• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda Civic 2018

anuNTZ

8 hours ago, RWD said:

Boys

Quick question- I am going to be overseas for 6-8 weeks from mid September and the car will be parked at my home and not driven.

Not sure whether this is good or bad. (Yes I know if you parked inside a fully covered garage this wont work).

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RWD said:

thanks guys. Its a covered garage but opening out into a verandah area so its not so enclosed. Will get the wife to check for rodents and put rat traps around the car!

also the house and garden has to be rat free. I learned my lesson once and it took a week to find the damaged wire (which prevented the car from starting,)behind the steering wheel after taking the dashboard completely off. Do you have a metal grill installed at the AC filter inlet?

Thought I'd post an update as the car passed the 1000 km mark.

• Consumption is around 12km/l (Not that I care but this seems to be the first question I get where ever I go). This is with Eco on, auto engine stop on and the car was only used in the city during morning rush hour, after school rush hour and evening rush hour
  • The 1L engine has not failed to impress so far but the 3 Cylinder rumble is something noticeable (but who cares)
  • Got a 3M tint done from C*re P*nt for the front windshield, for the front windows and the rear windshield. ( Do to recommend caution here, even the lightest tint cuts 30% of the light might land you in a gray area with Colombo's finest)
  • Put the clear sticker for the side mirrors so the better half can rub elbows with everyone around.
  • Bought a Jack and a spare tire from Delkanda. The Jack for the Fit serves the purpose and fits in the compartment like a glove also. The spare tire was a hit and a miss for me. I got the one for Vezel even though it was a tad smaller for this one (fitment 94%). The right tire would be T125/80D16 97M with the rim size 16X4T
  • Put one of those custom made carpeting that covers whole of the carpeting as it's easier to clean. Best 15K investment ever.
  • Went to Staf**rd and got the check up done. Was told that oil change was not required till we hit the 5k mark.
  • The TPMS started acting up the day after it was in Staf**rd. So re-checked the pressure while it's cold and recalibrated the system. So fingers crossed.

To do list

• The tyres really wide so there are some nice streaks of mud on the lower panels/bumper so planning on getting down some OEM splash guard (mud flaps). Nice of Honda to make them.
  • Considering door visors and door side moulding as comfort feature
  • Updating the navigation to support SL map was put on back burner as the integration Android Auto and Apple Car Play is beyond acceptable.

Will post more as things unravel.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Insedious said:

Thought I'd post an update as the car passed the 1000 km mark.

• Consumption is around 12km/l (Not that I care but this seems to be the first question I get where ever I go). This is with Eco on, auto engine stop on and the car was only used in the city during morning rush hour, after school rush hour and evening rush hour

12 km/l is great in the city. I barely manage 8 km/l with Econ and Auto-stop on, but then again my route is from Dehiwala to Dematagoda through Borella during office traffic hours. How are your climate settings though? Do you have it on Auto?

I should’ve gone for the custom carpets as the 3M ones I bought for 22k just keep slipping around over time. K***n P**k quoted 38k for the custom K-Mat carpet! Also considering AlloyGators to protect the rims as I seem to end up too close to the curb with the traffic down my usual route.

I’m nearing 3000km and love the car so far. Has anyone done the oil change after 5000km and noticed a reasonable difference in economy or engine smoothness? By the way, what’s the oil used?

What are these custom carpets you two keep talking about ? Is it one of those carpets tat fully cover the car's carpeting ? becareful of those as the moisture gets trapped under those and starts to mold. My Fortuner in Hanoi came with a carpet that pretty much covered the entire factory carpeting and it started to mold underneath....

20 minutes ago, iRage said:

What are these custom carpets you two keep talking about ? 

This is the 3M carpet I installed from TintCity @ Maradana. They cut the carpet to the exact fit of your car. They claim that it will trap dust so it wont circulate with the air-conditioner and claim to keep the car comparatively cooler (I dnt know whats the theory on that one). 

font-b-3m-b-font-font-b-car-b-font-font-b-mats-b-font-600x600.jpg

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, misnad said:

12 km/l is great in the city. I barely manage 8 km/l with Econ and Auto-stop on, but then again my route is from Dehiwala to Dematagoda through Borella during office traffic hours. How are your climate settings though? Do you have it on Auto?

