• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Civic 2018

anuNTZ

On 11/18/2018 at 12:33 AM, misnad said:

You’re welcome, bro. Actually they run a diagnostics too on the sensors as well as reset the maintenance minder once oil is changed. If those can be done at the service station, should be fine. Also, the oil they used for me was Mobil1 5w 30 synthetic blend. My suggestion is to also check and ensure you’re getting a genuine oil filter as this car needs good flowing oil given it has a turbocharger. Bad oil = turbo problems.

Stafford charged me 6k for an inspection at 1500km and 12k for the oil change, etc. at 4800km.

Many thanks. I will do by stafford. (y)

1 hour ago, MalithCS said:

Did anyone try for halogen to LED headlight conversion? I am having a Civic 2018 Ex.
 I saw many LED headlights on ebay, for different price ranges. 

Yes I did that. However here are some things you need consider

• Most after market LED lights have the LED arrays on the either sides of the assembly, making the light patter look split between the middle, especially with the low beam. However it has only an esthetic drawback, the effectiveness is not hampered by it.
  • The lumens promised and delivered vary drastically based on the design of the reflectors, somehow I feel that the halogens have a higher intensity though the temperature is warmer.
  • The Civic has very limited space behind the head lamps so circulation will be an issue, so Active cooled LED head lamps will be your friend. Also, find someone has small hands. Ye O'l Mr.Bockwurst fingers will have mild coronary playing with this lady's headlight related plumbing.
  • Since these bad boys get really warm, it makes sense to buy one with controller that monitors the health of the cooling fan and cut power to the lights if the fan fails. ( we don't want those expensive headlight housings melting away)
  • Since the internal resistance in LED lights are pretty high, it might tell the ECU that the bulbs are burnt so then "CANBUS Ready" ones seem to work (at least for me, I didn't try it with one without this). I've heard that also causes the lights to flicker.
  • The micro controller for solving the above two problems is attached to the light assembly and it gets really hot, so had to use double sided thermal tape and fix it to the chassis.

However having said that, the up side is the headlight does not get warm (as LEDs are more efficient and the cooling fan is somehow managing the heat on the backside. (pun)

However the LED lights delivered as part of the TekPack is alot more impressive and looks cooler too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Insedious said:

Yes I did that. However here are some things you need consider

• Most after market LED lights have the LED arrays on the either sides of the assembly, making the light patter look split between the middle, especially with the low beam. However it has only an esthetic drawback, the effectiveness is not hampered by it.
  • The lumens promised and delivered vary drastically based on the design of the reflectors, somehow I feel that the halogens have a higher intensity though the temperature is warmer.
  • The Civic has very limited space behind the head lamps so circulation will be an issue, so Active cooled LED head lamps will be your friend. Also, find someone has small hands. Ye O'l Mr.Bockwurst fingers will have mild coronary playing with this lady's headlight related plumbing.
  • Since these bad boys get really warm, it makes sense to buy one with controller that monitors the health of the cooling fan and cut power to the lights if the fan fails. ( we don't want those expensive headlight housings melting away)
  • Since the internal resistance in LED lights are pretty high, it might tell the ECU that the bulbs are burnt so then "CANBUS Ready" ones seem to work (at least for me, I didn't try it with one without this). I've heard that also causes the lights to flicker.
  • The micro controller for solving the above two problems is attached to the light assembly and it gets really hot, so had to use double sided thermal tape and fix it to the chassis.

However having said that, the up side is the headlight does not get warm (as LEDs are more efficient and the cooling fan is somehow managing the heat on the backside. (pun)

However the LED lights delivered as part of the TekPack is alot more impressive and looks cooler too.

Does the TekPack get the same bulb type as the halogen version? 

12 hours ago, Magnum said:

Does the TekPack get the same bulb type as the halogen version? 

Nope. Tech Pack has a whole different headlight assembly and contains several LEDs in an array unlike a single bulb on the halogen one. That said, from what I heard if one of those LED’s in the array pop, it’s quite a costly replacement. God help me. Uploaded pics of the Tech Pack headlights

71E3034B-23C1-4D6B-9C08-25B721AD6674.jpeg

BD56D39D-B745-41CD-B31E-E6A112C77C68.jpeg

On ‎11‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 8:00 PM, MalithCS said:

Did anyone try for halogen to LED headlight conversion? I am having a Civic 2018 Ex.
I saw many LED headlights on ebay, for different price ranges. 

