Jump to content
  • Welcome to AutoLanka

    :action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

anuNTZ

Honda Civic 2018

Recommended Posts

23 hours ago, misnad said:

Well, we aren’t clear about the chemical composition of the fluids being used. I’ve personally had a previous car’s radiator choke with rust after one of the mechanics used a totally different type of coolant than was recommended. So while we can’t really control the quality of fuel or dust, at least there’s an option of maintaining the right coolant being used or even motor oil.

Was it with the agent, top up or a full change just for my understanding and precautions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Shall check what the manual says however I recall seeing a mention of non-silicate coolant.

Anyways, I dunno if I’m just so “lucky” with the agent as I found out today that they hadn’t refitted the glove compartment properly after the service. Went back there to make sure I informed them of their substandard post service checks. It was a small thing, but seriously these are the stuff that differentiates carelessness and attentiveness. For an agent, I’d expect the latter. Also got my bumper lower lip fixed at the body shop for like 700/- while I waited. The service center said they checked it and it would cost a lot so they recommended I claimed insurance for it. The reason for the high cost: broken clips!?! I know those things cost peanuts and the body shop guys got it done in under 30min. Sigh!

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, misnad said:

Shall check what the manual says however I recall seeing a mention of non-silicate coolant.

Anyways, I dunno if I’m just so “lucky” with the agent as I found out today that they hadn’t refitted the glove compartment properly after the service. Went back there to make sure I informed them of their substandard post service checks. It was a small thing, but seriously these are the stuff that differentiates carelessness and attentiveness. For an agent, I’d expect the latter. Also got my bumper lower lip fixed at the body shop for like 700/- while I waited. The service center said they checked it and it would cost a lot so they recommended I claimed insurance for it. The reason for the high cost: broken clips!?! I know those things cost peanuts and the body shop guys got it done in under 30min. Sigh!

Here is the thing...agents have to follow a specific SOP for all their work and each task comes with an allotted amount of time. When I took my cars to agents in Japan and Vietnam and the US...the agents had these times set but for little things they usually just forego it and do it at minimal cost and sometimes even give it as a complimentary service (I changed my timing belt and transmission oil change etc...for the Corolla wagon in Japan...they pretty much gave away the transmission oi change).

The thing in Sri Lanka is that these agents for some reason have a very snotty attitude and have gotten in to their head that high quality workmanship and  service means them being snotty little monkies who stand by a workshop manual (albeit for their own benefit but would take serious short cuts when it suits them or is easy for them) and charge exorbitant rates for everything.  I am sure refitting your lip included some elaborate work which would have included pretty much removing most of the front end ; fixing the lip; re-aligning the bumper brackets and mounting the bumper; re-calibrating all the sensors, etc...(heck in some cars you have to remove the headlights to get to the bumper mounts...so then you have to remove/refit headlight cluster, realign headlights). This would take an entire day to do :D. Obviously all those billable hours should not be borne by you...call the insurance !  This is exactly why I tell a lot of people to not run to the agent and insurance every time a three-wheeler decides to give your bumper a kiss (or in your case feeling very amorous towards the pavement). Simply not worth it...save your time...save your no claim bonus...live with the little scratch or do a DIY with it (either by yourself or a decent auto handy-man....everyone should have one of those)

Rant on high prices : Whilst the agents charge a premium for their snotty-ness; on the other hand the reason parts at the agents are expensive is because of the cheap parts that have flooded he market....people got for substandard crappy cheap parts most of the time so the agents are driven to keep high margins to cover up their day to day operational costs through low volume sales

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had the same experience in Maradana. I was told the the damper was broken because I kept the manual in thr cabby. Was lucky enogh to get it replaced under warranty . But now i have seen this post I feel there is something wrong in the way they unhinge the damper to clean the cabin filter.

Shall check what the manual says however I recall seeing a mention of non-silicate coolant.
Anyways, I dunno if I’m just so “lucky” with the agent as I found out today that they hadn’t refitted the glove compartment properly after the service. Went back there to make sure I informed them of their substandard post service checks. It was a small thing, but seriously these are the stuff that differentiates carelessness and attentiveness. For an agent, I’d expect the latter. Also got my bumper lower lip fixed at the body shop for like 700/- while I waited. The service center said they checked it and it would cost a lot so they recommended I claimed insurance for it. The reason for the high cost: broken clips!?! I know those things cost peanuts and the body shop guys got it done in under 30min. Sigh!


Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hi Guys,

I started using mobil full synthetic engine oil 5W30 thinking i could get 10000kms with this. Yesterday after doing just 7000+ i got the oil change reminder on the car. Anyone had this experience before? Is it useless to use full synthetic oils on civic expending a lot on the oil coz it doesn't give you expected 10000 kms range? Do i need to go back to semi synthetic oils again. Please advice

Edited by civicnk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, civicnk said:

Hi Guys,

I started using mobil full synthetic engine oil 5W30 thinking i could get 10000kms with this. Yesterday after doing just 7000+ i got the oil change reminder on the car. Anyone had this experience before? Is it useless to use full synthetic oils on civic expending a lot on the oil coz it doesn't give you expected 10000 kms range? Do i need to go back to semi synthetic oils again. Please advice

How long has it been since the last oil change?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

How long has it been since the last oil change?