Yes but the temperature is set to 25-26, the 3M tint is doing a good job cutting out the heat I think. 

1 hour ago, misnad said:

Also considering AlloyGators to protect the rims

I think you should go for it. Those rims are as wide as the tyres and I did learn it the hard way thankfully the curb in question also gave in a little so it was just a superficial scratch.

24 minutes ago, iRage said:

What are these custom carpets you two keep talking about ?

These are advertised heavily on ik**n and I thought it was a pragmatic solution to coherent laziness to reach every nook and cranny. Your point about mould is very valid I think, maybe it makes sense to remove them during the service but I don't know how well those puppies would hold up to the abuse by our friendly neighborhood service mallis every quarter or so.

33 minutes ago, iRage said:

My Fortuner in Hanoi came with a carpet that pretty much covered the entire factory carpeting and it started to mold underneath....

For Fortuner does the mats come like this? Just the mat is rubber right? Under the mat its fabric, correct?

2013-2016-toyota-4runner-rubber-floor-mats-all-weather-black-4-piece-set-genuine-toyota-pt908-89160-02-8.jpg

12 hours ago, misnad said:

I should’ve gone for the custom carpets as the 3M ones I bought for 22k just keep slipping around over time. K***n P**k quoted 38k for the custom K-Mat carpet! Also considering AlloyGators to protect the rims as I seem to end up too close to the curb with the traffic down my usual route.

Got the carpets from A*p**o, made templates out of old news papers.

Half a day DIY cost less than Rs. 8K for an SUV

They had a nice coffee brown to match my interior (multiple colors available)

12 hours ago, misnad said:

Also considering AlloyGators to protect the rims as I seem to end up too close to the curb with the traffic down my usual route.

Where do you get AlloyGators in Sri Lanka?

BTW I too ended up getting a Tech Package in Polished Metal. Hoping to bring her home next week.

1 hour ago, RWD said:

Where do you get AlloyGators in Sri Lanka?

BTW I too ended up getting a Tech Package in Polished Metal. Hoping to bring her home next week.

It’s at the folks who do Meguiar’s is SL.. near Kirimandala Mw. There’s a Type R that keeps frequenting the place and boy, that is something else.

On 6/14/2018 at 12:20 AM, misnad said:

IConclusion: I am happy with my purchase and feel it has grown on me within this short duration. I have heard only good things about this car from my other friends apart from the initial fuel economy and am on par with that. The LED headlights are certainly worth the upgrade as they offer much better visibility and make the car look meaner. In short, even though I've posted most of the negatives (I don't like sugar-coating reviews), I just love my car and know it will serve me well in the years ahead.

Kudos on a nice and very balanced review. Have you been able to take her outstations - specifically with poor roads? How has that experience been? 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, matroska said:

Kudos on a nice and very balanced review. Have you been able to take her outstations - specifically with poor roads? How has that experience been? 

Glad you liked it. The furthest I’ve taken her was Wennappuwa via the Expressway although I did end up in quite a few tiny, twisty by-roads. It’s a dream on the Expressway especially with the Adaptive Cruise Control with Low Speed Follow and Lane Keep Assist. Could never take the hands off the wheel and the car was intelligent enough to detect me losing contact with it. After a few seconds, the car started beeping so that was a good test. Loved how it auto-steered to keep within the lane though! As for the tiny roads, the suspension kept up quite well and I found it easier to maneuver. Didn’t feel the pot holes and bumpiness (Dynamic Dampening off) unlike my former Axio. Quite surprisingly, even though this car is lower, it never scrapes the bottom in areas that the Axio did. All in all, for the whole journey, I got up to 18kmpl in economy and this was with Econ switched off. Oh and I did use the paddle shifters for some spirited driving and boy, I wasn’t disappointed; the 3 cylinder does keep up quite well.

