• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Civic 2018

anuNTZ

17 hours ago, misnad said:

So I just checked up on the oil St****rd used for my Civic at my last service interval (5000km) and it was an older Mobil Super 2000 5W-30 synthetic blend. Since I've driven the car for a while now and am about 2500km away from my next scheduled service (as per maintenance minder), I can still feel that my car's economy is a bit off and hasn't improved much (previously 14L/100km to roughly 13L/100km daily Colombo driving). Further, I also feel something is off w.r.t the ease at which it accelerates to speed compared to before the oil change. Looked at the owner's manual and it says to use either Honda Engine Oil Type 2.0 (I'm sure St****rd doesn't have that unlike Toyota Lanka having their genuine oil) or 5W-30. Checked up on the Mobil1 UK site using the vehicle selector and it looks like the 1L model needs either Mobil1 Fuel Economy 0W-30 (Fully Synthetic) or Mobil Super 3000 X1 5W-30 (Fully Synthetic).

From what I know, the synthetic blend oils are more of a gimmick as they just comprise of between 10% to 30% synthetic elements mixed into conventional oil. Given that this is a turbocharged unit and that too, a little 3 cylinder engine, I'm sure it will run a little hotter than the usual 4 cylinder version. Shall talk to the service advisor next time prior to maintenance and see if it makes sense to switch to the recommended engine oils. Anyone else in here with an idea as to what would be preferred or am I just being pedantic?

Well I have not had an oil change on my car yet but on the topic of fuel economy have you tried doing a manual measurement? Mine too moves around in the 13-14l/100 range. The EXT is loaded to the hilt and is probably heavier than the SR versions so I don't think you can expect better fuel consumption in colombo traffic. 

Let us know about the oil once you consult Stafford. Since they bring down the same car and offer a warranty you would think they would know what the best oil would be in our conditions. 

17 hours ago, RWD said:

Well I have not had an oil change on my car yet but on the topic of fuel economy have you tried doing a manual measurement? Mine too moves around in the 13-14l/100 range. The EXT is loaded to the hilt and is probably heavier than the SR versions so I don't think you can expect better fuel consumption in colombo traffic. 

Let us know about the oil once you consult Stafford. Since they bring down the same car and offer a warranty you would think they would know what the best oil would be in our conditions. 

I asked the same from the st****rd when my first service came up. But their reply was "our country's weather is different to the Europe and because of that they use 5w30 oil for the civics here". I bought my civic from them sta****rd too.

Edited by Senalw

On 1/3/2019 at 9:22 PM, misnad said:

.... (I'm sure St****rd doesn't have that unlike Toyota Lanka having their genuine oil) or 5W-30. Checked up on the Mobil1 UK site using the vehicle selector and it looks like the 1L model needs either Mobil1 Fuel Economy 0W-30 (Fully Synthetic) or Mobil Super 3000 X1 5W-30 (Fully Synthetic).

Re-playing my broken record again for the 102nd time. Car manufacturers do not make oil. They take someone else's oil and re-brand it. Usually these oils (and parts like oil filters, spark plugs, etc...) are those that meet the minimum specifications required for the vehicle to operate within its indicated thresholds. So getting an oil (or other part) with the manufacturers brand on it does not mean it is the best for the car. Unfortunately in SL good oils are not easy to come by and/or are unreasonably expensive. Toyota is known to have used brands like Castle, Mobil and Castrol.

Now there are certain cases where the manufacturers get the oil makers to manufacture special oils for them. eg. Honda's diff oil in the past had to be Honda oil because they used a proprietary oil (plenty of Gen 1 and Gen 2 CRVs have burnt out rear diffs because people used non Honda oil). Also, the likes of TRD, NISMO, etc...get manufactures to make  performance oils; which again have a bit of the manufacturer's own R&D/proprietary knowledge in it. 

So...don't be afraid to use oils that are not manufacturers oils.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, iRage said:

Re-playing my broken record again for the 102nd time. Car manufacturers do not make oil. They take someone else's oil and re-brand it. Usually these oils (and parts like oil filters, spark plugs, etc...) are those that meet the minimum specifications required for the vehicle to operate within its indicated thresholds. So getting an oil (or other part) with the manufacturers brand on it does not mean it is the best for the car. Unfortunately in SL good oils are not easy to come by and/or are unreasonably expensive. Toyota is known to have used brands like Castle, Mobil and Castrol.

Now there are certain cases where the manufacturers get the oil makers to manufacture special oils for them. eg. Honda's diff oil in the past had to be Honda oil because they used a proprietary oil (plenty of Gen 1 and Gen 2 CRVs have burnt out rear diffs because people used non Honda oil). Also, the likes of TRD, NISMO, etc...get manufactures to make  performance oils; which again have a bit of the manufacturer's own R&D/proprietary knowledge in it. 

