• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Civic 2018

anuNTZ

If you do a proper job, and specially to install an aftermarket horn while keeping stock on intact, this is what you got to do.

If you remove the bumper carefully without damaging clips and locks, nothing will happen. Mine was installed back as it was before.

1 hour ago, GWX777 said:

If you do a proper job, and specially to install an aftermarket horn while keeping stock on intact, this is what you got to do.

If you remove the bumper carefully without damaging clips and locks, nothing will happen. Mine was installed back as it was before.

I've DIYed many horns, never got the requirement to take the bumper off, kinda looks like overkill, and so many things to go wrong. Good for you.

8 hours ago, GWX777 said:

Do it for a Civic and we’ll talk again.

You think Civic is bad, 2012-17 CRV had one behind the shell (usual place easy to reach) 2nd behind the bumper behind the fog light (bummer u need the take off the entire front replace).

This is having ample place behind the shell where the 1st one is located.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Hi,

I use a Honda civic gen 10 2018 and today after running around 27500 kms the service due icon appeared. When checked in the maintenance it lists 3 things with service due in 28 days. Please check the attached screenshot and below details.

B: Chassis inspection

2. Dust and Pollen Filter

3. Transmission oil

As i ve heard transmission oil should be changed in 40000kms. Can someone please advice if i need to change Transmission oil as well.

0-02-03-2d07ef84fb6e84321fc1ef701a52307c60771855345afdcf4ffdecf075e72cb7_c4858cd6.jpg

My SR just cleared 9k mark (after 18 months), and here's an update. The cooling in the AC was reducing since a couple of days and had it inspected by my usual AC place and was told that the condensor has started leaking (it was evident visually with 3-4 oily spots).

So long story short, had the condensor replaced (c.a 100K) and downgraded the refrigerant to R134a from the delivered R123yf as charging the system with the latter would've costed another 80K.

Some advice from my experience,

• if you notice a drop in the cooling, stop using the AC and get it checked.
  • The condensor replacement required the whole front end of the car being removed (Grill, bumper) and there are tons of clips and screws, unless everything is aligned properly, the refitting will not not work and make sure you don't let them use (the) force. ?
  • Mine took like 2.5 hour for removal and refitting of the front over 20 minutes of the part replacement. So this is not a rush job.
  • Some clips might break, just make sure they are marked and used in the right places.

20191224_095221.jpg

Edited by Insedious
fixed typo and added pic

On 12/26/2019 at 7:38 AM, vag2 said:

100k for a condenser? Original or no-brand?

100K for everything with a Malaysian OEM part with a 2 year warranty

On 12/26/2019 at 7:38 AM, vag2 said:

Any changes of performance after switching to cheaper gas? It seems the two gases operate at different pressures..

Nope. Performance seems the same. the cooling effect is the same as before but something I noticed was, there was no condensation on the pipes though they were cold to touch.

Will soon share some comparable data with regard to the cooling affect.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/29/2019 at 8:00 AM, Insedious said:

100K for everything with a Malaysian OEM part with a 2 year warranty

Nope. Performance seems the same. the cooling effect is the same as before but something I noticed was, there was no condensation on the pipes though they were cold to touch.

Will soon share some comparable data with regard to the cooling affect.

I also had to use R134a after a minor accident repair in the bumper. I feel like the cooling has reduced a bit but manageable. The other thing I noticed is a small hustling sound coming from the engine bay when the A/C is running. Its only audible when theres no music playing and car is moving at low speed without much reviving (less engine noise). Could be the A/C compressor, but I aint good with car mechanical stuff to even guess. 

By the way @Insedious, how goes you A/C now? All good?

Nice to see the new civic getting the same amount of love and attention as the Lancers. Lots of information on every little bit would be abundant on these forums for the future owners. Anyone stepping upon this knowledge should be thankful to the owners who took their time & effort to post it here!

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Klord said:

By the way @Insedious, how goes you A/C now? All good?

