Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

anuNTZ

Honda Civic 2018

Recommended Posts

On 10/15/2018 at 8:15 AM, Eagle Eye said:

 

Some information about the feature in fit/Jazz is here:

https://www.hondacarindia.com/ownersmanual/webom/eng/jazz/2016/details/106278046-291072.html

It says "The sensors detect if someone intrudes into the passenger compartment through a window or moves in the compartment, [and] ... the ultrasonic sensors may detect the vibrations on the vehicle or loud sound".

So, try avoiding any objects hanging inside that can move. If you happen to park at a place with possible loud sounds (like those from Leylands), it may be good to keep the sensor off.

Well guess what yesterday I parked my car and about 30 minutes later the alarm went off for no apparent reason i was clueless so unlocked and locked the car again only for the alarm to go off 5 minutes later again. Finally found two flies copulating inside the car.  😐 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, matroska said:

alarm went off for no apparent reason i was clueless so unlocked and locked the car again only for the alarm to go off 5 minutes later again. Finally found two flies copulating inside the car.  😐 

2

Now I've heard it all... a Honda with an insect fetish.

This proves your car is a female though. No male car would ever be able to have a second full-blown orgasm within 5 minutes of the first one.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

Now I've heard it all... a Honda with an insect fetish.

This proves your car is a female though. No male car would ever be able to have a second full-blown orgasm within 5 minutes of the first one.

This is gold! LMAO

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Guys,

What engine oil should be used on Honda Civic 1.0l Tubo. Is it 5w30 or 0w20?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, civicnk said:

Hi Guys,

What engine oil should be used on Honda Civic 1.0l Tubo. Is it 5w30 or 0w20?

So I just completed my second oil change at the agent (Boralesgamuwa) and got them to use Castrol Edge Pro A5 5W-30 instead of their regular semi synthetic 5W-30. Cost me approximately 15k for the oil alone. The owner’s manual should dictate what type of oil you should use. In mine, it indicates either 5W-30 or 0W-30 ACEA A5 or A3 oil. For 0W-20, it states that only Honda Engine Oil Type 2.0 should be used so I didn’t adventure down that path since the agent didn’t have it anyways.

 

For everyone else tuned in and following my lovely experiences with the agents, I had a good 10min conversation with the service advisor about the type of oil they use in the newer Civics. He went on to state that:

1) Honda UK don’t know about SL climates and service intervals, so you have to change your oil every 5k km here or before if the maintenance minder indicates it regardless of the type of oil

2) In their history, they’ve always used semi-synthetic oil and it has never caused any problems - he claimed

3) It’s only when customers ask for fully synthetic that they have problems especially sludge build-up, however that is the customer’s wish

 

I found points 2 and 3 a bit naive especially since you need better quality oil and not Dino oil for higher performance engines where oil pressures are significantly higher than before. Semi-synthetic may have worked with the older cars that weren’t turbo-boosted. These newer ones have a tiny 3-cylinder engine with a turbo and temperatures are definitely way hotter than the previous generations. Secondly, with regards to sludge, that will happen when you switch to synthetic in a car with a few 10’s of thousands of km’s running on conventional or semi-synthetic. That’s because fully synthetic oil cleans up better and is a detergent oil so all that sludge that was collected in between piston rings, cylinder heads, etc. will start to come loose and result in sludge. Got this info off Scotty Kilmer and he is in line with debunking the myth a lot of mechanics spread: “fully synthetic oil causes sludge”.

By the way, I also asked them about a particular part on my car that I’d need replacing and they admitted that they don’t bring down many parts for the UK model Civic to SL regularly so they’d have to back-order. That’s contrary to what their sales rep said prior to purchasing the car though.

All in all, I’m just going to follow the maintenance minder for services as it has proven itself smart enough for now. And of course, will continue with fully synthetic 5w-30.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, misnad said:

So I just completed my second oil change at the agent (Boralesgamuwa) and got them to use Castrol Edge Pro A5 5W-30 instead of their regular semi synthetic 5W-30. Cost me approximately 15k for the oil alone. The owner’s manual should dictate what type of oil you should use. In mine, it indicates either 5W-30 or 0W-30 ACEA A5 or A3 oil. For 0W-20, it states that only Honda Engine Oil Type 2.0 should be used so I didn’t adventure down that path since the agent didn’t have it anyways.