@ Malith - I have ordered some LED's from ebay(both Hi and Low beams). Will let you know the outcome when I get them.  

• Thanks 1

On 11/25/2018 at 12:45 PM, misnad said:

Nope. Tech Pack has a whole different headlight assembly and contains several LEDs in an array unlike a single bulb on the halogen one. That said, from what I heard if one of those LED’s in the array pop, it’s quite a costly replacement. God help me. Uploaded pics of the Tech Pack headlights

Shoddy job in hiding your licence plate number dude ?

• Haha 1

On 11/25/2018 at 12:45 PM, misnad said:

Proper quality HIDs and LEDs do not die that quickly

• 4 weeks later...

Friends,

Since the 2018 Civic hatch has now passed the 4000km mark, I thought I’d share the journey so far with the forum

• The ride continues to be enjoyable. The steering crisp and the ultra wide tyres and the low ride height is a joy to drive
  • The 3 cylinder rumble is something I’m still not used. Also the high idle RPM as well
  • At 1000km mark took it to Sta***ord at Raththanapitiya for a check up (brakes, fluid levels etc) but nothing was changed. (Costed 6K later it triggered a TPMS warning which was ratified after the system was recalibrated after checking the tyre pressure at the usual gas station)
  • The 3D carpets seem to a good idea, trapping all the sand and gravel in it’s bucket like layout with most of the stuff getting sandwiched between the coil carpet and the 3d carpet itself.
  • One of the LED low beams died, most probably due to the constant usage. But went back for more LEDs as illumination seem better than the stock halogens (also the heat dissipation factor was a consideration as well)
  • Nearing 4000km, car promptly notified the service is nearing so went back to Sta***rd and got the service done. Ended up costing 15K. They were informed about the previous TPMS issue and it didn’t recur. 
  • The fabric upholstery in the SR continues to be a sweat and dirt magnet so need to invest in a good upholstery cleaner

In general I’m still happy with the car, however had the 1000cc Sedan been available at the time of my order, I would’ve gone for the sedan ( I guess there would be a power loss for the additional weight)

Apart from that I’ve Made the following changes

• Added the Sri Lanka map from Open Street maps to the Garmin head unit and it’s working like a charm (I’ve shared the process in another thread)
  • Since the SR didn’t come with a anti dazzling mirror, installed an OEM one (P# 76400-SZA-A22 & 08V03-TBA-100). The installation was a bit complicated as the wire harness had to be installed as well. This required the removal of the lower part console on the driver side and wiring the ground connection was b*tch. But all in all it was a success.
  • Added the body side moulding to protect the paintwork (P# 08P05-TGG)
  • Added OEM door visors (P# 08R04-TGG-100). Installation was easy but definitely a two man job. The clips provided so tiny they can get lost easily inside the dark interior of the car so I recommend laying a light colored bed sheet or something similar wile you are working on them.
  • Added splash guards (mud flaps) (P# 08P00-TGG-100). The installation was easy and it fitted like a glove.

I’ve attached some pics of the stuff added. Hope this  others.

20181225_062830_HDR_Film1.thumb.jpg.4f3eca3af16cc39c8ade2929cd1df8f5.jpg20181225_062812_HDR_Film1.thumb.jpg.c5bc71c0e10e5b786cb546c474490266.jpg20181225_062748_HDR_Film1.thumb.jpg.8c580bb930ec857ad10c13c9c8a6ac54.jpg

1 hour ago, Insedious said:

• Added OEM door visors (P# 08R04-TGG-100). Installation was easy but definitely a two man job. The clips provided so tiny they can get lost easily inside the dark interior of the car so I recommend laying a light colored bed sheet or something similar wile you are working on them.
  • Added splash guards (mud flaps) (P# 08P00-TGG-100). The installation was easy and it fitted like a glove.

Great update! Where did you get the accessories though? Checked eBay and some other online sites, but shipping charges are nasty. Sta***rd told me they weren’t bringing down accessories for the Civic :(

Nice write up @Insedious

I too have done 1700 kms now. Some observations. 

1. Fuel consumption has stablized at around 8.5km/l in the urban crawl from nawala to colpetty. 

2. Stafford did the service. Did not change anything at 1300 kms. 

3. There is ample power for day to day driving in colombo but this weekend I have to do a kandy trip so it will be interesting to see how she pulls up the hills. 

4. Electrics are sometimes glitchy. Bluetooth doesn't always connect. Auto breaking system kicks in abruptly when the sun shines directly on the sensor. Auto headlight leveling once got confused in a storm. But these are all minor niggles. Speakers have broken in and sound a lot better though it lacks bass big time. 

