank you for raising the bar.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Clark'sson said:

Congratulations on your purchase and great to know that our advice healped.

And its also good to see someone who actually did the right thing rather than discussing a lot and then telling he bought the wagonr because its commen.

Btw did you go for the auto or manual ?

The driver in me wanted to go for the manual but considering this is going to be used by my son & daughter prioritising the safety & convenience went for the auto.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darious Stone said:

The driver in me wanted to go for the manual but considering this is going to be used by my son & daughter prioritising the safety & convenience went for the auto.

Now...pictures or this car never exists and you are hallucinating :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darious Stone said:

20180317_075641.jpg

Awww...Congrats ! She looks adorable ! I like the color...doesn't blend in with the rest and not too flashy...subtle enough yet stands out

1 hour ago, NRA95 said:

How is the fuel consumption in heavy traffic? 

Oh c'mon ! Give the man a chance to break-in the car for a few more weeks !

Thank you all.Actually its a bit lighter..The brochure had a darker colour for Alice blue & lighter colour for celestial blue my kids chose the Alice blue with reference to the colour on the brochure and are bit upset about the lighter shade as it looks like the blue for celestial blue from the brochure. Thanks for the compliments on the color.

Thanks again to each & everyone of you who guided me & gave sensible advise.

Btw any recommendations to get seat covers ?.thanks again !

20180321_131759.jpg

4 hours ago, Darious Stone said:

Btw any recommendations to get seat covers ?.thanks again !

Do you really need them ? Most of the time the seat covers just start sagging and end up looking like a worn out pair of undies handing off of the hip...but I guess you want it with the kids ? If not just keep it as it is..vacuum it every weekend and then every now and then use a good seat cleaner..but that is me...I have a little paint brush to clean the AC vents :)

• Haha 1

If you really want seat covers, put leather seat covers. Because the comfort is less when you put fabric seat covers. With leather seat covers, you can easily shampoo it & also it looks premium too. But get it done from a good place. Otherwise the leather will start peeling off after sometime. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, iRage said:

Do you really need them ? Most of the time the seat covers just start sagging and end up looking like a worn out pair of undies handing off of the hip...but I guess you want it with the kids ? If not just keep it as it is..vacuum it every weekend and then every now and then use a good seat cleaner..but that is me...I have a little paint brush to clean the AC vents :)

You don't really need them as they are very hard wearing. Believe me i know what I'm taking about.

My eldest christened the car when it was less than 200k when she decided to throw-up in the back seat, i had to remove the seat hose off and dry off for 2 days.

3 kids, 10,7,3 use the car regularly for school run. They eat, drink sleep in the car. 

6 months 15000k seats have stood up to all the abuse with regular vacuuming.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kush said:

You don't really need them as they are very hard wearing. Believe me i know what I'm taking about.

My eldest christened the car when it was less than 200k when she decided to throw-up in the back seat, i had to remove the seat hose off and dry off for 2 days.

3 kids, 10,7,3 use the car regularly for school run. They eat, drink sleep in the car. 

6 months 15000k seats have stood up to all the abuse with regular vacuuming.

Yeah...he last time I used seat covers was in 1994..never used it since then...thankfully my kids (6 and 2) are somewhat well behaved in the car but they have spilled a drink or two on the seats and still been able to clean it off...

• Thanks 1