• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Advice me on My First Car

Vihan

Question

Hi all. I am an final year engineering student from a state uni. and I have that love for cars. Purpose of buying a car is that I am conducting classes in weekends so I want to go there. My parents do not let me to buy a bike. By now I am riding my uncle's bike. So guys I need some help to buy a car. (Old one since still I am poor)

I have about 2 lakhs in my hand and I can go for a car priced 7 lakhs with leasing as well. Will u suggest me some models. I found one familia registered in 1993 (BG3P model) priced at 6.3 lakhs. But it has a duplicate CR. Only thing I want is to learn more mechanics inside the car and to experience driving. Please give ur valuable ideas. Thanks

U wont get 500k lease from a finance company if a car has a duplicate book. Simple as that.

Its a pitu because a BG3P is a car that can be highly recommended for newbie buyer.

I have some more suggestions. Try looking for a 19- Proton Wira or 17- Maruti Gypsy or Ford Laser BG3/5P. You will find those for that range.

Dont worry about spares 

• Like 1

A duplicate book will fetch much lower resale value. So it goes both ways, If the car is in good condition, you could use it as a bargaining point and get the car cheap. Also when selling, be prepared to sell below market rate.

Make sure the Duplicate was issued due to a genuine cause and not a fraud one. 

4 hours ago, Vihan said:

Yeah sure. Thanks. Any idea on second book?

Personally...considering the vintage of the vehicle you are looking at and the price you are able to get it at...I don't think you will loose that much by having a duplicate book as long as the car is in decent shape. If the duplicate book is legit, you are not going to get in any legal binds. The main concern people have with duplicate books is due to our crooked car sellers and an outdated registration system.

If you don't mind looking at cars a bit older...you can look in to Lancers, Sunny and Corollas from the mid to late 80s.

Edited by iRage

3 hours ago, JayZ said:

A duplicate book will fetch much lower resale value. So it goes both ways, If the car is in good condition, you could use it as a bargaining point and get the car cheap. Also when selling, be prepared to sell below market rate.

Make sure the Duplicate was issued due to a genuine cause and not a fraud one. 

Thanks. I am going to get a leasing. So the validity of the duplicate book will be solved since the leasing company will check that better than me. Am I right?

Edited by Vihan

1 hour ago, iRage said:

Personally...considering the vintage of the vehicle you are looking at and the price you are able to get it at...I don't think you will loose that much by having a duplicate book as long as the car is in decent shape. If the duplicate book is legit, you are not going to get in any legal binds. The main concern people have with duplicate books is due to our crooked car sellers and an outdated registration system.

If you don't mind looking at cars a bit older...you can look in to Lancers, Sunny and Corollas from the mid to late 80s.

Thanks. I loved those older cars as well. But now I am more into a early 90's car

Edited by Vihan

16 minutes ago, Vihan said:

Thanks. I am going to get a leasing. So the validity of the duplicate book will be solved since the leasing company will check that better than me. Am I right?

In that case, they probably would check the authenticity of the book. But please check with the Leasing company first.

50 minutes ago, Vihan said:

Once I heard leasing companies giving around 60% of lease for a duplicate book. Check it also.

1 hour ago, Vihan said:

Guys. Do u have any more suggestions. 7 lakhs. Early 90's car. Since still I am not decided to buy that mazda. 

Check the car's conditions,oil leaks, number of Kms driven, interior, exterior , corrosion & old repairs to the  body etc,

14 minutes ago, Crosswind said:

U wont get 500k lease from a finance company if a car has a duplicate book. Simple as that.

Its a pitu because a BG3P is a car that can be highly recommended for newbie buyer.

I have some more suggestions. Try looking for a 19- Proton Wira or 17- Maruti Gypsy or Ford Laser BG3/5P. You will find those for that range.

Dont worry about spares 

Thanks crosswind. Now I am forcusing on ford laser.

