• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Boon against Passo - My experience

Sura1973

I have been lost in the current car market and finally decided to buy a 1000cc from Japanese auctions while suppressing my love for Suzuki Kei models. Being very scared for car deals this forum really built my knowledge and confidence on many aspects. By that time I started to search for cars made in 2016 and 2017 Toyota VITZ as well as PASSO had passed the 34 lacks point for basic packages while I was looking for bit of style, features as well as lot of leg room and space yet with a budget restricted around 32.

Having studied several aspects I understood that the Daihatsu is a Toyota subsidiary and PASSO was originally designed by them. Afterwards I traced that the PASSO comes under Dihatsu badge as BOON. 

When I went through the recent auction statistics there was significant price difference between PASSO and BOON for the same package. All the parts are same but the PASSO prices had been exaggerated due to high demand for Toyotas in Sri Lanka. Hence I took the decision to go for a BOON through dealer a friend where he too did not know what BOON was.

This week I accidentally won my bid over a BOON for 800,000 yen which is of G package with Safety (Toyota Smart Assist 2), wine red, diamond cut alloys, LED lights, Auction Grade 6 and just 2000 km done. This will be between 32 and 33 based on the Yen fluctuations by the time I pay. 

I had done  research over 2 months on the auction prices of PASSO and BOON for each grade and started with lower bids just a 4 days ago. This was a trial bid (low end) and it just happened. That was the only BOON on that Auction day and the demand might have been less as I feel. On the same day a lower grade (XL) PASSO with Auction Grade 4.5 with 20,000 km has gone for 915,000 Yen..

I originally was looking for  a BOON SILK (stylish) package with a lesser Auction Grade as it has stylish head lights, grill and RPM meter yet was also OK with the next G package (which I bought).

While I am a new bie in car deals in unregistered segment I feel that I made a reasonable but risky decision with a slight doubt on the 2nd hand market for just missing Toyota badge :).

21MjkGgNZ5bXnx04VoQT4rN4daVRGDhwJ1fYrXTFGEraX8zxaL-gc1-7.jpg.44e27233257b730cde6e4787cb53d121.jpg

21MjkGgNZ5cxkfJ3R4b3r4fohTihVUadZ3Kr3UCQ5EoDEyXSDF-gc1-7.jpg

21MjkGgNZ5cflTr4oe1XKfwdKx85OgISm2vcKrgfSEpUiQgHUd-gc1-7.jpg

Edited by Sura1973
  • Like 2

Congratulations on your new car purchase. Forget about resale value and just enjoy the car :)

There absolutely is no difference between the Boon and the Passo. In Japan the drive away price from the dealership would slightly differ as the Daihatsu and Toyota dealers would offer different services.

Yes...currently prices of Toyotas are inflated (artificially) because of the Toyota badge. However, if you look around you will also see that other brands actually go for reasonable and more realistic prices. You have bought a car for a reasonable and realistic price; so after using it for X years you will be able to get a reasonable offer. Just take care of the car properly and keep the car honest (don't go to maka baases, don't skip out on service intervals, etc...)

Finally, there are quite a lot of non Toyota cars coming in to Sri Lanka because of the tax structure. So with time people will be more accepting of brands other than Toyota.

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, iRage said:

Congratulations on your new car purchase. Forget about resale value and just enjoy the car :)

There absolutely is no difference between the Boon and the Passo. In Japan the drive away price from the dealership would slightly differ as the Daihatsu and Toyota dealers would offer different services.

Yes...currently prices of Toyotas are inflated (artificially) because of the Toyota badge. However, if you look around you will also see that other brands actually go for reasonable and more realistic prices. You have bought a car for a reasonable and realistic price; so after using it for X years you will be able to get a reasonable offer. Just take care of the car properly and keep the car honest (don't go to maka baases, don't skip out on service intervals, etc...)

Finally, there are quite a lot of non Toyota cars coming in to Sri Lanka because of the tax structure. So with time people will be more accepting of brands other than Toyota.

Thanks mate.... To be frank your excellent analysis on cars in this forum, particularly on Suzuki Kei models, helped me immensely in making this decision :)

Edited by Sura1973
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 2/15/2018 at 12:17 PM, Sura1973 said:

I have been lost in the current car market and finally decided to buy a 1000cc from Japanese auctions while suppressing my love for Suzuki Kei models. Being very scared for car deals this forum really built my knowledge and confidence on many aspects. By that time I started to search for cars made in 2016 and 2017 Toyota VITZ as well as PASSO had passed the 34 lacks point for basic packages while I was looking for bit of style, features as well as lot of leg room and space yet with a budget restricted around 32.

Having studied several aspects I understood that the Daihatsu is a Toyota subsidiary and PASSO was originally designed by them. Afterwards I traced that the PASSO comes under Dihatsu badge as BOON. 

When I went through the recent auction statistics there was significant price difference between PASSO and BOON for the same package. All the parts are same but the PASSO prices had been exaggerated due to high demand for Toyotas in Sri Lanka. Hence I took the decision to go for a BOON through dealer a friend where he too did not know what BOON was.

This week I accidentally won my bid over a BOON for 800,000 yen which is of G package with Safety (Toyota Smart Assist 2), wine red, diamond cut alloys, LED lights, Auction Grade 6 and just 2000 km done. This will be between 32 and 33 based on the Yen fluctuations by the time I pay. 

I had done  research over 2 months on the auction prices of PASSO and BOON for each grade and started with lower bids just a 4 days ago. This was a trial bid (low end) and it just happened. That was the only BOON on that Auction day and the demand might have been less as I feel. On the same day a lower grade (XL) PASSO with Auction Grade 4.5 with 20,000 km has gone for 915,000 Yen..

I originally was looking for  a BOON SILK (stylish) package with a lesser Auction Grade as it has stylish head lights, grill and RPM meter yet was also OK with the next G package (which I bought).

While I am a new bie in car deals in unregistered segment I feel that I made a reasonable but risky decision with a slight doubt on the 2nd hand market for just missing Toyota badge :).

21MjkGgNZ5bXnx04VoQT4rN4daVRGDhwJ1fYrXTFGEraX8zxaL-gc1-7.jpg.44e27233257b730cde6e4787cb53d121.jpg

21MjkGgNZ5cxkfJ3R4b3r4fohTihVUadZ3Kr3UCQ5EoDEyXSDF-gc1-7.jpg

21MjkGgNZ5cflTr4oe1XKfwdKx85OgISm2vcKrgfSEpUiQgHUd-gc1-7.jpg

How is your vehicle performance and status? I am also looking to buy a daihatsu boon 2017. Much appreciate if you can share your experience with the car.

Thanks.