Definitely going to invest in some mud flaps next as it does kick up a lot of mud. Right after that will be AlloyGators and I’ll probably get a silver or light grey one to match the body color (somewhat).

• Like 1

So I finally picked up my brand new Honda Civic EX Tech Pack in Polished Metal Mettalic over the weekend. As the plates were not ready yet did not get the chance to drive it too much. But first impressions are very good. The 1.0 3 pot is very responsive. As it's still the break in period I was feathering the throttle but early indicators are that this little turbo and the gravelly note is going to be a fun ride. CVT is very smooth, but I guess it would have been nicer to have had the dual clutch setup from the Vezel. Perhaps Honda felt that the CVT box would be more robust since the Civic is a world car.  Also the steering is too light and not as good as my 2014 Mazda3, but seems to wake up at higher speeds. Need to take it out of town to see really how it holds up. Ground clearance seems a bit low so I was careful getting into and out of sloped places. I actually preferred to the suspension when it's set to Dynamic Instead of comfort. The ride felt a bit floaty on comfort settings but I was driving on relatively smoother roads.

Love all the bells and whistles especially the Honda safety kit. Superb low driving position which makes you feel like you are in a proper sports car. My kids love the sunroof and leather seats and there is plenty of space at the back for car seats and for adults to strap them in and out. Massive luggage space too.

The 11 speaker "premium" audio doesn't feel premium at all, and lacks bass. The infotainment system seems needlessly complicated but I guess with time I'll get used to it. Can someone suggest how to enable android auto on it? I know the service is not available in SL but seen a few cars on the road using google maps etc

All in all, very impressed with the car so far. Its certainly good value for money in today's unregistered context.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, RWD said:

So I finally picked up my brand new Honda Civic EX Tech Pack in Polished Metal Mettalic over the weekend. As the plates were not ready yet did not get the chance to drive it too much. But first impressions are very good. The 1.0 3 pot is very responsive. As it's still the break in period I was feathering the throttle but early indicators are that this little turbo and the gravelly note is going to be a fun ride. CVT is very smooth, but I guess it would have been nicer to have had the dual clutch setup from the Vezel. Perhaps Honda felt that the CVT box would be more robust since the Civic is a world car.  Also the steering is too light and not as good as my 2014 Mazda3, but seems to wake up at higher speeds. Need to take it out of town to see really how it holds up. Ground clearance seems a bit low so I was careful getting into and out of sloped places. I actually preferred to the suspension when it's set to Dynamic Instead of comfort. The ride felt a bit floaty on comfort settings but I was driving on relatively smoother roads.

Love all the bells and whistles especially the Honda safety kit. Superb low driving position which makes you feel like you are in a proper sports car. My kids love the sunroof and leather seats and there is plenty of space at the back for car seats and for adults to strap them in and out. Massive luggage space too.

The 11 speaker "premium" audio doesn't feel premium at all, and lacks bass. The infotainment system seems needlessly complicated but I guess with time I'll get used to it. Can someone suggest how to enable android auto on it? I know the service is not available in SL but seen a few cars on the road using google maps etc

All in all, very impressed with the car so far. Its certainly good value for money in today's unregistered context.

Regarding the Android auto, you can search on Google for Android Auto apk and download (Otherwise PM me and I will send)

Install it on your mobile and connect the phone to your car using a USB cable.Car will automatically recognize it.

You can use Google maps, your phone, Music...etc

Enjoy!

On 8/14/2018 at 1:59 PM, RWD said:

Boys

In the process of getting a Civic EX- should take delivery by the next week.

Quick question- I am going to be overseas for 6-8 weeks from mid September and the car will be parked at my home and not driven. What precautions do you guys take when leaving your cars unused for a while? I can get someone to start it up a few times a week but not possible to take it for a spin. I was thinking of disconnecting the negative terminal in the battery, filling up the tank to the full, inflating tyres to recommended pressure and giving it a good wax before I leave. Any other tips for storage, especially since its a brand new car?

