• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Guide on Buying Mitsubishi Verada

Shan30lk

received_1708236015900033.thumb.jpeg.d58d27a745bb5a3f309a5bdb95026120.jpegHi I am currently thinking about buying a Mitsubishi Verada 2002 car. Is there anyone who knows about this vehicle? I want to know followings. It has a 3500cc engine

a.  How is the fuel consumption?

b.  any known issues with the engine?

c.  How is driving experience?

d. Spareparts availability and cost.

e. Any genuine advices are welcome

Thank you dear expertsreceived_1708236015900033.thumb.jpeg.d58d27a745bb5a3f309a5bdb95026120.jpeg

received_1708236159233352.jpeg

received_1708236185900016.jpeg

Edited by Shan30lk
correction

Hi I am currently thinking about buying a Mitsubishi Verada 2002 car. Is there anyone who knows about this vehicle? I want to know followings. It has a 3500cc engine

a.  How is the fuel consumption?

b.  any known issues with the engine?

c.  How is driving experience?

d. Spareparts availability and cost.

e. Any genuine advices are welcome

Thank you dear experts

received_1708236015900033.jpeg

received_1708236159233352.jpeg

received_1708236185900016.jpeg

I drove a Magna in Australia (in 2014) for a while which is the same thing as the Verada. It's a pretty common car in Australia, and despite old cars being wrecked after a certain age, you can still see quite a few Magnas on the road. So in my (very short) experience:

a. Fuel consumption was around 8 km/L on average. You'd be lucky to get that in Sri Lanka though. I used 95 octane. 

b. It has the same 6G74 engine that some of the Monteros in Sri Lanka have. Pretty reliable IMO. If the car is an automatic, you'd better look into the transmission to see if there are issues with shifting. I am aware that early Magnas of this series in Australia developed an issue where the gear falls into neutral on load. The one I drove had 320,000 km on the clock and was still going strong despite years of abuse.

c. Pretty good drive. Very comfortable and handles well for a full sized sedan. The Galant of this era comes quite close to how the Verada handles, but the higher power of that 3.5L V6 engine on the Verada is quite distinctive. From the photos you've shared, it looks like it's a limited edition GTV which has some of the suspension and drivetrain components of the Magna VR-X - the "fully loaded" version here in Australia and is only second to the sportier Magna RalliArt which features a bodykit, bigger wheels and a tuned engine with bigger cams and so on.

d. It's a rare car in Sri Lanka, so you'd have trouble fining body panels, exterior and interior trim bits and so on (explains the broken AC vents and dashboard components in the last photo). As for mechanicals, some components are compatible with other Mitsubishis (The Montero as mentioned above), so you should be able to source them with less effort.  You should be able to find parts on eBay Australia as well.

e. It's a great car and I loved while I used it. However, in Sri Lanka where the car is a lot less common, you'd have to invest a bit of your time and effort (not to mention money) to keep the car running smooth. Also, if you're worried about fuel efficiency, I'm afraid the car will disappoint you because it's never going to give you Maruti-like fuel economy. 

Hope this helps. Members who have experience with the car in a local context might be able to shed some light on how these cars are doing in Sri Lanka.

Edited by Davy
Corrected typo
  • Thanks 1

Thank you very much Mr. Davy. I am gettings this car for about Rs 1.4 Million total price from a leasing company yard.. So I am thinking of buying and selling the car later. But as of the mind set of our people( including my self), I think it will be difficult to sell easily. Even seeing 3500cc will make us look away. 

But I was little excited after reading reviews of this car in websites in Australia.. 

If there is anyone who has used this vehicle in Sri Lanka, Please advice me.

My main concern is resale value and common problems of the vehicle, if there is any

Edited by Shan30lk
correction

9 hours ago, Shan30lk said:

Thank you very much Mr. Davy. I am gettings this car for about Rs 1.4 Million total price from a leasing company yard.. So I am thinking of buying and selling the car later. But as of the mind set of our people( including my self), I think it will be difficult to sell easily. Even seeing 3500cc will make us look away. 

But I was little excited after reading reviews of this car in websites in Australia.. 

My main concern is resale value and common problems of the vehicle, if there is any

What you really need to understand is if this car has been seized due to non-payment of the lease, then did the previous owner have money to maintain the car? Buying a Maruti or a Corolla from a leasing yard is probably ok. Even if it was not maintained by the previous owner, you will be able to resurrect it. But a luxury car?

• Like 1

On 2/27/2018 at 4:48 PM, Shan30lk said:

This is a common model here in NZ and most of them off the road and very easy to find them on every junk yard, sure that will explain lot to you.

• Thanks 1

Magna, Verada, Diamante are the same car. Made in Adelaide, Australia.

Magna was for Auz/NZ market. Verada was exported to the Asian market and Diamante was exported to Japanese market. Most Veradas in SL were Singapore used.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Thanks 1

Interesting to note that this car 's production stopped in 2005 and  factory closed  a few years later.  :o

knowing our wise grease monkeys,. this car will end up with a diesel engine and a manual gear box.

Edited by Twin Turbo
  • Thanks 1

On 2/27/2018 at 9:18 AM, Shan30lk said:

If you are thinking of resale forget it

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

Interesting to note that this car 's production stopped in 2005 and  factory closed  a few years later.  :o

knowing our wise grease monkeys,. this car will end up with a diesel engine and a manual gear box.

I was about to mention how it would be advertised as a 3c converted very economical car mentioning figure around 14kmpl.

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, nagaya said:

Did you end up with buying this ? :D can you share the experience with us :D There are very limited number of Veradas here and should have been imported from Australia.

You've replied to a duplicate thread. I've merged it with the original thread.