• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Civic 2018

anuNTZ

On 6/19/2020 at 10:31 PM, Devinda_Z said:

@Kavvz in worrying news their parent company might be in trouble :( 

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/bankruptcy-law/apc-automotive-gets-access-to-30-million-in-bankruptcy-funds

Also with regard to K&N, be mindful of the oil seeping through and fouling the airflow sensor but it only applies to the old filament type sensors

@Devinda_Z as I looked around it the air intake lines, there seems to be no MAF sensor in this 1.0L engine. It’s a MAP and Intake air temperature combination that’s used. I’m no pro on this, but that’s what I understood. Correct me if I’m wrong.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Senalw said:

Honda civic FK6 came up with P10A2 three cylinder engine which includes quite new innovations done by honda. 

Read this article if you're interested.

https://web.archive.org/web/20190613083305/https://autotechreview.com/technology/new-1-l-three-cylinder-gasoline-engine-from-honda

Thanks!

Very informative article. Good find @Senalw thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

So I took the plunge and switched to 0w-20 Mobil1 API SN oil at the 20k service mark. The older Castrol 5w-30 A5 oil was flushed out as part of the lubrication service. Shall let everyone know how this goes, but I’m sure it’ll do just fine given my standard 30km a day runs. I did this service at the agent and saved around 5k from the usual service with this swap, plus got a free wheel alignment done. Regarding service levels, I must say they’ve improved and have a supervisor now to speak a little more technical jargon with customers (this guy made sense compared to the other service advisors). The work was done well and I didn’t have any complaints upon collection, unlike all my previous attempts. I had a slight whine upon acceleration prior to the lube service that has now disappeared entirely. No idea what on earth it was. By the way, they did have Motul 0w-20 as well and that was like 8.5k for a 4L can. Due to the Covid-19 situ, they don’t clean the vehicle interior though and that’s a good thing.

In other news, the low charge alert on idle-stop is back (came up a few days before the service) and it’s back to what it used to be. The battery load test says it holds a good recharge rate so I’ll run with it until I run into more battery related issues. I found a seller (K**rthi & Sons) of Amaron EFB batteries on FB and they’ve apparently replaced them for a few Civics already.

15FC4E2B-86CA-42E7-843A-E669FB868414.jpeg

3 minutes ago, misnad said:

So I took the plunge and switched to 0w-20 Mobil1 API SN oil at the 20k service mark. The older Castrol 5w-30 A5 oil was flushed out as part of the lubrication service. Shall let everyone know how this goes, but I’m sure it’ll do just fine given my standard 30km a day runs. I did this service at the agent and saved around 5k from the usual service with this swap, plus got a free wheel alignment done. Regarding service levels, I must say they’ve improved and have a supervisor now to speak a little more technical jargon with customers (this guy made sense compared to the other service advisors). The work was done well and I didn’t have any complaints upon collection, unlike all my previous attempts. I had a slight whine upon acceleration prior to the lube service that has now disappeared entirely. No idea what on earth it was. By the way, they did have Motul 0w-20 as well and that was like 8.5k for a 4L can. Due to the Covid-19 situ, they don’t clean the vehicle interior though and that’s a good thing.

In other news, the low charge alert on idle-stop is back (came up a few days before the service) and it’s back to what it used to be. The battery load test says it holds a good recharge rate so I’ll run with it until I run into more battery related issues. I found a seller (K**rthi & Sons) of Amaron EFB batteries on FB and they’ve apparently replaced them for a few Civics already.

15FC4E2B-86CA-42E7-843A-E669FB868414.jpeg

Thanks for letting us know about this battery, would be the savior for Civics.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, misnad said:

So I took the plunge and switched to 0w-20 Mobil1 API SN oil at the 20k service mark. The older Castrol 5w-30 A5 oil was flushed out as part of the lubrication service. Shall let everyone know how this goes, but I’m sure it’ll do just fine given my standard 30km a day runs.

Just curious what your oil cap says, 5w-30  or 0w-20. When I search online the owners manual say 0w-20.

https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2018/Civic-Hatchback/manuals

image.thumb.png.d050535f2cdf362c3690eacc9bfc61ec.png

3 hours ago, GWX777 said:

Thanks for letting us know about this battery, would be the savior for Civics.