Hand the car over to me for the time being ???

Won't be an issue. 

If you can ask someone else to drive the car few miles once a week. 

If it's not possible, pit the car to Park position, disengage any parking brakes. අඩ 2ක් තියන්න. 

On ‎8‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:17 PM, Hungry_Minder said:

Regarding the Android auto, you can search on Google for Android Auto apk and download (Otherwise PM me and I will send)

Install it on your mobile and connect the phone to your car using a USB cable.Car will automatically recognize it.

You can use Google maps, your phone, Music...etc

Enjoy!

You've got PM mate.

So I had my first repair on the Civic at the dealership today. The undercarriage near the front bumper landed into a shallow trench unfortunately and given the car is already quite low, it made quite a noise. There is an “air spoiler” made of rubber underneath the bumper (attached to it) and that had come off with the clips. Surprisingly, I only noticed it today after running up and down the highway for a few days so I’m glad it actually held its own. The part cost 6k and was simply replaced - no other damages or scratches underneath (phew!).

Interestingly, this part is relatively inexpensive at Honda SL compared to some simpler parts like rubber beadings, etc. at Toyota. I was always told that Honda parts cost more before buying the vehicle.

Lesson learnt and hope nobody else makes the mistake of running too fast into a trench regardless of how shallow it may seem or a bump. This rubber spoiler is merely attached using clips that can easily break if you knock the undercarriage.

13 hours ago, misnad said:

So I had my first repair on the Civic at the dealership today. The undercarriage near the front bumper landed into a shallow trench unfortunately and given the car is already quite low, it made quite a noise. There is an “air spoiler” made of rubber underneath the bumper (attached to it) and that had come off with the clips. Surprisingly, I only noticed it today after running up and down the highway for a few days so I’m glad it actually held its own. The part cost 6k and was simply replaced - no other damages or scratches underneath (phew!).

Interestingly, this part is relatively inexpensive at Honda SL compared to some simpler parts like rubber beadings, etc. at Toyota. I was always told that Honda parts cost more before buying the vehicle.

Lesson learnt and hope nobody else makes the mistake of running too fast into a trench regardless of how shallow it may seem or a bump. This rubber spoiler is merely attached using clips that can easily break if you knock the undercarriage.

the low ground clearance of this car is what put me off from buying it for so long but I finally bit the bullet and thought I could live with it. Not at all confident about entering and exiting steep underground carparks yet. I find myself using my Vezel a lot more.

BTW the next time you are coming to the Megs place at Kirimandala Mawatha let me know. Would be nice to catch up with a knowledgeable Tech Pack owner so I can get better acquainted with the car

1 hour ago, RWD said:

the low ground clearance of this car is what put me off from buying it for so long but I finally bit the bullet and thought I could live with it. Not at all confident about entering and exiting steep underground carparks yet. I find myself using my Vezel a lot more.

BTW the next time you are coming to the Megs place at Kirimandala Mawatha let me know. Would be nice to catch up with a knowledgeable Tech Pack owner so I can get better acquainted with the car

Hey Guys ,

Do you all have experience with this place ? Are they using authentic Meguiar's products ? 

1 hour ago, RWD said:

In all fairness, my previous Axio would’ve slammed into the trench too, however I don’t think it would have this rubber lining ripping off - doubt it had one in the first place. Still, it’s a good car and slopes, etc. have to be taken cautiously.

I’m heading to Megs this coming Saturday as the car needs a proper cleansing - layers of salt and dust after several drives down south earlier this week!

1 hour ago, misnad said:

In all fairness, my previous Axio would’ve slammed into the trench too, however I don’t think it would have this rubber lining ripping off - doubt it had one in the first place. Still, it’s a good car and slopes, etc. have to be taken cautiously.

I’m heading to Megs this coming Saturday as the car needs a proper cleansing - layers of salt and dust after several drives down south earlier this week!

Sounds good mate. I live around the area so will be dropping in around 9 ish there for a wash. Mine's the Mettalic Grey Tech package. See you there.