• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Importing cars from Japan

Pranavan

HI, iam new to Cars and stuffs. I would like to know few things.

its seems very cheap by just importing cars from japan, like few thousand US $, i would like to know are there any charges in sri lanka if we import from japan? Ofcourse it is used car.

23 hours ago, Pranavan said:

its seems very cheap by just importing cars from japan, like few thousand US $, i would like to know are there any charges in sri lanka if we import from japan? Ofcourse it is used car.

I believe you are missing a lot here...

the prices of few thousands of US$ you see in Japan are the prices of the cars in Japan. But when you import it to SL..you have to pay a high amount of import taxes to the SL govt. That is where the price of the cars go up ! Also, you can only import cars that are 3 years old or less. Depending on the type of car the prices will go up.

You can import a car under your name, you just have to go to import control and get a permit under your name. As for clearing...you can clear it by yourself as well. Its just that if you don't know the process you will have to run back and forth a bit and you might have to grease a few palms o expedite the process. Thus, paying a bit of money for a clearing agent will make it easier for you.

2 hours ago, iRage said:

I believe you are missing a lot here...

the prices of few thousands of US$ you see in Japan are the prices of the cars in Japan. But when you import it to SL..you have to pay a high amount of import taxes to the SL govt. That is where the price of the cars go up ! Also, you can only import cars that are 3 years old or less. Depending on the type of car the prices will go up.

You can import a car under your name, you just have to go to import control and get a permit under your name. As for clearing...you can clear it by yourself as well. Its just that if you don't know the process you will have to run back and forth a bit and you might have to grease a few palms o expedite the process. Thus, paying a bit of money for a clearing agent will make it easier for you.

yep, as i said iam pretty noob. Saw a car coasts like 2.5K usd so it was why i got here, without know the processes :mellow::mellow:  Do you know any agents who does stuffs like this? any suggestions would be appreciated. :D My plan is to get something like a 240sx or similar rear wheel drive cars, Also turbo charging,Nitrogen Oxide are legal here? 

17 hours ago, Pranavan said:

yep, as i said iam pretty noob. Saw a car coasts like 2.5K usd so it was why i got here, without know the processes :mellow::mellow:  Do you know any agents who does stuffs like this? any suggestions would be appreciated. :D My plan is to get something like a 240sx or similar rear wheel drive cars, Also turbo charging,Nitrogen Oxide are legal here? 

Like I said...you can only import a car that is 3 years or NEWER....so yuor plan is not going to be feasible (unless you have really really deep pockets)

On 3/3/2018 at 3:38 PM, iRage said:

Like I said...you can only import a car that is 3 years or NEWER....so yuor plan is not going to be feasible (unless you have really really deep pockets)

ok thanks for the info! what about importing agents? do you know any good agents ? Do you know about NOS legal here? 

On 3/1/2018 at 9:05 PM, Pranavan said:

You must have a good knowledge about the prevailing Duty stricture of Sri Lanka before importing. For example current Duty  for a  Toyota Prius is around 9.5 million.

On 3/4/2018 at 6:18 PM, Pranavan said:

ok thanks for the info! what about importing agents? do you know any good agents ? Do you know about NOS legal here? 

No one can import a car older than 3 years, whether they are agents or importers or street corner mudalalis. There are some loopholes here and there but none of those are reliable. Nitrous Oxide is legal and is used during drag racing events by some competitors. 

On 3/8/2018 at 11:28 AM, Supra_Natural said:

No one can import a car older than 3 years, whether they are agents or importers or street corner mudalalis. There are some loopholes here and there but none of those are reliable. Nitrous Oxide is legal and is used during drag racing events by some competitors. 

THANKS for the info! Sadly we have odd regulations. anyways appreciate your info :)

On 3/8/2018 at 11:28 AM, Supra_Natural said:

my plan is to get like a Nissan or Toyota rear wheel drive car and modify it, Tuning to get more HP. So i wanted a 2 Door car with 4 seats if possible, thats when i found about importing cars. So do you have any recommendations mate about the idea i have? 

Edited by Pranavan

3 hours ago, Pranavan said:

my plan is to get like a Nissan or Toyota rear wheel drive car and modify it, Tuning to get more HP. So i wanted a 2 Door car with 4 seats if possible, thats when i found about importing cars. So do you have any recommendations mate about the idea i have? 

Well the only thing anyone can tell you is you can only import a car that is 3 years old or newer. You seem to want to get a sporty coupe' for cheap so were looking at old cars despite us telling you of the age restriction. So your idea is not going to work.

You will have to do what all the other kids in SL do...buy something like a Subaru or a Starlet and do a conversion (sorry...the local term seems to be "conversation"). Other than that you can get any other car and see what upgrades you can do...since you seem to have quite a few ideas on upgrading.