Its been 4.5 months now..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, civicnk said:

Hi Guys,

I started using mobil full synthetic engine oil 5W30 thinking i could get 10000kms with this. Yesterday after doing just 7000+ i got the oil change reminder on the car. Anyone had this experience before? Is it useless to use full synthetic oils on civic expending a lot on the oil coz it doesn't give you expected 10000 kms range? Do i need to go back to semi synthetic oils again. Please advice

Seems normal - I use the same brand. Changed in February and done a little over 4000 kms but in heavy traffic and Colombo running only. The indicator came on a few weeks ago and the countdown has begun. It says around 2000 kms left and dropping very rapidly. Remember the maintenance minder looks at other factors such as engine start stop cycles as well. I would still stick with synthetic because that's what the book recommends.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, RWD said:

Seems normal - I use the same brand. Changed in February and done a little over 4000 kms but in heavy traffic and Colombo running only. The indicator came on a few weeks ago and the countdown has begun. It says around 2000 kms left and dropping very rapidly. Remember the maintenance minder looks at other factors such as engine start stop cycles as well. I would still stick with synthetic because that's what the book recommends.

Thanks a lot for the information. BDW mine doen't show a km count instead show service due in 28 days. Is there any way to get the km count left for the service. The model is Civic SR though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, civicnk said:

Hi Guys,

I started using mobil full synthetic engine oil 5W30 thinking i could get 10000kms with this. Yesterday after doing just 7000+ i got the oil change reminder on the car. Anyone had this experience before? Is it useless to use full synthetic oils on civic expending a lot on the oil coz it doesn't give you expected 10000 kms range? Do i need to go back to semi synthetic oils again. Please advice

Stick with fully synthetic as it is mentioned in the user manual. Well, if it makes you feel better, I got the service reminder within the 5000km interval even when using Castrol Fully Synthetic A5, which cost quite a bit. That’s purely because of the number of engine stop/start cycles in heavy traffic. So depending on that, your service intervals could vary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, misnad said:

Stick with fully synthetic as it is mentioned in the user manual. Well, if it makes you feel better, I got the service reminder within the 5000km interval even when using Castrol Fully Synthetic A5, which cost quite a bit. That’s purely because of the number of engine stop/start cycles in heavy traffic. So depending on that, your service intervals could vary.

Thanks a lot Minsad. Will stick to full synthetic.. BDW do you know why my maintenance screen shows the days for the service instead of km s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/3/2019 at 1:39 PM, iRage said:

Here is the thing...agents have to follow a specific SOP for all their work and each task comes with an allotted amount of time. When I took my cars to agents in Japan and Vietnam and the US...the agents had these times set but for little things they usually just forego it and do it at minimal cost and sometimes even give it as a complimentary service (I changed my timing belt and transmission oil change etc...for the Corolla wagon in Japan...they pretty much gave away the transmission oi change).

The thing in Sri Lanka is that these agents for some reason have a very snotty attitude and have gotten in to their head that high quality workmanship and  service means them being snotty little monkies who stand by a workshop manual (albeit for their own benefit but would take serious short cuts when it suits them or is easy for them) and charge exorbitant rates for everything.  I am sure refitting your lip included some elaborate work which would have included pretty much removing most of the front end ; fixing the lip; re-aligning the bumper brackets and mounting the bumper; re-calibrating all the sensors, etc...(heck in some cars you have to remove the headlights to get to the bumper mounts...so then you have to remove/refit headlight cluster, realign headlights). This would take an entire day to do :D. Obviously all those billable hours should not be borne by you...call the insurance !  This is exactly why I tell a lot of people to not run to the agent and insurance every time a three-wheeler decides to give your bumper a kiss (or in your case feeling very amorous towards the pavement). Simply not worth it...save your time...save your no claim bonus...live with the little scratch or do a DIY with it (either by yourself or a decent auto handy-man....everyone should have one of those)

Rant on high prices : Whilst the agents charge a premium for their snotty-ness; on the other hand the reason parts at the agents are expensive is because of the cheap parts that have flooded he market....people got for substandard crappy cheap parts most of the time so the agents are driven to keep high margins to cover up their day to day operational costs through low volume sales

You’re right. Actually, I got it repaired at the agent’s body shop for 700/-. All it took was to remove the left corner of the bumper and fit it back. No realignment, etc. was done though. Here’s hoping the radar still functions properly! The issue was that the lip kept scraping on every single bump I rode over so it had to be fixed back. Had it been insurance, I’m sure they’d have asked to replace the whole part and I’d have lost my entire no claim bonus unnecessarily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, civicnk said:

Thanks a lot Minsad. Will stick to full synthetic.. BDW do you know why my maintenance screen shows the days for the service instead of km s. 

No worries buddy! It looks like there are different implementations of maintenance minder: some give a %, another set in km and others seem to have days remaining. The internal logic should be the same though so I’d get the service done just as it gets closer to the 0 days mark. In mine, it simply gave a km remaining and either said “Service due soon” (which was when I made an appointment) and finally went on to “Service due now”.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Car maintenance schedule is based on mileage/ days/ number of hours engine was running/ number of cold starts etc.. so your vehicle might indicate a service before a specific mileage or time.

