• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine worn at 100,000 Km

sira

Hi

Lal Alawathha said if the millage is more than 100,000 km then engine is worn or start getting worn . this was said  on " sitha FM panchikawatta " program.

How true of this comment.   

17 minutes ago, sira said:

Hi

Lal Alawathha said if the millage is more than 100,000 km then engine is worn or start getting worn . this was said  on " sitha FM panchikawatta " program.

Not at 100k it will start getting worn from the day you start using the engine.

This is the case with any item that is made out of cells that cannot regenerate.

IMO there is no rule of thumb for a millage on which an engine could be considered worn-out it as it will depend on type of use, maintenance etc.

• Like 1

Kush is right

Theres no fixed mileage where the engine goes bang!

First of all it depends on the engine, a performance car engine would wear out quicker than a truck engine

Diesel engines would generally last longer than petrol engine 

Bigger engines would last longer than smaller engines 

A well maintained engine would run without problems and reach a higher mileage than one thats badly maintained

The way the vehicle is used makes a difference as well. A vehicle which has primarily been used for hilly roads and city driving would develop engine problems quicker than vehicle which has been driven on open roads or highways.

• Like 1

Mr. Potato Garden is a first class id*ot. He's not any different from all the assorted morons that appear in TV, claiming themselves to be experts in one thing or the other. Sumanadasa, Galthenne Gamini, doctors who promote cosmetics... they are all the same.

Just FYI, few years ago when I was out of country for a while, my Wife's car developed a problem, which I recognized to be worn CV joints. Since potato garden has his garage about 100m from where I live and the place appeared to be safe for a lady to visit, I asked her to take the car there.

Potato garden claimed he replaced both CV joints and gave a bill of about 20k. The problem reappeared about 3 months later when I was back in SL. I took the car to my trusted mechanic (since I jolly well know there are no warranties for any mechanical repair work in this country). Took out the CV joints myself and realized that only one CV joint had been replaced - that too with a lathed one and the boots were not greased. Not a drop of grease was seen.

So much for Potato Garden's work!

• Like 3
  • Haha 5
  • Sad 1

Engines will start to wear out from the first time you start it.

It will be slightly more in the first few thousand kms so proper break in proceedures should be used.

Afterwads there are a lot of factors which affect wear.

Proper servicing, not driving like you stolen it, less driving in traffic, less hill climbing, keeping it stock (eg not fitting aftermarket exhausts etc) will increase the durability.

Probably the new 1000cc turbo units in relatively large cars would wear off around 100 000km

But the big diesel engines in pickups and suvs(4d56,4m40,4m41 and their similars from toyota nissan etc.) will not even think of wear at 100 000km

Edited by Clark'sson

10 hours ago, sira said:

Hi

If I remember correct what he said was applicable for certain models of cars in our market. Of course engines wear out to a degree when it pass the 100,000 mark. The wearing out depends mostly on the way engine was used. Generally 100,000 is not a serious mileage for cars except for certain models. 

10 hours ago, sira said:

Hi

What this Alaw aththa  said is totally correct. "if the millage is more than X km" , then engine is worn (at least a bit). if it is worn that means it is already started to worn.

This statement is correct for any X greater than 0.

100,000 is definitely greater than 0, so technical he is right. 

the only thing i can not understand is "why 100,000" , why not 80,000 or 130,000.

Edited by MV-5
add more

This is like a doctor saying "everyone older than 25 years of age is dying". You simply can't say things like that.

While this maybe a case of a poor selection of words on his part, I personally think statements like this should not be made on public media where "not so technical" car owners will take it seriously. Being a respected popular figure in the country, he can easily influence certain people to think that all cars that have done 100,000km are useless. Not good.

As for OP's question, it has already been answered above.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Davy said:

This is like a doctor saying "everyone older than 25 years of age is dying". You simply can't say things like that.

While this maybe a case of a poor selection of words on his part, I personally think statements like this should not be made on public media where "not so technical" car owners will take it seriously. Being a respected popular figure in the country, he can easily influence certain people to think that all cars that have done 100,000km are useless. Not good.

As for OP's question, it has already been answered above.

He must be true, this us why all the used cars for sale irrespective of age has done less than 100k.

Poor fellow how buys a 15 year old car with 75-80K gets a worn out engine as the actual mileage could be over 200K.

Majority of the cars are not properly maintained, most of odd service joints do not change filters unless you keep an eye on what is happening. This also could cause premature engine wear.

• Like 1

It really depends on many factors including usage pattern but most importantly maintenance. If someone uses good quality oil, changes it on time, does not take shortcuts with scheduled maintenance and does not abuse the car too much, 100,000 KM is nothing for a modern engine. Well most modern engines anyway. The 1.0 Litre turbos may be a different story, but then again now that Honda is using them, there is a chance that they've worked the durability out already.