Regarding the battery, i would like to share my experience. the usual places that sell batteries didnt have the EFB type. Most places were trying to sell any kind of battery assuming that we drivers arent aware of battery requirements. the agents didnt have the EFB type too. Some how i was able to find a Yuasa from a shop closer to the Sugathadasa stadium, and they do these types of batteries. Other than them Panasonic by a famous supplier had been brought in but it had ran out of stock. dont expect to get these type of batteries in outstations. 

Edited by msham

On 7/6/2020 at 11:16 PM, kmeeg said:

Just curious what your oil cap says, 5w-30  or 0w-20. When I search online the owners manual say 0w-20.

https://owners.honda.com/vehicles/information/2018/Civic-Hatchback/manuals

image.thumb.png.d050535f2cdf362c3690eacc9bfc61ec.png

It just states to refer to the owner’s manual. The manual says to use ACEA A5 0w30 or 5w30 if 0w20 isn’t available. And if using 0w20, to use Honda Genuine Oil Type 2.0. I opted for the Mobil1 0w20 oil as the Castrol Edge Pro 5w30 A5 was quite pricey and was just being wasted with hardly any burn every 5k km when the maintenance minder alert popped. Also, wanted to test this lower viscosity oil over a good 2 service intervals to see if there’s much burn at all given my standard commute and also how much of a realistic fuel economy it would provide.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, misnad said:

It just states to refer to the owner’s manual. The manual says to use ACEA A5 0w30 or 5w30 if 0w20 isn’t available. And if using 0w20, to use Honda Genuine Oil Type 2.0. I opted for the Mobil1 0w20 oil as the Castrol Edge Pro 5w30 A5 was quite pricey and was just being wasted with hardly any burn every 5k km when the maintenance minder alert popped. Also, wanted to test this lower viscosity oil over a good 2 service intervals to see if there’s much burn at all given my standard commute and also how much of a realistic fuel economy it would provide.

@misnad, the owners manual reference above is from a US/Canadian model, which has some region specific differences as we use a UK domestic model here.

Hence it’s always a good thing to look at the hard manual (book) for any clarification. The ACEA conformity is there as the car has a 3way catalyst/GPF. These oils with ACEA conformity has lower HTHS compared to a oil without it. This lower HTHS increases the life of the 3way catalyst.

For the viscosity, any commercially available 0/5W-30 is recommended as it has the adequate thickness required for the engine for longevity of the engine. It’s a trade off between fuel efficiency and engine longevity. 0W-20 is only recommended if it’s Honda Type 2.0 Oil.

So i had my 2nd Service done at the agent on 12k mark. Apparently still their default "Recommend" choice of oil is the semi synthetic mobil super 2000 & with my request, Used Mobil 1FS 0W-30.

Since its been 2 years from the purchase i got the transmission oil change indicated as well but the agents said its fine to skip it for 40k mark. so i skipped.

Overall service was not bad but,

-Engine degreaser was used just to give out the appearance of wet/washed look and they do not use it to serve the purpose(i was there when they applied it ) also did not wipe out after application which residues spots when the engine runs hot. Made a complain on the feedback call from them but they haven't get back of a action plan to rectify the same.

-Also they've missed out one of the tyre valve caps and had it replaced with a ugly shiny one. - IMO, they should've advised me about it.

IMG_3827.thumb.jpg.3cae347c0a017b5f051444a0c0dd91c4.jpgIMG_3828.thumb.jpg.6d62de58f4f8c2eaecab82dbd5546460.jpg

8 minutes ago, NemesisArc said:

So i had my 2nd Service done at the agent on 12k mark. Apparently still their default "Recommend" choice of oil is the semi synthetic mobil super 2000 & with my request, Used Mobil 1FS 0W-30.

Since its been 2 years from the purchase i got the transmission oil change indicated as well but the agents said its fine to skip it for 40k mark. so i skipped.

Overall service was not bad but,

-Engine degreaser was used just to give out the appearance of wet/washed look and they do not use it to serve the purpose(i was there when they applied it ) also did not wipe out after application which residues spots when the engine runs hot. Made a complain on the feedback call from them but they haven't get back of a action plan to rectify the same.

-Also they've missed out one of the tyre valve caps and had it replaced with a ugly shiny one. - IMO, they should've advised me about it.