Yeah, it seems to work like it was before. Albeit I've only done about 400 kms since the change. The family (who are very sensitive to changes in the AC, especially during the mid day school runs) have not noticed a difference (negative or positive). 

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/19/2020 at 5:34 AM, Insedious said:

Yeah, it seems to work like it was before. Albeit I've only done about 400 kms since the change. The family (who are very sensitive to changes in the AC, especially during the mid day school runs) have not noticed a difference (negative or positive). 

Feel cooling ability is coming down since last few months. Couldnt inspect by a proper serviceman since I am working far away from colombo. Planning to get inspected and repair if needed in coming weeks. So appreciate any of your advice who have faced the condensor issue.

Is it safe to change the gas type? For other equipment in the system

Recommend a good place to get it repaired

Ok so I've got a god-awful moldy smell emanating from my A/C system. It smells like old wet socks ?. I'm guessing it has to be some horrible mildew that's grown in the AC evaporator filter system. I recall a bit of weird sticky gunk that somewhat disappeared near the drain ways near the wipers when I washed the car. Taking it for an A/C cleanup tomorrow and god knows what I'll find. Probably ask the technician to take a few pics of the dirty filter too :D. Thought of buying a can of Liquimoly A/C spray cleaner and cleaning spray (the one you set off near the cabin filter with windows closed for 5min), but it may not work if there's that ugly gunk stuck inside.

On a second note, anyone tried using K&N air filters instead of stock? Heard good things about them, but there are some reviews that say it's best to stick with stock due to poorer filtering capability of K&N's. Any clue?

8 hours ago, misnad said:

Ok so I've got a god-awful moldy smell emanating from my A/C system. It smells like old wet socks ?. I'm guessing it has to be some horrible mildew that's grown in the AC evaporator filter system. I recall a bit of weird sticky gunk that somewhat disappeared near the drain ways near the wipers when I washed the car. Taking it for an A/C cleanup tomorrow and god knows what I'll find. Probably ask the technician to take a few pics of the dirty filter too :D. Thought of buying a can of Liquimoly A/C spray cleaner and cleaning spray (the one you set off near the cabin filter with windows closed for 5min), but it may not work if there's that ugly gunk stuck inside.

On a second note, anyone tried using K&N air filters instead of stock? Heard good things about them, but there are some reviews that say it's best to stick with stock due to poorer filtering capability of K&N's. Any clue?

I used K&N air filter for my CE110 for last 7~8 years without any problem. Used it for more than 130k km. Cleaned when it seems dirty. Didn't notice any performance change, however the car is of year 1997, hence no real performance too. Filter is now showing degradation signs with rubber molded parts. Im now looking to replace that with similar filter. Also I had to pay close attention during services as service guys wants to clean it the same way they do for paper filter, or just throw it away and replace with paper filter. 

Edited by abiman

18 hours ago, misnad said:

UPDATE: I regret going to the agent today. The first thing they said before I could complete my sentence was that the condenser must be faulty and it is a known issue for this model plus they didn’t have the parts. After repeating myself slowwwwwlyyy (and with a relatively strained yet calm demeanor), they agreed to have a look to find the source of the smell. Inspection was a quick sniff at the vents and immediate suggestions since they believed it wasn’t worth to remove the dashboard, etc. to clear out the evaporator nor was it worthwhile to run an AC service... just for a foul smell:

1) Place some charcoal on a mat overnight inside the car to absorb the odor

2) Run the car for a while using the blower only before switching off at night so it can dry out

When asked about disinfectant sprays at the vents and intake, they said those are useless as they’re merely perfumes ?. So... I visited a LiquiMoly seller at Delkanda to buy myself a disinfectant spray (Klima Fresh). Got it for about 1.5k.

