• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda CR-V 2018

hasmax

Dear All,

I have thought of getting a Honda CR-V 2017/2018 7 seater 1.5L version. I went through some reviews but most were standard descriptions of features, etc. But I am in need of a more customized opinion considering SL context.

My concerns are;

1. General reliability of the vehicle. This is the model built for australian market and will be imported from there. 

2. Resale value in 3-5 years. Most told me that this model is not moving well in SL and it will become a "sadahatama oba mage" when I want to sell it. I would love to hear from those who owned CRV and have sold it and from the experts who analyase those market trends well.

3. Fuel consumption. I am not expecting miracles here. But want to know the approximate figures from current owners.

I plan to import this by a permit and cost would be around 6M. I am thinking of CRV because of its range of options coming standard and being a 7 seater.

So  considering all the facts please tell me whether it is a YES or NO to get this vehicle.

Thanks in advance and all your kind views are highly appreciated. Have a good day.

IMG-aaa5afd8aa2dc51b202d1eb1bef5fbad-V.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nirosha said:

Seating capacity for CR-V is 5 and the BR-V is the 7 seater model. Also BR-V is ~7M as per the Stafford Motors.

No...the CR-V has a 7-seater variant just like the BRV. Also, you seem to be suggesting that the BR-V is a larger SUV, which is not the case. I checked the specs of the BR-V and it is narrower and shorter than the CR-V...although the BR-V has a 7 seater variant it..well..I wont be surprised if it sucks. the CR-V has barely sufficient room for the 3rd row of seats...the BR-V would be even worst since it is smaller and has less interior volume.

17 minutes ago, iRage said:

No...the CR-V has a 7-seater variant just like the BRV. Also, you seem to be suggesting that the BR-V is a larger SUV, which is not the case. I checked the specs of the BR-V and it is narrower and shorter than the CR-V...although the BR-V has a 7 seater variant it..well..I wont be surprised if it sucks. the CR-V has barely sufficient room for the 3rd row of seats...the BR-V would be even worst since it is smaller and has less interior volume.

Thanks. Never knew that there is a 7 seater CR-V. The Stafford Guy told me CR-V is 5 seater and the BR-V is 7 seater and the prices. I didn't go for details as I wasn't interested in it. Also since the BR-V is much cheaper it is way behind the CR-V for sure.

1 hour ago, Nirosha said:

Thanks. Never knew that there is a 7 seater CR-V. The Stafford Guy told me CR-V is 5 seater and the BR-V is 7 seater and the prices. I didn't go for details as I wasn't interested in it. Also since the BR-V is much cheaper it is way behind the CR-V for sure.

It could be that the 7 seater variant is not offered in certain markets. The Japanese market will not get the 7 seater (for now) apparently. Whilst most SEA countries have it...and so does Pakistan.

The BR-V was designed specifically for "developing/emerging" country markets...so yes...it does lack a bit of refinement.

On 3/3/2018 at 5:56 PM, iRage said:

It could be that the 7 seater variant is not offered in certain markets. The Japanese market will not get the 7 seater (for now) apparently. Whilst most SEA countries have it...and so does Pakistan.

The BR-V was designed specifically for "developing/emerging" country markets...so yes...it does lack a bit of refinement.

7 seat is not offered by the local agent, only option is to get one from Australia from where most of the car sales people import them.

Middle row of the 7 seat is different and is supposed to be not comfortable as the 5 seat, 3 rd row may not be that comfortable or spacious.

9 hours ago, kush said:

7 seat is not offered by the local agent, only option is to get one from Australia from where most of the car sales people import them.

Middle row of the 7 seat is different and is supposed to be not comfortable as the 5 seat, 3 rd row may not be that comfortable or spacious.

I checked it out in Vietnam....so no idea what is offered in Sri Lanka. The middle seat itself seemed to be the same (atleast I didn't see any difference design wise)...but what was noticeable was that it didn't slide back and recline as much as the 5 seater rear seat and had lesser leg room. The 3rd row of seats sucked. I could not sit in it my 6 yr old sat in it quite okay but complained about 5 minutes in to a test drive saying he couldn't move and was bored.

Edited by iRage

If you want a review of an australian market car checkout cartelltv. Yes it shows more skin than substance.

Honda has tried to jam in anther pair of seats to a 5seater without actually producing an suv which is large enough to be a 7seater like the previous crossroad.

