• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Documents required to buy a Vehicle Permit and other fees

alu

Question

8 answers to this question

On 8/2/2018 at 3:12 AM, Davy said:

Already discussed. Please search the forum. 

This is very old discussion man. do not mislead the members. The information in that discussion not applicable for the current Scenario.

Edited by vps09
wrong update

4 hours ago, vps09 said:

This is very old discussion man. do not mislead the members. The information in that discussion not applicable for the current Scenario.

Hi, welcome to the forum. 

The "current scenario" is exactly what the OP of the quoted thread has asked. Old discussion or not, the law is the law. The advice given in that thread still applies. @Crosswind, since  you are one of the first to respond in the thread, can you please confirm this is correct?

16 hours ago, Davy said:

Hi, welcome to the forum. 

The "current scenario" is exactly what the OP of the quoted thread has asked. Old discussion or not, the law is the law. The advice given in that thread still applies. @Crosswind, since  you are one of the first to respond in the thread, can you please confirm this is correct?

In sri lanka these laws changing yearly. ?

2 hours ago, vps09 said:

In sri lanka these laws changing yearly. ?

Can you please explain the current law and how its different from what's explained in that discussion? Would be interesting to know.

The law is still the same. However, the government has removed the embargo on transferring vehicles imported by permits.

Enforcement of the law becomes virtually impossible because of this reason. It's still illegal but they cant hold you accountable if you violate it.

Let me give you a similar example. Prostitution is NOT illegal in Sri Lanka. But working in a brothel is illegal. If someone is found to be working in a brothel, I think the fine is 100,000 or something. If you are a street prostitute, the only law they can charge u, is the vagrancy ordinance (I think the fine is around 100 for that). 

Although street prostitutes cannot be effectively charged, it does not make prostitution legal, moral or ethical.

Similarly, although the law is ineffective, it doesn't make selling permits legal. Therefore I don't encourage it.

You cant break a law because everyone else is doing it. You can't blame the three wheeler guy who cut across you, the bike which overtook you from the left or the bus that drives on the wrong lane, if you yourself break the law. You cant blame politicians for corruption if you yourself don't care about the law. People in this country need to learn respect the law, even if its something as minute as not cutting across another vehicle. That's the reason why this country is in the shithole it is in.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 2

On 4/10/2019 at 6:30 AM, Crosswind said:

The law is still the same. However, the government has removed the embargo on transferring vehicles imported by permits.

Enforcement of the law becomes virtually impossible because of this reason. It's still illegal but they cant hold you accountable if you violate it.

Let me give you a similar example. Prostitution is NOT illegal in Sri Lanka. But working in a brothel is illegal. If someone is found to be working in a brothel, I think the fine is 100,000 or something. If you are a street prostitute, the only law they can charge u, is the vagrancy ordinance (I think the fine is around 100 for that). 

Although street prostitutes cannot be effectively charged, it does not make prostitution legal, moral or ethical.

Similarly, although the law is ineffective, it doesn't make selling permits legal. Therefore I don't encourage it.

You cant break a law because everyone else is doing it. You can't blame the three wheeler guy who cut across you, the bike which overtook you from the left or the bus that drives on the wrong lane, if you yourself break the law. You cant blame politicians for corruption if you yourself don't care about the law. People in this country need to learn respect the law, even if its something as minute as not cutting across another vehicle. That's the reason why this country is in the shithole it is in.

So the USD 30000 permit still there ? Is that thread all information related to permit still applicable ?