Few more suggestions :

Hyundai Excel 

Daewoo Matiz, Racer

Opel Astra 

However I can't vouch for spares availability or maintenability. 

Another option is the Maruti 800 of the same era If you're ok with it- probably the easiest to maintain of the lot 

Edited by matroska

11 hours ago, matroska said:

Few more suggestions :

Hyundai Excel 

Daewoo Matiz, Racer

Opel Astra 

However I can't vouch for spares availability or maintenability. 

Another option is the Maruti 800 of the same era If you're ok with it- probably the easiest to maintain of the lot 

Thanks. But I am more interested with Japanese machines.

On 2/28/2018 at 9:13 PM, Rohnd said:

Check the car's conditions,oil leaks, number of Kms driven, interior, exterior , corrosion & old repairs to the  body etc,

In Sri Lanka this really doesn't make any sense. Don't put much stock in to what the odometer says, unless it has some sort of verification method like agent's service records, etc...(don't go by service station records either because I have seen people get those written up). Most of the time people tamper with the mileage of their cars. A lot of people believe that one can look at the wear and tear of the car and compare it against the mileage driven to see if things are as its supposed to be or if the condition is good. This does not necessarily work-out that well. There are plenty of cars that have done 120K++kms that have better interiors and exteriors than some cars that have done less than 60K. 

Also, in Sri Lanka people believe anything over 100K is bad and will break...again..not the case...if it has been properly cared for 100K is nearly nothing for a car. Granted, at regular intervals pre-emptive maintenance needs to be carried out which may include some tedious service items at around 100K. Which is not something you should be afraid of. In fact you can use it as a bargaining point if the car is good.

29 minutes ago, iRage said:

In Sri Lanka this really doesn't make any sense. Don't put much stock in to what the odometer says, unless it has some sort of verification method like agent's service records, etc...(don't go by service station records either because I have seen people get those written up). Most of the time people tamper with the mileage of their cars. A lot of people believe that one can look at the wear and tear of the car and compare it against the mileage driven to see if things are as its supposed to be or if the condition is good. This does not necessarily work-out that well. There are plenty of cars that have done 120K++kms that have better interiors and exteriors than some cars that have done less than 60K. 

Also, in Sri Lanka people believe anything over 100K is bad and will break...again..not the case...if it has been properly cared for 100K is nearly nothing for a car. Granted, at regular intervals pre-emptive maintenance needs to be carried out which may include some tedious service items at around 100K. Which is not something you should be afraid of. In fact you can use it as a bargaining point if the car is good.

Thanks iRage. I found a ford laser 1992 with faded paint. I like to learn and do stuff my self. Will it be possible to paint that car myself?

• Like 1

On 3/1/2018 at 9:03 AM, Vihan said:

Thanks. But I am more interested with Japanese machines.

But, with your financial condition machan it is not wise to go after Japanese cars. IMHO you should look for Indian Maruti or Alto for the time being. Be wary of the Rusting in Indian models.

19 hours ago, iRage said:

There is absolutely no use in checking the Odo's in Sri Lankan vehicles. After all the Odos' are preset in Japan before been sent. It is better to check the break pad rather than checking the Odo. 

1 hour ago, BuBi said:

There is absolutely no use in checking the Odo's in Sri Lankan vehicles. After all the Odos' are preset in Japan before been sent. It is better to check the break pad rather than checking the Odo. 

Say what ? 

Well...cars that are brought down by legitimate importers do not reset the odo meter. As for the suspiscious ones...well..they will change it to whatever, whenever :)

4 minutes ago, iRage said:

Say what ? 

Well...cars that are brought down by legitimate importers do not reset the odo meter. As for the suspiscious ones...well..they will change it to whatever, whenever :)

AFAIK macho.. every car sales guy is doing this thing. After all we are at their mercy when we import cars from Japan. However, this won't happen if you purchase a vehicle from the authorized dealer in Sri Lanka. But, then you won't get the JDM version.