In some vehicles once you you exceed the mileage/ days over the tolerance car will go in to limping mode. Better get it serviced.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I thought the maintenance minder is based on no of Km or days from last service.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Quiet said:

I thought the maintenance minder is based on no of Km or days from last service.

Nope. It’s a combination of multiple factors as opposed to just distance / days gone by.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, misnad said:

Nope. It’s a combination of multiple factors as opposed to just distance / days gone by.

So I guess you don't have to reset the service reminder manually?

Edited by Hyaenidae

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2019 at 4:15 PM, misnad said:

So I thought I’d give my 13k km service update here. Despite my whining, I still went back to the agent at Raththanapitiya. Stuck with the trusty Castrol A5 5W-30. This time though, the service advisor was like, “using 10W-50 is good enough for the new Civic”.  I’m lost for words on this one. Even my old Axio 2007 ran on Toyota 10W-30. By the way, there’s hardly a difference in service intervals between the older 5W-30 semi-synthetic and Castrol A5 and that’s most likely due to the heavy running conditions in Colombo traffic. Engine stop/start cycles seem to be a major contributor.

Further, I asked them to re-fit the bumper lower lip and add new clips if required since one side was a little displaced (yes, I managed to scrape the bottom on a kerb), but got the response that if they do that, the radar will probably have to be realigned, etc. Then again, they replaced the entire air spoiler under the lower lip once before without any issues, so he said he’ll get it done. That wasn’t even touched. I’ll take it to the body shop to get it refit next.

Now for the best part. I was told by them to only use the Honda Blue coolant (Type 2) for top-up, which is exactly what’s specified in the owner’s manual as well. However when I purchased a 500ml top-up bottle, I just found out what they provided. It was some Japanese Bear Brand Blue coolant being sold instead. Here’s hoping I don’t run into any issues with the radiator now.

Oh and these guys don’t know what the recommended tyre pressure is. They’ve gone with 29 for all the tires when it’s supposed to be 32psi. Noticed the roughness as soon as I started driving back and got that filled up.

Totally love the car, but really despise the agents now. I think I’ll buy a good scan tool myself and take the car to a different service station going forward. Sigh!

 

That's one hell load of b***shit. I couldn't imagine how you survived there. I would be laughing throughout had if I was there. 😃

"Realign the radar for bumper clip installation". Trust me, I installed a set of an aftermarket horns myself by taking the entire bumper off and hadn't have to do any of that. (That's not required in fact, unless you hit the radar unit with something to lose it's alignment)

Horn_Fix.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/4/2019 at 12:03 PM, Harry (aq) said:

I had the same experience in Maradana. I was told the the damper was broken because I kept the manual in thr cabby. Was lucky enogh to get it replaced under warranty . But now i have seen this post I feel there is something wrong in the way they unhinge the damper to clean the cabin filter.

 


Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk
 

 

The damper needs to be handled very carefully. It needs extra effort and patience to fix it correctly. This is the third Civic owner I'm seeing with unfixed damper in the glove box after servicing from Sta**ord. Seems they needs to be taught on how to do that correctly.

If it's not handled carefully, it can get broken, after all it's made out of plastic. And it's very easy to fast the blame to the manual. Such a bunch of people we have at "authorised agent for Honda vehicles in SL". 😄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 3:10 PM, misnad said:

Guess so, but the Mobil Super 2000 oil in my motor doesn’t seem to be compliant with any ACEA standards, be it A or C series checks. Moreover, it’s a semi-synthetic. Found a Valvoline, Motul and Castrol MAGNATEC that complies with the A5/B5 or A3/B3 specs as per my owner’s manual. Mobil products here don’t seem to have the A5/B5 rating unfortunately though they do have A1/B1, which is quite close. There’s another guy who apparently has a C2 requirement so I guess he’ll need to settle for the C3 oil from Mobil Super 3000.

If you are required to used ACEA C2 just as I have to, use this oil. Mobil1 ESP 5W-30. Available at McL***ns, Union Place in 1 litre cans.

 

Mobil1 ESP.jpg

Mobil1 ESP_2.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2019 at 6:08 PM, Hyaenidae said:

So I guess you don't have to reset the service reminder manually?

If you replace engine oil, you need to reset the maintenance minder manually

 Then it'll start counting remaining oil life based on various different factors like how many kms, at what speed, how many hours etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 8/8/2019 at 9:42 AM, misnad said:

Stick with fully synthetic as it is mentioned in the user manual. Well, if it makes you feel better, I got the service reminder within the 5000km interval even when using Castrol Fully Synthetic A5, which cost quite a bit. That’s purely because of the number of engine stop/start cycles in heavy traffic. So depending on that, your service intervals could vary.

Yep. I use Mobil1 ESP (ACEA C2) and I get roughly above 5000kms as most of the time car is driven in early morning and evening, with good amount of traffic. Weekends story is little different.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register for a new account in our community. It's easy and FREE!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×