The leg rooms seems to be useless it seems that the designer was a bilateral leg amputee.

Its like trying to put a raw of seats into a sportage than going for a sorento.

While on that topic its better to go for a proper 7seater like the sorento or santafe or buy the 5seater of the crv

You can get the AWD in the top of the range variant LX, but it only comes in 5 seater option.  To be honest 7 seater is not practical for day to day use and becouse of the middle row seats sits on railing for it to slide you loos quet  a bit of head room. I Have already brought one it' on the way from Australia. I'm currently  using a 2003 Honda crv RD5 and it's"'  Been a good servent  to me for last 5 years. It's too early  to speculate  about the reliability etc but with Honda''''a past reputation  it' should be OK.  Fingers cross?

IMG-2b91b8e9f227508fd50187ba383fe539-V.jpg

IMG-5062119c52cfcae4fce8700868ff0580-V.jpg

On 3/3/2018 at 5:16 PM, hasmax said:

Dear All,

I have thought of getting a Honda CR-V 2017/2018 7 seater 1.5L version. I went through some reviews but most were standard descriptions of features, etc. But I am in need of a more customized opinion considering SL context.

My concerns are;

1. General reliability of the vehicle. This is the model built for australian market and will be imported from there. 

2. Resale value in 3-5 years. Most told me that this model is not moving well in SL and it will become a "sadahatama oba mage" when I want to sell it. I would love to hear from those who owned CRV and have sold it and from the experts who analyase those market trends well.

3. Fuel consumption. I am not expecting miracles here. But want to know the approximate figures from current owners.

I plan to import this by a permit and cost would be around 6M. I am thinking of CRV because of its range of options coming standard and being a 7 seater.

So  considering all the facts please tell me whether it is a YES or NO to get this vehicle.

Thanks in advance and all your kind views are highly appreciated. Have a good day.

IMG-aaa5afd8aa2dc51b202d1eb1bef5fbad-V.jpg

Hello Hasmax. I saw your post and as well as del1972 s post.The Honda CR-V is avaiable here in 7 seater form with the 1.5 litre turbo.One thing you can be not worried is that Australian spec vehicles are more suitable for Sri Lanka mainly because most of the country, the temprature goes to 45 degrees C in Summer.Thus climatisation of vehicles are more in line for Sri Lankan climate than UK where UK is more winter oriented weather.The recommended Petrol type if 95 Ron and above for Honda cars in adhering to ADR emission regualtions.You can check it out at  www.honda.com.au.

The Honda CR-V here is offered with 5 year warranty.But that would NOT be applicable to Sri Lanka Im sure.Further more there are other brands of 7 seater models available here as well.I do have connections in a way to one of the biggest Car dealership owning groups over here.They have been around for a long time.So apart from Honda(which also is a brand under them)they own Toyota,Holden,Mercedes,ISUZU Pickups & 7 seater and Heavy Trucks dealerships as well.All the best

Edited by Niresh

Stafford said they will give CRV VTi-Si model. which is fully loaded but no sensing that's still the vti-s with sunroof. I think their "i" stands for sunroof ;) 40,000km +/- 2 year warranty for 5.2mil for the permit. Waiting period is 3months. These Ausi models comes with 5year warranty so preferably the build quality is better i suppose. Better getting one from Ausi through a importer whose willing to give some kind of a warranty preferably the VTi -S model. 

• 2 months later...

I assume the VTi-S model from Australia does not come with a sunroof. The sunroof comes for the 7 seater L and LX models I believe.

del1972: Did you purchase the vehicle through a local dealer/importer? Was it brand new? How does it work with the buying process? I assume there's no auction/bidding process like in Japan involved. So just curios to know how one would know/see the real condition of the vehicle prior to purchasing.

21 hours ago, monty said:

I assume the VTi-S model from Australia does not come with a sunroof. The sunroof comes for the 7 seater L and LX models I believe.

del1972: Did you purchase the vehicle through a local dealer/importer? Was it brand new? How does it work with the buying process? I assume there's no auction/bidding process like in Japan involved. So just curios to know how one would know/see the real condition of the vehicle prior to purchasing.