Just tried it out and its mode of action is a liquid spray that gets absorbed through the cabin filter intake into the evaporator unit while the blower runs. No disassembly required. And it certainly isn’t just a “perfume”. Going back to the car park in a while to check on how it performed. If it hasn’t eliminated the mold, the next approach is to use a foaming disinfectant at the AC inlets as well as a liquid spray pushed through tubing directly into the evaporator through vents. Failing that, I’ll take it to an AC repair outlet.

What a smelly situation to be in ?

33 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

Wouldn't be the first time you said the exact same thing

*dejavu intensifies*

I guess I just wanted to annoy myself. Sigh! In the car now... moldy smell is nearly gone.. should try one more canister to blast off the residue.. die mold die!!!

26 minutes ago, misnad said:

I guess I just wanted to annoy myself. Sigh! In the car now... moldy smell is nearly gone.. should try one more canister to blast off the residue.. die mold die!!!

What could be the reason for mold formation though? Is it just bad luck? I've never had that issue with any cars I owned

10 minutes ago, Hyaenidae said:

What could be the reason for mold formation though? Is it just bad luck? I've never had that issue with any cars I owned

Same here.. first time I’ve encountered it. According to Scotty, you’ve got to be cautious when washing the wiper area with a high pressure water jet as it can enter the AC intake and drop into the evaporator filter. If you’ve got bird poop or some other organic muck inside (I noticed a glob right there), it can form the ideal home for mold. It’s quite common in the US under tropical weather however I’ve never had this issue here before. The second one is using a moist carpet close to the cabin filter (passenger side). This happened a few days after a car wash.. ample time for mold to form.

• Like 1

As if the mold wasn’t enough, my condenser gave way today in the midst of scorching heat! Took it to my usual A/C shop and they showed me the leaky condenser. So here’s to replacing it now with a new one. Estimated cost is 70k with the R1234yf gas. Sitting here waiting for the job to complete.

11 minutes ago, misnad said:

As if the mold wasn’t enough, my condenser gave way today in the midst of scorching heat! Took it to my usual A/C shop and they showed me the leaky condenser. So here’s to replacing it now with a new one. Estimated cost is 70k with the R1234yf gas. Sitting here waiting for the job to complete.

Oh, no. Yours is kaput too? Still, for replacement of condenser and filling it back up for 70k seems reasonable (reasonable is not the word here frankly speaking ?). Earlier I heard of cases where condenser alone was around that much.

1 hour ago, misnad said:

New condenser + R1234yf gas for 70k? That sounds like a steal compared to the deal @Insedious got just about 2 months ago - 100k for the condenser alone and another 80k for R1234yf

On 12/26/2019 at 7:16 AM, Insedious said:

had it inspected by my usual AC place and was told that the condensor has started leaking (it was evident visually with 3-4 oily spots).

So long story short, had the condensor replaced (c.a 100K) and downgraded the refrigerant to R134a from the delivered R123yf as charging the system with the latter would've costed another 80K.

Some advice from my experience,

• if you notice a drop in the cooling, stop using the AC and get it checked.
  • The condensor replacement required the whole front end of the car being removed (Grill, bumper) and there are tons of clips and screws, unless everything is aligned properly, the refitting will not not work and make sure you don't let them use (the) force. ?
  • Mine took like 2.5 hour for removal and refitting of the front over 20 minutes of the part replacement. So this is not a rush job.
  • Some clips might break, just make sure they are marked and used in the right places.

20191224_095221.jpg

3 hours ago, misnad said:

Sorry to hear about that but as others have said that's a good deal. I paid a total of 130k for the condenser and r1234yf last year! Where is your Ac shop? 

Ah just got it back and it’s really good to see the car back to normal. So no more smelly mold either. They’ve done a comprehensive job and serviced the entire AC system too. Got this done at a place called Sakura Auto A/C and they’re right down the end of Anderson Road. They have another branch on Hospital Road near the Budhdhagosha bus stand. Total bill was 68k.

Here’s hoping this unit lasts longer than the previous one!