 

For everyone else tuned in and following my lovely experiences with the agents, I had a good 10min conversation with the service advisor about the type of oil they use in the newer Civics. He went on to state that:

1) Honda UK don’t know about SL climates and service intervals, so you have to change your oil every 5k km here or before if the maintenance minder indicates it regardless of the type of oil

2) In their history, they’ve always used semi-synthetic oil and it has never caused any problems - he claimed

3) It’s only when customers ask for fully synthetic that they have problems especially sludge build-up, however that is the customer’s wish

 

I found points 2 and 3 a bit naive especially since you need better quality oil and not Dino oil for higher performance engines where oil pressures are significantly higher than before. Semi-synthetic may have worked with the older cars that weren’t turbo-boosted. These newer ones have a tiny 3-cylinder engine with a turbo and temperatures are definitely way hotter than the previous generations. Secondly, with regards to sludge, that will happen when you switch to synthetic in a car with a few 10’s of thousands of km’s running on conventional or semi-synthetic. That’s because fully synthetic oil cleans up better and is a detergent oil so all that sludge that was collected in between piston rings, cylinder heads, etc. will start to come loose and result in sludge. Got this info off Scotty Kilmer and he is in line with debunking the myth a lot of mechanics spread: “fully synthetic oil causes sludge”.

By the way, I also asked them about a particular part on my car that I’d need replacing and they admitted that they don’t bring down many parts for the UK model Civic to SL regularly so they’d have to back-order. That’s contrary to what their sales rep said prior to purchasing the car though.

All in all, I’m just going to follow the maintenance minder for services as it has proven itself smart enough for now. And of course, will continue with fully synthetic 5w-30.

thanks. 5000km oil changes on fully synthetic seems very excessive so I too would just stick to the maintenance minder.

 It would be interesting to know what the recommended intervals would be on the car's gearbox oil changes given some of the CVT issues on the other models.

On the parts, well I am sure with the no of Civics on our roads there will be ample spares available by many direct importers.

Edited by RWD

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Again,

Have you guys ever experienced a bit of a jerk or a pause and puck up when you slow down the car to like 30 km/h and press the accelerator pedal after breaking. I notice this most of the time in my Civic 1.0 Turbo. Would that be a problem so that i need to go for a check up. Thanks.

Edited by civicnk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2019 at 11:33 AM, civicnk said:

Hi Again,

Have you guys ever experienced a bit of a jerk or a pause and puck up when you slow down the car to like 30 km/h and press the accelerator pedal after breaking. I notice this most of the time in my Civic 1.0 Turbo. Would that be a problem so that i need to go for a check up. Thanks.

Noticed it in mine as well. It only happens sometimes and I have learnt to live with it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2019 at 11:33 AM, civicnk said:

Hi Again,

Have you guys ever experienced a bit of a jerk or a pause and puck up when you slow down the car to like 30 km/h and press the accelerator pedal after breaking. I notice this most of the time in my Civic 1.0 Turbo. Would that be a problem so that i need to go for a check up. Thanks.

It's normal. I guess it's the CVT. Had something similar on my GP1 too but in the civic it's a bit more severe. A friend of mine was so worried about this I took him on a ride in my car and he realised that it was normal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mmmm wondering what they are going to use for all the brand new CRV turbos they are importing

In any case synthetic should be ok for 10-15k up to one year (BMW, Merc, Porsche with turbos use similar intervals)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Umm so Honda just announced its planned closure of the Swindon, UK plant that manufactures all Civic hatchbacks. 

 

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I did a 5000 km service at a private garage on my 2018 Civic. Used Mobil 5w-30 fully synthetic and they did a really thorough job with the service and inspection. They also removed the brake pads and cleaned them- didn't realize how much brake dust had accumulated at such a small mileage. Anyway I think my time at Stafford is done. It was nice to have proper mechanics inspect your car instead of paying for a glorified car wash.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/16/2019 at 6:55 PM, matroska said:

It's normal. I guess it's the CVT. Had something similar on my GP1 too but in the civic it's a bit more severe. A friend of mine was so worried about this I took him on a ride in my car and he realised that it was normal.

Yup, same here however it’s hardly noticeable for me compared to my previous Axio 141’s CVT. That thing had a major stutter compared to this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2019 at 11:33 AM, civicnk said:

Hi Again,

Have you guys ever experienced a bit of a jerk or a pause and puck up when you slow down the car to like 30 km/h and press the accelerator pedal after breaking. I notice this most of the time in my Civic 1.0 Turbo. Would that be a problem so that i need to go for a check up. Thanks.

Its normal. i have the same thing. to avoid this you can downshift 1 gear from paddles before hitting the gas again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2019 at 11:45 AM, misnad said:

Rattanapitiya body shop.

On the lines of engine oil, I called them up to book a service appointment (10,000km interval) and checked on the oil they use. The advisor said that it’s up to the customer if they want 10k km services or 5k km services. If it is 5k, they use 5w-30 semi synthetic, however they use fully synthetic for 10k intervals. When I asked them which brand they use since they used Mobil last time (that was recommended), they’re now saying that they recommend Castrol 5W-30 as Mobil only comes in 0W-30 fully synthetic and that apparently burns up easily due to it being 0W. That’s a load of tosh as Mobil 5W-30 fully synthetic is available here and I also don’t think the 0W-30 oil would “burn off” faster than a 5W-30. Besides, these are high HTHS oils anyways given their A5/B5 and A1/B1 ratings. Looks like I’ll be taking my own engine oil going forward.