Through local importer. I got the LX AWD witch is the  top of the range model in Australia. it comes with Honda sensing, adaptive cruse control, led head lights, moon roof electric seats, steering wheel paddle shifters. ( that's for changing gears in manual mode for people who doesn't know.) AWD only comes with the 5 seater model.  7 seater is two wheel drive. 7 seater looses bit of boot space and the middle row sits on railing so headroom is not that great if you are above 5'9''. back row hardly have enough leg room comparing likes of the KIA sorento seven seater.  computer says it does about 8 km/l out station ironically town running it sows around 10 km/l. Mine is  only done 3000km so its bit early to talk about reliability. but one thing i noticed comparing to my 15 year old RD5 Honda crv which i still have and love it. The built quality its not to previous model standard.  but its a Honda I'm sure it will hold up.Why people still thinks buying a car in Sri Lanka is a investment?  it Used to be, but there is so many options now to buy a vehicle. i don't thing buying a car now and five years down the line to  sell it for double the price. I don't think it works anymore. local importer did all the dirty work for me i just paid. so i wasn't involved  in the buying process from Australia. i don't intend to take my car to the dealers for the regular service instead spend that money and get good quality filters  oil  from independent  supplier and get my local garage to change while i watch them. Dealers use mineral oils to keep the cost down that's why they recommend oil change every 5000 km. if you are not bothered with the extra seats i would go for the AWD LX model with all the gadgets.    

crv front-1.jpg

20180412_081659 crv rear-1.jpg

Edited by del1972
  • Like 2

Im not a fan of honda but its nice to see the 2 sisters side by side.

Your policy regarding using original filters and servicing under direct suprvision of ourselves is my policy too.

Companies do mistakes like other services too. As long as you are watchie closely during the major proceedures they can be avoided 

• 4 months later...
On 3/8/2018 at 10:49 AM, esanda007 said:

Stafford said they will give CRV VTi-Si model. which is fully loaded but no sensing that's still the vti-s with sunroof. I think their "i" stands for sunroof ;) 40,000km +/- 2 year warranty for 5.2mil for the permit. Waiting period is 3months. These Ausi models comes with 5year warranty so preferably the build quality is better i suppose. Better getting one from Ausi through a importer whose willing to give some kind of a warranty preferably the VTi -S model. 

Out of my curiosity, could vehicles comes out from the same factory (Honda-Thailand)  have two levels of build quality depending on to the country it is exported? Is this a myth established by vehicle sellers?

Edited by vitz

I don't think Honda makes bad vehicles especially for Sri Lanka, our market size insignificant

It is all about specs, developed countries demand better safety where as Asians prefer bells and whistles and of cause lower prices

This is true even for Euros, they do not offer safety features especially autonomous driving, steering as they do not work properly in our road conditions and even be unsafe at times.

5 hours ago, rosh.sen said:

This issue is only happening in sub zero weather and only reported in cold  parts of China and US. Shouldnt be an issue for Sri Lanka

I think Honda just trying to hide the problem or trying to calm the wave. It is much safer if we keep eye on the oil level may be every weekend. 

CRV engine problems.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all

Does any body know how to work the foot activation of the boot . I have the AWD LX  version  imported from Australia.  It supposed to be the top spec in Australia so i assumed foot activation option  would have been standed.  Doesn't show anything in that regard on the display power boot settings.. Your help is much appreciated. ?

42 minutes ago, del1972 said:

Hi all

Does any body know how to work the foot activation of the boot . I have the AWD LX  version  imported from Australia.  It supposed to be the top spec in Australia so i assumed foot activation option  would have been standed.  Doesn't show anything in that regard on the display power boot settings.. Your help is much appreciated. ?

This option is available in Japanese model (Masterpiece ). Not in Australian models ,even in the VTI LX.

On 10/22/2018 at 8:18 PM, kmeeg said:

I think Honda just trying to hide the problem or trying to calm the wave. It is much safer if we keep eye on the oil level may be every weekend. 

I'm following this quite closely. As Honda says it is because the engine cooling system is too efficient and doesnt bring the engine temp up quickly. But doesn't seem to be a problem in our climate. But Honda has issued a software update if your vehicle is effected. Also the Ausie model seem to be quite robust because they don't have those closing vents infront of the radiator. That makes things simple

Edited by rosh.sen

On 11/11/2018 at 4:14 PM, del1972 said:

Thanks it's dissapointing to know Australian  models  don't get that option. ?

Yes but I guess Ausie model is the best climatised  model for Sri Lanka than the Japanese one. Some may argue that both come from the same factory in Thailand. But normally manufacturer changes specs slightly based on weather conditions in countries the vehicles are exported. 

• 5 years later...