IMG_3827.thumb.jpg.3cae347c0a017b5f051444a0c0dd91c4.jpgIMG_3828.thumb.jpg.6d62de58f4f8c2eaecab82dbd5546460.jpg

@NemesisArc I wonder what was the reason behind to skip the transmission oil change till 40K mileage. So if something happens due to bad transmission oil, will they take full responsibility as you are following their instructions?

besides, not sure why it popped up for transmission oil change, as mine too is 2+ years older, yet it’s just the A,B codes still. (Oil, Oil+Filter). Done 3 services so far.

other things are just the flip side of not being able to be by the car while they do the service, you don’t see what they do with the car. Carelessness is there with almost every guy as it’s not their vehicle they service. I’d always be by the car as I like to see what things are done and how they are done, at the sametime if they are following correct practices.

btw, is your glove compartment damper works fine? They’re known to leave it unfixed or break and blame the customer.

On 7/8/2020 at 2:50 PM, GWX777 said:

@NemesisArc I wonder what was the reason behind to skip the transmission oil change till 40K mileage. So if something happens due to bad transmission oil, will they take full responsibility as you are following their instructions?

besides, not sure why it popped up for transmission oil change, as mine too is 2+ years older, yet it’s just the A,B codes still. (Oil, Oil+Filter). Done 3 services so far.

other things are just the flip side of not being able to be by the car while they do the service, you don’t see what they do with the car. Carelessness is there with almost every guy as it’s not their vehicle they service. I’d always be by the car as I like to see what things are done and how they are done, at the sametime if they are following correct practices.

btw, is your glove compartment damper works fine? They’re known to leave it unfixed or break and blame the customer.

Manual says 2years or 40K - what ever comes first - that's why i thought the reminder indicated to change transmission oil but yeah - should've not skipped. as you said, they wont take any responsibility if things go wrong.

actually i was beside the car time by time but security guy keeps bugging me "sir, customers are not allowed here..bla bla. so i finally came and sat down.

And about the glove compartment damper - yes still functions as usual. maybe they didn't remove it.

• Like 1

More on the EFB batteries. They’re priced at 24,190/- and these guys give a discount + rebate on the old battery of 5690/-. That’s a total of 18,500/- for the new one. Pretty decent compared to the alternative non-EFB batteries from a few other brands.

• Like 1

So I had some trouble starting the car over the past 2 days where it would crank quite hard before switching on. It just wouldn’t start today with the headlights on auto (upon opening the door) so I had to get the battery swapped out. For some reason, the battery test still showed a decent charge of about 60%. Nothing was left on overnight either. Got it changed anyway since I didn’t want to risk a flat battery. Went to Keerthi’s at Battaramulla and switched up to an Amaron EFB. It’s interesting to note that the original Varta that came with the car was rated at a mere 450CCA whereas the one from Amaron is 600CCA.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, misnad said:

So I had some trouble starting the car over the past 2 days where it would crank quite hard before switching on. It just wouldn’t start today with the headlights on auto (upon opening the door) so I had to get the battery swapped out. For some reason, the battery test still showed a decent charge of about 60%. Nothing was left on overnight either. Got it changed anyway since I didn’t want to risk a flat battery. Went to Keerthi’s at Battaramulla and switched up to an Amaron EFB. It’s interesting to note that the original Varta that came with the car was rated at a mere 450CCA whereas the one from Amaron is 600CCA.

A good battery reads about 130%+ when read from a battery tester. What the place you've stated has EFB technology batteries but it's not the exact model required for the Civic (Civic needs L2 battery). Hence the reason why 600CCA. Check the Ah ratings of the battery as well, else your alternator won't be able to keep the battery upto the level if you do short trips mostly.

2 hours ago, GWX777 said:

A good battery reads about 130%+ when read from a battery tester. What the place you've stated has EFB technology batteries but it's not the exact model required for the Civic (Civic needs L2 battery). Hence the reason why 600CCA. Check the Ah ratings of the battery as well, else your alternator won't be able to keep the battery upto the level if you do short trips mostly.