So...don't be afraid to use oils that are not manufacturers oils.

Of course they don’t make their own oil and that’s obvious. The question at hand is the type of oil to be used here as my car has been filled up with Mobil 2000 5W-30 synthetic blend. The newer Civics built after 2018 have a requirement for ACEA C2 oil specified on the oil lid as they seem to come with a gasoline particulate filter whereas ones before that (2017) don’t require it.

2 hours ago, misnad said:

The newer Civics built after 2018 have a requirement for ACEA C2 oil specified on the oil lid as they seem to come with a gasoline particulate filter whereas ones before that (2017) don’t require it.

The spec here states that Mobil Super 3000 XE 5W-30 is ACEA C3. 

According to this C3 has higher HTHS viscosity than C2. But both C2 and C3 has mid-SAPS levels.

So, what is the effect? slight drop in fuel economy?

16 hours ago, Eagle Eye said:

The spec here states that Mobil Super 3000 XE 5W-30 is ACEA C3. 

According to this C3 has higher HTHS viscosity than C2. But both C2 and C3 has mid-SAPS levels.

So, what is the effect? slight drop in fuel economy?

According to this, a higher HTHS viscosity could contribute to lower engine wear and lower HTHS viscosity will contribute to a better fuel economy.

• Like 1

Guess so, but the Mobil Super 2000 oil in my motor doesn’t seem to be compliant with any ACEA standards, be it A or C series checks. Moreover, it’s a semi-synthetic. Found a Valvoline, Motul and Castrol MAGNATEC that complies with the A5/B5 or A3/B3 specs as per my owner’s manual. Mobil products here don’t seem to have the A5/B5 rating unfortunately though they do have A1/B1, which is quite close. There’s another guy who apparently has a C2 requirement so I guess he’ll need to settle for the C3 oil from Mobil Super 3000.

4 hours ago, misnad said:

Guess so, but the Mobil Super 2000 oil in my motor doesn’t seem to be compliant with any ACEA standards, be it A or C series checks. Moreover, it’s a semi-synthetic. Found a Valvoline, Motul and Castrol MAGNATEC that complies with the A5/B5 or A3/B3 specs as per my owner’s manual. Mobil products here don’t seem to have the A5/B5 rating unfortunately though they do have A1/B1, which is quite close. There’s another guy who apparently has a C2 requirement so I guess he’ll need to settle for the C3 oil from Mobil Super 3000.

I have a Ford Focus 1l ecoboost similar to your Civic engine. Ford recommends Castrol 0W 20 complies with the A5/B5. Local agent did the oil change using Castrol Edge Professional full synthetic 5W 20 which complies with A5/B5. I guess you may be able to find Castrol  Edge Pro 5W 20 as well from the local Castrol agent or any other oil store who has high end oils.

My engine use 4.6l liters so had to purchase 5 1l cans. The total cost was 14850/- and have to change in 6 months intervals according to our extreme driving conditions.

• Like 2

Has anyone here experienced a weird "ticking" or "tapping" sound from any of the shutters under normal operation specially when idling? It's like someone is tapping on the glass with fingernails and occurs with regular intervals like a clock. Disappears from time to time, but what I've noticed is that it keeps coming up in the daytime when driving under harsh sunlight. It goes away when the temp is cooler outside or at night. Mine is present at the driver-side window and still couldn't identify where exactly it comes from. Tried lowering the shutter and it's still there. Tried holding the glass tight and no joy. Beading seems ok. Just that there's a crack in the top corner window garnish cover (small plastic triangle) thanks to Stafford, but it doesn't seem to come from there. Drives me insane as it is quite constant.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/8/2019 at 4:30 PM, misnad said:

Has anyone here experienced a weird "ticking" or "tapping" sound from any of the shutters under normal operation ... Drives me insane as it is quite constant.

I've been observant for a while and such thing did not occur in mine. As per your explanation, it is likely to be due to expansion of some part due to heat, isn't it? Did you try with not pushing the shutter all the way up, but pushing only a little into the groove?

On 1/7/2019 at 7:38 PM, tbird said:

I have a Ford Focus 1l ecoboost similar to your Civic engine. Ford recommends Castrol 0W 20 complies with the A5/B5. Local agent did the oil change using Castrol Edge Professional full synthetic 5W 20 which complies with A5/B5. I guess you may be able to find Castrol  Edge Pro 5W 20 as well from the local Castrol agent or any other oil store who has high end oils.