I did my service too recently from stafford-Jaela - worst decision ever. no standard at all. they didn't even had any microfiber cloths for cleaning but half torn towel pieces.

anyhow, about the oil - yes-0W burn up thing is BS as it relates to Winter. what relates to us SL is "30" part.

their recommendation was to use Mobil 2000-which is semi-synthetic but no where in the manual says to use blends.

After a long discussion with them i forcefully asked them to use Mobil 1 advance fuel economy 5w-30 - fully synthetic which was available with them. the oil actually seems to live up to the name as it seems to actually improve my economy. usually i run around 350-380km with a full tank but in the recent fill up(1st one after the service as there was a half tank while on the service) meter showed 580km ( already done 280km and still 270km is on the clock with half a tank remaining) will update the real figures later-on.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, NemesisArc said:

I did my service too recently from stafford-Jaela - worst decision ever. no standard at all. they didn't even had any microfiber cloths for cleaning but half torn towel pieces.

anyhow, about the oil - yes-0W burn up thing is BS as it relates to Winter. what relates to us SL is "30" part.

their recommendation was to use Mobil 2000-which is semi-synthetic but no where in the manual says to use blends.

 

you gotta feel for those poor souls who don't know any better and who end up using blends and non manufacturer recommended oils for their civics all in the name of having the tag agent maintained in the record book.

In a few years once the cars have done several tens of thousands of km's and its time to move to their 2nd and 3rd owners is when all the fun will start.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 3:21 PM, NemesisArc said:

their recommendation was to use Mobil 2000-which is semi-synthetic but no where in the manual says to use blends

Yup, they must've found Mobil Super 2000 works best for them in terms of profit margins and might definitely have a large stock of it. That's the standard oil they use for all the vehicles that come in for servicing apart from Havoline. Quite annoyed with Stafford especially since they don't even provide a detailed bill with the exact product used or even the constituents of what is termed as "lubricant service". Coming from my previous car being maintained at Toyota Lanka, this is substandard for an agent of a major vehicle brand. Toyota Lanka was super-detailed in what they used and did to the vehicle. Any places you recommend for a proper service on the Civic other than Stafford?

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, misnad said:

Yup, they must've found Mobil Super 2000 works best for them in terms of profit margins and might definitely have a large stock of it. That's the standard oil they use for all the vehicles that come in for servicing apart from Havoline. Quite annoyed with Stafford especially since they don't even provide a detailed bill with the exact product used or even the constituents of what is termed as "lubricant service". Coming from my previous car being maintained at Toyota Lanka, this is substandard for an agent of a major vehicle brand. Toyota Lanka was super-detailed in what they used and did to the vehicle. Any places you recommend for a proper service on the Civic other than Stafford?

Even my previous car was done at Toyota Lanka and yes-their standards are very satisfactory and detailed.

Sorry, i don't have any personal experience with any other but one of my friends done his Wagonr stingray in Laugfs and he was pretty satisfied. maybe nextime!

Also, Use Mobil 1 advanced fuel economy next time. it meets the requirements and improves the economy + recommended from mobile website when you select the vehicle.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/25/2019 at 5:10 PM, RWD said:

So I did a 5000 km service at a private garage on my 2018 Civic. Used Mobil 5w-30 fully synthetic and they did a really thorough job with the service and inspection. They also removed the brake pads and cleaned them- didn't realize how much brake dust had accumulated at such a small mileage. Anyway I think my time at Stafford is done. It was nice to have proper mechanics inspect your car instead of paying for a glorified car wash.

Happy to see a satisfied user with their service :) private garage in the sense its not open to others to get the service done?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/15/2019 at 11:15 AM, RWD said:

thanks. 5000km oil changes on fully synthetic seems very excessive so I too would just stick to the maintenance minder.

 It would be interesting to know what the recommended intervals would be on the car's gearbox oil changes given some of the CVT issues on the other models.

On the parts, well I am sure with the no of Civics on our roads there will be ample spares available by many direct importers.

I personally would stick to the maintenance minder as well. it is not a day by day or km by km calculator but considers "engine operating conditions such as speed, engine and ambient  temperature, time and the vehicle use"

Recommended intervals in the manual are - engine oil-20K(proof that maintenance minder is smart and adapts to SL conditions) CVT oil-40K.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, NemesisArc said:

Happy to see a satisfied user with their service :) private garage in the sense its not open to others to get the service done?

Oh no. Its open to anyone. The place is Autof*rce Kohuwala. Have done repair work on them in the past and they have been excellent. Believe they work on a lot of high performance cars for racing etc

Bottom line is they have experienced mechanics doing the service on your car rather than people who have been estate workers. Only drawback is its a small place and they don't do the lube and car wash so they send the vehicle out for that and so it takes more time.  

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Motors said:

How much is mobil 0w-20? 

Should be around 2500/- per liter bottle

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register for a new account in our community. It's easy and FREE!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×