4. There is a slight miss similar to what another poster had described when accelerating. But that's because our fuel isn't the best. Doesn't always happen though so not a big deal. 

5. Ride and handling are superb and always puts a smile on your face. Leather seats are comfy and supportive. 

No regrets about buying and even though the back of the hatch looks hideous I still prefer this to the sedan. 

7 hours ago, misnad said:

Great update! Where did you get the accessories though? Checked eBay and some other online sites, but shipping charges are nasty. Sta***rd told me they weren’t bringing down accessories for the Civic :(

Yeah. You are correct, it's almost impossible to get the right OEM parts in SL, I got a friend in the US to order it and ship it via sea freight. Of course had to do the obligatory rain dance with the customs on why these things should not be taxed. One good thing about the US I found was, most of these so called Dealer options are also open for the general public as well, albeit cheaper.

I can recommend the Honda dealer and the shipping agent I used but please PM me as I don't want to canvass 3rd party service providers. Sadly the prior will only deliver to a US address. ?

On 12/25/2018 at 8:24 AM, Insedious said:

Great. I think adding splash guards might a wise decision.

13 hours ago, MalithCS said:

I have done 4500km now. Planning to go for the service next weekend. However, system shows still remaining 9000km oil life. I am guessing that oil might still in good condition, since I was on many long rides for that 4500km. 

I don't think the system can determine the oil quality. The system probably works on a set service interval for UK.

13 minutes ago, Magnum said:

I don't think the system can determine the oil quality. The system probably works on a set service interval for UK.

That's what I thought initially as well. However, when the car was delivered, the oil life time was showing around 19400 kms however as we were driving the car, it was coming down drastically, if my memory serves me right, around 2000km, the life time had depleted by half and was showing something like 9000 km. Around 3500 km it started saying that the service is nearing. And now 200kms after the service, the oil life time is shown as 18600km.

Interestingly enough the user manual has the following quote (Oil Monitor System Displaying the Oil Monitor System Information : 615)

"Based on the engine operating and engine oil conditions, the remaining distance to the next maintenance period is calculated and displayed."

stopping short of speculating, It would be interesting to see how the above is done.

4 hours ago, Magnum said:

The system calculate the remaining oil life based on the engine running time not the km run by the vehicle. 

Reset of the countdown can be set to 5000km as well. I guess when the car was manufactured in UK it was originally set for 10,000km. 

What I still fail to understand is this drastic difference in engine oil life in these 2 countries. 

It is based on a algorithm based on engine running time, age (time since last change), number of cold starts, ambient temperature, average speed etc.

Hence the difference in oil life time due to difference in climate and driving conditions

• Like 1

https://www.edmunds.com/car-maintenance/oil-life-monitoring-systems.html

"Electronic sensors throughout the drivetrain send information about engine revolutions, temperature and driving time to the car's computer. The data is run through a mathematical algorithm that predicts when the oil will begin to degrade."

Please refer this.

I have done 4400km now, and showing 7600km oil life. As I thought before, it might due to long journeys. (Less engine running time, etc)

So I just checked up on the oil St****rd used for my Civic at my last service interval (5000km) and it was an older Mobil Super 2000 5W-30 synthetic blend. Since I've driven the car for a while now and am about 2500km away from my next scheduled service (as per maintenance minder), I can still feel that my car's economy is a bit off and hasn't improved much (previously 14L/100km to roughly 13L/100km daily Colombo driving). Further, I also feel something is off w.r.t the ease at which it accelerates to speed compared to before the oil change. Looked at the owner's manual and it says to use either Honda Engine Oil Type 2.0 (I'm sure St****rd doesn't have that unlike Toyota Lanka having their genuine oil) or 5W-30. Checked up on the Mobil1 UK site using the vehicle selector and it looks like the 1L model needs either Mobil1 Fuel Economy 0W-30 (Fully Synthetic) or Mobil Super 3000 X1 5W-30 (Fully Synthetic).

From what I know, the synthetic blend oils are more of a gimmick as they just comprise of between 10% to 30% synthetic elements mixed into conventional oil. Given that this is a turbocharged unit and that too, a little 3 cylinder engine, I'm sure it will run a little hotter than the usual 4 cylinder version. Shall talk to the service advisor next time prior to maintenance and see if it makes sense to switch to the recommended engine oils. Anyone else in here with an idea as to what would be preferred or am I just being pedantic?