My engine use 4.6l liters so had to purchase 5 1l cans. The total cost was 14850/- and have to change in 6 months intervals according to our extreme driving conditions.

Fully synthetic should be good for 1 year 15,000 km this is what is recommended by premium Euros (Merc, BMW, Porsche agents)

Just go through what is classified as harsh conditions in the manual it doesn't really apply in Sri Lankan context. Unless you do only couple of km in Colombo heavy traffic few times a day or run a cab service in Colombo. 

27 minutes ago, Eagle Eye said:

I've been observant for a while and such thing did not occur in mine. As per your explanation, it is likely to be due to expansion of some part due to heat, isn't it? Did you try with not pushing the shutter all the way up, but pushing only a little into the groove?

Yup.. tried it and then rolled up, rolled down, pushed against it, but still no luck in identifying the source. I guess it’s some beading expanding under heat and the noise seems to be getting in due to a broken corner garnish lid (plastic triangular piece at the top edge of the shutter); compliments of the boys at St****rd for that.

7C465A4A-024C-4F16-B966-19A213CC6A98.jpeg

Yup.. tried it and then rolled up, rolled down, pushed against it, but still no luck in identifying the source. I guess it’s some beading expanding under heat and the noise seems to be getting in due to a broken corner garnish lid (plastic triangular piece at the top edge of the shutter); compliments of the boys at St****rd for that.
7C465A4A-024C-4F16-B966-19A213CC6A98.thumb.jpeg.070613537af5ff42517cacaaed1f53fa.jpeg
https://www.civicx.com/threads/ticking-sound-coming-from-drivers-window-area.15745/

Sent from my Nokia 1100 using AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, matroska said:

Was this St##### Maradana or the other one in Boralasgamuwa ?

Rattanapitiya body shop.

On the lines of engine oil, I called them up to book a service appointment (10,000km interval) and checked on the oil they use. The advisor said that it’s up to the customer if they want 10k km services or 5k km services. If it is 5k, they use 5w-30 semi synthetic, however they use fully synthetic for 10k intervals. When I asked them which brand they use since they used Mobil last time (that was recommended), they’re now saying that they recommend Castrol 5W-30 as Mobil only comes in 0W-30 fully synthetic and that apparently burns up easily due to it being 0W. That’s a load of tosh as Mobil 5W-30 fully synthetic is available here and I also don’t think the 0W-30 oil would “burn off” faster than a 5W-30. Besides, these are high HTHS oils anyways given their A5/B5 and A1/B1 ratings. Looks like I’ll be taking my own engine oil going forward.

24 minutes ago, misnad said:

Rattanapitiya body shop.

On the lines of engine oil, I called them up to book a service appointment (10,000km interval) and checked on the oil they use. The advisor said that it’s up to the customer if they want 10k km services or 5k km services. If it is 5k, they use 5w-30 semi synthetic, however they use fully synthetic for 10k intervals. When I asked them which brand they use since they used Mobil last time (that was recommended), they’re now saying that they recommend Castrol 5W-30 as Mobil only comes in 0W-30 fully synthetic and that apparently burns up easily due to it being 0W. That’s a load of tosh as Mobil 5W-30 fully synthetic is available here and I also don’t think the 0W-30 oil would “burn off” faster than a 5W-30. Besides, these are high HTHS oils anyways given their A5/B5 and A1/B1 ratings. Looks like I’ll be taking my own engine oil going forward.

That sounds like they probably have a source of getting Castrol5-30 for cheap. I haven't done the oil change yet but was expecting to use Mobil 5-30. 

On 1/21/2019 at 11:48 AM, Insedious said:

Do you have to pay corkage for that?

So I tried to book a service appointment using my own oil and the service advisor asked me to first check with their reception and sales if they have the same oil as they normally don’t take parts or stuff brought by the customer. Sigh.

29 minutes ago, misnad said:

So I tried to book a service appointment using my own oil and the service advisor asked me to first check with their reception and sales if they have the same oil as they normally don’t take parts or stuff brought by the customer. Sigh.

FFS! This is why they lose a lot of customers. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2019 at 3:17 PM, misnad said:

@misnad what was the outcome? My service soon notification just popped on. Oil life still says 3000 kms though and the car has done around 3500. Wanted to go with Mobil 5w-30 fully synthetic 

28 minutes ago, RWD said:

@misnad what was the outcome? My service soon notification just popped on. Oil life still says 3000 kms though and the car has done around 3500. Wanted to go with Mobil 5w-30 fully synthetic 

Didn’t service it yet as I’ve got like another 1000km to go despite the “Service due soon” reminder popping up, which will be covered in like 3 weeks. I’ll be going for it next weekend though. Shall keep you posted.