Further, this A*aron Q85 battery is about 3cm taller than the stock V*rta L2 one. But it's the best alternative we've seen yet. So glad that they brought it down to SL for us and others who needed a EFB battery. ?

image.png.2f38f1e43f11804dd3c03bf73806bec7.png

Due to the A*aron Q85 being taller, this wire now dangling around as it cannot be fixed to the battery holder screw.

image.png.f2eda5911fa510efc7a0be4b1dc89028.png

12 hours ago, misnad said:

Where there any signs that your battery was dying? No warning lights from the car? 

On 7/19/2020 at 7:57 AM, RWD said:

Where there any signs that your battery was dying? No warning lights from the car? 

I had just 2 days of sudden struggled cranking in the morning. No indicators at all apart from that. On the day I changed it, the car wouldn’t start at all and I had to switch off every light (Cabin, headlights, side markers) to get it working. That said, I had weird proximity sensor alerts and repeated Auto high beam check system messages coming up for a few days leading to this. They’re all gone now after the switch.

On 7/18/2020 at 7:25 PM, GWX777 said:

Shall check that out, thanks!

• 3 months later...

Good day to everyone!!

Ok so i feel like my air conditioner is about to go off.. ?

recently i felt its not cooling as it was earlier and although the AC is set to sync - Passenger side air is colder than it is on the Driver side - has anyone experienced this?

Anyhow, need to get it checked and please help to advise the best/reliable place you guys come across?? as i've seen several AC related issues on the thread.

deep freeze Kotte if you are in the area- did some minor work on my AC and seemed to know their way around the car.

Modern Air Peliyagoda was where I got my condenser replaced- you can check them out on FB. They have serviced plenty of Civics and even someone at the agent recommended them to me. I did the replacement around 18 months ago and touchwood still no issues

3 hours ago, NemesisArc said:

Good day to everyone!!

Ok so i feel like my air conditioner is about to go off.. ?

recently i felt its not cooling as it was earlier and although the AC is set to sync - Passenger side air is colder than it is on the Driver side - has anyone experienced this?

Anyhow, need to get it checked and please help to advise the best/reliable place you guys come across?? as i've seen several AC related issues on the thread.

Sorry to hear that ☹, btw what is the failure mileage?

8 hours ago, RWD said:

deep freeze Kotte if you are in the area- did some minor work on my AC and seemed to know their way around the car.

I can vouch for them. I did a Major overhaul to my Car's Ac system ( Replacing the cooler,Condenser etc.) It's been over 1 year and no issues at all.

On 10/23/2020 at 1:46 PM, RWD said:

Modern Air Peliyagoda was where I got my condenser replaced- you can check them out on FB. They have serviced plenty of Civics and even someone at the agent recommended them to me. I did the replacement around 18 months ago and touchwood still no issues

Thanks @RWD.. i'm in wattala so the closest is Peliyagoda. ill check them out. ?

• 2 months later...

So i got my air conditioner fixed from where @misnad did his repair.(Sak*ra Auto AC). Did my research and found to be the cheapest place. (Condenser+r1234yf refrigerant) - 70K

About my experience - Owner (Chatura) seems to know the way around the car and involved in overlooking almost all the time. even the Bumper was removed by him with the help of the team. they had the relevant tools for removing plastic caps and was organized with all the nuts & bolts. all was secured in a box right after removing from the body. i'd give 4/5 for the professionalism of the work.

They checked my condenser & showed me all the leaks i had within in the underwater tub. (i had 4 leaking points)

They said the replacement part is a Thailand make (although there was no any "made in.." or proof to support the same). it seems around half a centimetre thicker than the original one. 

After fixing the new Condenser, they vacuumed out the system & pumped the "r1234yf" refrigerant (they said it and the bottle had a branding label saying the same) they've pumped 525g from it but i later found out the Service Manual says the amount range as 375g-425g. when i asked back the next day he said there's no issue in that and they've used the same amount in all other Civics they repaired too.(please share your thoughts). No any oil was added extra to compensate whatever the leaked amount and they said its not needed although the manual says to add 50ml in case of the condenser replacement. despite those 2 questioning points all others when well.

Its been 2 weeks after the repair and so far the AC works same as before.

He checked the cabin filter as well and asked to replace the same as its blocking the airflow. they had the original filters as well and throw me one in for the same total cost.

below are the screenshots for the service manual - will help others as well.

1.png

2.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1