• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Airbag Light Bypass by resistor Nissan Serena 2006

pontiac_gto

Question

Hi Guys, Recently bought 2006 nissan serena with blinking airbag light. When I get it to diagnostic mode by switching ignition on and off, light blinks one long and two short. After spending hours on internet figured out issue with driver side airbag (Not sure though). Does anyone know how to switch off the light by inserting resistor instead of airbag module. I only need to switch off the light. Don't care safety concerns. Hope you guys could help. Thanks and Regards

11 answers to this question

On 2/26/2018 at 4:02 PM, pontiac_gto said:

Hi Guys, Recently bought 2006 nissan serena with blinking airbag light. When I get it to diagnostic mode by switching ignition on and off, light blinks one long and two short. After spending hours on internet figured out issue with driver side airbag (Not sure though). Does anyone know how to switch off the light by inserting resistor instead of airbag module. I only need to switch off the light. Don't care safety concerns. Hope you guys could help. Thanks and Regards

Finally I have managed to get my purpose done with the help of couple of nice guys from one of foreign forums. I'll post the progress if someone need same diy someday (not recommended for daily drive btw). Anyway my torx 50 is not hard enough to remove steering module. So managed to buy new tool for cheap (around 200lkr) from recycle shop. But the screws were too tight.  i didnt want to mess up with those screws. I gave up removing module and moved to second option. Removed the dash and cluster unit by less than 5 mins. Then dissembled the cluster and put electrical tape on air bag lamp hole. plugged the unit and installed the dash. Everything works perfectly except that annoying light. No blinking lights anymore. B)

Okay...jokes aside....if there is an error with airbag system..get it fixed ! If your vehicle is throwing an error ...get it looked in to and get  it properly fixed !!! Especially when the error involves a component that involves the vehicle's safety. No one on AL would ever (or as responsible petrol-heads should never) condone this sort of action. 

Even if it is just the light that is giving trouble...go get it properly sorted out..don't resort to any short cuts.

But at the end of the day..its your car, your money and your life. When you are reselling it just be decent and tell the new buyer what you did with the airbags.

Edited by iRage
  • Like 1

Spends money on tools to do the wrong thing... Can't spend money on something that your life might depend on. Go figure! 

You know for the sake of whoever steps onto that car, I hope you won't have to come across a day when you'd regret your decision.

As for tight torx screws on steering wheels, pretty normal for them to be tight. But if you have the correct socket and an extension and 90 degree handle, all you need is a bit if brute force to remove them. 

Agreed. Dealer quoted me near 1lak in lkr to diagnose and replace whole airbag system. I bought this car for less than 1lak lkr. I drive this car only single day per week and less than 30km per whole week. Probably will go to dismantling when inspection expires after few months. So I dont want to spend money on this. I know no matter 1km or 40km anything can be happened. But i dont trust the function of airbags at all even in new cars. specially from auctions. 

53 minutes ago, pontiac_gto said:

Agreed. Dealer quoted me near 1lak in lkr to diagnose and replace whole airbag system. I bought this car for less than 1lak lkr. I drive this car only single day per week and less than 30km per whole week. Probably will go to dismantling when inspection expires after few months. So I dont want to spend money on this. I know no matter 1km or 40km anything can be happened. But i dont trust the function of airbags at all even in new cars. specially from auctions. 

Seriously dude? A car with an air-bag sold for less than a lakh of LKR?

Edited by gNaveendra
typo fixed

47 minutes ago, pontiac_gto said:

Have you looked in to a bakki karatte ? If the cost of the car is less than the cost of the repair....throw away the car and buy another cheap car..perhaps one that doesn't have all the fancy stuff that you can mess up. I have a friend from college who was messing around with the steering wheel to get a remote control unit for his fancy new stereo installed. The damn airbag blew up on his face and he got a severe cut on his lip, busted his nose and got both eyes bruised. The guy looked like a bleeding panda. 17 years later we still call the guy Blow-Face.

4 hours ago, pontiac_gto said:

Finally I have managed to get my purpose done with the help of couple of nice guys from one of foreign forums. I'll post the progress if someone need same diy someday (not recommended for daily drive btw). Anyway my torx 50 is not hard enough to remove steering module. So managed to buy new tool for cheap (around 200lkr) from recycle shop. But the screws were too tight.  i didnt want to mess up with those screws. I gave up removing module and moved to second option. Removed the dash and cluster unit by less than 5 mins. Then dissembled the cluster and put electrical tape on air bag lamp hole. plugged the unit and installed the dash. Everything works perfectly except that annoying light. No blinking lights anymore. B)

Anyone seriously reading this thread please note that ^^this^^ is what you are not supposed to do if you value the life of your passengers or your own. 

5 minutes ago, iRage said:

Have you looked in to a bakki karatte ? If the cost of the car is less than the cost of the repair....throw away the car and buy another cheap car..perhaps one that doesn't have all the fancy stuff that you can mess up. I have a friend from college who was messing around with the steering wheel to get a remote control unit for his fancy new stereo installed. The damn airbag blew up on his face and he got a severe cut on his lip, busted his nose and got both eyes bruised. The guy looked like a bleeding panda. 17 years later we still call the guy Blow-Face.

Anyone seriously reading this thread please note that ^^this^^ is what you are not supposed to do if you value the life of your passengers or your own.

Well Said!

Edited by gNaveendra