3 hours ago, Pranavan said:

Which idea? If it's the importing, I've already expressed my opinion above. If it's getting a car locally and modifying it, then there are quite a few options that you can find but the ideal car will take time and patience and keep in mind that local prices are high and such cars are on the rare side so you'll have to plan and budget accordingly. What sort of budget do you have in mind?

options off the top of my head that you can find in Sri Lanka which fit your criteria of 2 door, 4 seat and rear wheel drive with mod potential, of which there are currently examples for sale in SL at various price points:

Toyota KE25 2 Door

Toyota AE85 Levin/Trueno

Mazda RX7 FC/FD

Mazda RX8

Nissan 300ZX Z32

On 3/12/2018 at 11:14 AM, Supra_Natural said:

Which idea? If it's the importing, I've already expressed my opinion above. If it's getting a car locally and modifying it, then there are quite a few options that you can find but the ideal car will take time and patience and keep in mind that local prices are high and such cars are on the rare side so you'll have to plan and budget accordingly. What sort of budget do you have in mind?

options off the top of my head that you can find in Sri Lanka which fit your criteria of 2 door, 4 seat and rear wheel drive with mod potential, of which there are currently examples for sale in SL at various price points:

Toyota KE25 2 Door

Toyota AE85 Levin/Trueno

Mazda RX7 FC/FD

Mazda RX8

Nissan 300ZX Z32

Thanks you for your respond! as you said before there's no chance importing cars. So my plan is to get a cheap car from sri lanka. (if possible). Yes some cars are really overpriced in here. Rx8 costs 40 lacks and its rotary engine. I've searched for nissan 240sx but coudln't find any of them. Mostly i found was like lancers and corollas. 

On 3/12/2018 at 10:18 AM, iRage said:

Well the only thing anyone can tell you is you can only import a car that is 3 years old or newer. You seem to want to get a sporty coupe' for cheap so were looking at old cars despite us telling you of the age restriction. So your idea is not going to work.

You will have to do what all the other kids in SL do...buy something like a Subaru or a Starlet and do a conversion (sorry...the local term seems to be "conversation"). Other than that you can get any other car and see what upgrades you can do...since you seem to have quite a few ideas on upgrading.

i have no idea of importing cars since you guys mentioned about the regulations! :) Iam thinking like Buying a used car and modding it with turbo and cold air intake, also putting bigger tires. What do you think about that idea. :D appreciate your respond. :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Pranavan said:

i have no idea of importing cars since you guys mentioned about the regulations! :) Iam thinking like Buying a used car and modding it with turbo and cold air intake, also putting bigger tires. What do you think about that idea. :D appreciate your respond. :rolleyes:

Everything depends on what your budget is...there are plenty of things you can do to quite a few cars around town to improve performance and handling....again.depends on your budget.

I don't think you will find a GT86 shy of 6 or 7 million...at least that is what they used to be a few months back..no idea how much it is now.

On 3/14/2018 at 11:17 AM, iRage said:

Everything depends on what your budget is...there are plenty of things you can do to quite a few cars around town to improve performance and handling....again.depends on your budget.

I don't think you will find a GT86 shy of 6 or 7 million...at least that is what they used to be a few months back..no idea how much it is now.

i dont wanna spend like 6 or 7 million's thats why iam looking for cheaper lancer models. My budget for car is under 2 million and a million for modding. Seems low for modding but i could live with that since i wont be using it for alot time. Yes Gt86 is really expensive.

8 hours ago, Pranavan said:

i dont wanna spend like 6 or 7 million's thats why iam looking for cheaper lancer models. My budget for car is under 2 million and a million for modding. Seems low for modding but i could live with that since i wont be using it for alot time. Yes Gt86 is really expensive.

Well you have quite a few options for a base car for up to 2 mil  You can get anything as common as a base Starlet, to a Lancer..or you can be a bit different from the crowd and get even an Integra...or go with something like a Mark X or Cedric/Gloria. If you are on FB check the usual car groups...there are people who bring down stripped down parts for restorations and performance upgrades, you can get an idea of how much resto-modding the car would be from them.

As for your 1 mil buget for mods...well...what exactly are you expecting to do when you say "mod" it ? 

On 3/16/2018 at 5:02 AM, iRage said:

On 3/16/2018 at 5:02 AM, iRage said:

Well you have quite a few options for a base car for up to 2 mil  You can get anything as common as a base Starlet, to a Lancer..or you can be a bit different from the crowd and get even an Integra...or go with something like a Mark X or Cedric/Gloria. If you are on FB check the usual car groups...there are people who bring down stripped down parts for restorations and performance upgrades, you can get an idea of how much resto-modding the car would be from them.

As for your 1 mil buget for mods...well...what exactly are you expecting to do when you say "mod" it ? 

Image result for Integra

yes i would go with something like this.Cedric and integra both are looking great! thanks for the suggestions. By modding i mean , getting bigger tyres, getting a turbo,cold air intake, and a straight pipe if possible. might also get a Body kit and a paint.IAm interested getting art paint.  Am i out of the budget here? i have no idea about the prices for them.

6 minutes ago, Pranavan said:

yes i would go with something like this.Cedric and integra both are looking great! thanks for the suggestions. By modding i mean , getting bigger tyres, getting a turbo,cold air intake, and a straight pipe if possible. might also get a Body kit and a paint.IAm interested getting art paint.  Am i out of the budget here? i have no idea about the prices for them.

You might want to read the below thread since it looks like you have no clue about what kind of car you want or what mods you want to do on them. 

There is a lot of trolling and drama going on in that thread, so you might want to skip over those posts and stick to reading only the posts made by @kelum_wj

Good luck! 

6 hours ago, Pranavan said:

Well....first off all go through the thread Davy posted...come up with a proper idea of what you want to do. Then make a proper plan...in Sri Lanka things can get quite frustrating when trying to find parts and skilled labor...so you need to plan accordingly..and figure out how much you can actually spend.