• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Stuck with Gen1 Kia Sportage

john cooper

Hi all,

I need help form all of you guys, bought the 97 Kia Sportage (Gen1) with the MAZDA FE3 engine (dual cam), original intention to make this as my off road replacement but plans gone to custard as it's start developing an engine miss.

This is fitted with a factory immobilizer and i have replaced the battery as i was not able to by pass the immobilizer because numbers faded on the key fob (manual shows how to bypass if i had the S/N) next day after change the battery car wasn't starting so i left it for few days and started all of a sudden.

then onward it was showing the signs of engine miss and engine light indicates.

What i have done, One of my mate got a Launch scanner and i got the Kia plug (guess odb1) and try scan the fault but it wasn't showing the fault correctly but seems to me t's identify the car.

Done bit of a readings and i have decided to replace the Cam sensor as the most of the symptoms equal to mine (power lagging, unburn fuel smell, poor gas mileage, check engine light)

So replaced the cam sensor but still no luck as the light still indicate (since i have no way to clear the fault, taken off the terminal for about 15min)

sick and tired with the car i paid $1400 so if it's not resolved i will send this to wreckers as it's taking space and it's pain in the back BUT if any one of you would be able to give me and indication of what else for me to check??????

regards

JC

Just an update, i have done bit of DIY for Sport"age" at the weekend.

Cleaned the Air flow sensor with cleaning spray - it is surprisingly change the power loss and engine cut around 2-3k RPM but still rough idle and worse on fuel.

Now 2 suspects - TPS or Air flow sensor (BOSCH made) 

I have done few test runs over the free way at 100km and drive without any issue, but when i stop at a light signal engine stall and cuts off if i didn't press the throttle.

any thoughts??????

regards,

JC

7 hours ago, Rumesh88 said:

How about your IACV?

As Rumesh mentioned, most probably it can be faulty idle control valve. Why don't you take it to a professional ?

Following threads may be helpful

https://itstillruns.com/kia-sportage-idle-problem-symptoms-8054400.html

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/2002-kia-sportage-engine-27270893

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/kia-sportage-1999-kia-sportage-car-dies-when-brakes-are-pressed-amp-ta

12 hours ago, trish_auto said:

Good question, 

why don't i take it to a professional - paid only $1400, at least cost of fixing near the half of it.

6 hours ago, john cooper said:

Didn't check, will that turn the "check engine" as i got the light.

IACV can give you P0505 OBD code and turn the check engine light on but not always (perhaps the conditions to trigger the code may be a bit complex). If you are getting a fault code isn't it better to check first with a scanner?

9 hours ago, Rumesh88 said:

IACV can give you P0505 OBD code and turn the check engine light on but not always (perhaps the conditions to trigger the code may be a bit complex). If you are getting a fault code isn't it better to check first with a scanner?

I have checked with a scanner which normally work for all the model (Launch scanner) and i can see my car listed but it wont show any fault code under ECM. 

I even tried bridging the pins to get a check engine blink to convert but it won't give any blink. (may be i was bridging the wrong pins)

Over the weekend i had bit of a free time so spend time with the KIA even if it on the auction for $reserve.

Done bit of a reading and video on how to as below i manage to isolate the issue to MAF, when i adjust the throttle values stay the same and won't change. 

Tested the TPS using the multi meter and it was functioning as it should, i am sure it is useful the above link to any of you guys.

My Sportage engine looks like the below,

20V9S5I.jpg

Hoping to get a air flow sensor soon or sell this as is where is.

regards,

JC