• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Honda GP 1 battery condition

sira

Question

Dear Friends

I'm hoping to buy this car and did the condition test. see the attached, will some one advice me how is the battery condition . this is 2011 Fid hybrit one

SOC - 72%

usable IMA battery capacity - 25%

GP1 battery condition.jpg

22 hours ago, ShaR said:

I've heard that IMA battery usable capacity gets reset to 75% when the 12 battery terminals were disconnected. Have any of you heard of this or experienced this?

How much should we run (km) to get the battery's actual usable capacity?

Is this true? Any one can confim it

57 minutes ago, Randeewa said:

Is this true? Any one can confim it

I want to tell you guys an important story, but a sad one. There was a good old gentleman in our neighborhood known by the name Uncle Chesley De Silva. He is fairly a nice person except he is abnormally stingy and thinks he can save money by different ways. He had a nice petrol car and he used to drive few miles everyday for his day to day tasks. When his retirement period came, he got some money as his employment benefit. He sold his car and also applied for a small loan and bought a GP1 from a car sales. Probably as unregistered. Uncle Chesley was so concerned in battery and asked the sales guy to give him an inspection report on battery. After the report the inspector's comment was "battery is so good.....:). You can use for 2 years atleast". Uncle Chesley thought he can save a lot of money from this new car and he finally bought the car. While he was driving the car for the first time, he told me "Putha, I bought a "high breed" car and the people are telling that it can save a lot of money. If you run the car too slowly and cause lot of inconveniences to the people behind it can produce money also....?". Then after running for a couple of weeks, I met uncle Chesley again. He was not happy at all. Highly worried. He told there is no money saving as he thought. Also he is getting an "error signal" in the dashboard flashing. Then one day he brought the car to an inspector and the inspector did a battery scan and told Uncle Chesley, you need to put a battery for this and that costs this much. Those days battery price was so high. Since Uncle Chesley was too much stingy and not mentally matured, he was very sad and his pressure went so high.....He immediately got a cardiac arrest and died.....So the moral of the story - Never be too much stingy and never think how much you can save by running a hybrid....?

• Haha 2

On 9/5/2018 at 5:31 PM, ShaR said:

I've heard that IMA battery usable capacity gets reset to 75% when the 12 battery terminals were disconnected. Have any of you heard of this or experienced this?

How much should we run (km) to get the battery's actual usable capacity?

As far as I know, the SoC values get reset and the BCM does an immediate recalibration once the 12v terminals are disconnected and reconnected. Any error codes logged by the IMA system also get cleared at this point. I am not sure if disconnecting the 12v causes the usable capacity to be reset to 75%.

However, I do know for a fact that you can reset the usable capacity to 75% using an Honda Diagnostic System scanner connected to the OBD2 port. Once it's reset, it may take a several runs of the vehicle for the actual usable capacity value to be determined and normalized by the BCM. Thankfully, the same diagnostic system software would show the number of km run since the last reset. 

So if you see an old Honda hybrid up for sale with 75% or any high usable capacity value, just check the number of miles since the last IMA reset using a HDS scanner. There is a chance the battery is genuinely good, but there is also the chance of some cock weasel trying to sell a vehicle with a deteriorated battery by hoodwinking the buyer using an IMA reset.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ramishkad said:

As far as I know, the SoC values get reset and the BCM does an immediate recalibration once the 12v terminals are disconnected and reconnected. Any error codes logged by the IMA system also get cleared at this point. I am not sure if disconnecting the 12v causes the usable capacity to be reset to 75%.

However, I do know for a fact that you can reset the usable capacity to 75% using an Honda Diagnostic System scanner connected to the OBD2 port. Once it's reset, it may take a several runs of the vehicle for the actual usable capacity value to be determined and normalized by the BCM. Thankfully, the same diagnostic system software would show the number of km run since the last reset. 

So if you see an old Honda hybrid up for sale with 75% or any high usable capacity value, just check the number of miles since the last IMA reset using a HDS scanner. There is a chance the battery is genuinely good, but there is also the chance of some cock weasel trying to sell a vehicle with a deteriorated battery by hoodwinking the buyer using an IMA reset.

This is very useful information. Thank you for sharing.