• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Wagon R Hybrid Engine Oil

gdgy

Hello everybody,

So suzuki wagon R manual recommends 0w20 but A*W said they only use either 5w30 or 10w30 stating that its what SMCJ recommends for Sri Lanka. There is lot buzz going around about this within wagon R owners groups and I would like an educated opinion on this. I am aware that one of the reason suzuki recommends 0w20 is to hit emission and fuel consumption standards. Does our tropical climate truely require higher viscosity oil. What are good and bad impacts of using 30 instead of 20.

Edited by gdgy

1 hour ago, Twin Turbo said:

Taking into account the local climate, the recommendations have been made,   then stick to them,.

Yes thats what I would do. But service stations like ste****g and au*****ge recommends 0w20. I know we should not trust third party warranty providers than the authorized dealer but could anybody can give a technical ELI5 on the diferences between the two oils and the effects

• Like 1

lower number 0w, 5w, 10w does not matter too much in SL as our ambient temperatures does not go below 20C (unless you live in Nuwara Eiya or so)

But 30 will have higher viscosity (thicker) than 20 at running temperature which could have an impact on the engine friction, oil pressure etc.  Better to stick with the manufactures recommendation.

A*W may be using 5w30 or 10w30 as they might not have same grade of oil imported by them. This has been the case even some years back.

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, kush said:

lower number 0w, 5w, 10w does not matter too much in SL as our ambient temperatures does not go below 20C (unless you live in Nuwara Eiya or so)

But 30 will have higher viscosity (thicker) than 20 at running temperature which could have an impact on the engine friction, oil pressure etc.  Better to stick with the manufactures recommendation.

A*W may be using 5w30 or 10w30 as they might not have same grade of oil imported by them. This has been the case even some years back.

I called A*W and asked whether we could bring the specific oil(0w20) with us to the service but they told me that they dont allow it and went on to say what I mentioned in OP. However he didnt sound very convincing about cooperate policy regarding not allowing outside oil and wasn't clear on whether changing it somewhere else would void the warranty. The first person who answered the phone told me that I could opt to change engine oil at some other place and then come to their service station to get the rest done. Am I being too paranoid or should I be worried?

I have zero experiance regarding these regular services as this is going to be my first vehicle. (You might laugh because I yet have to receive my vehicle and here I am worrying about first service, but I like to research things and consider all my options before going ahead)

UPDATE (incase anybody else is wondering the same)

I called A*W today and I was told to contact one of their engineers. According to him they have requested (since customers kept requesting for) for 0w20 oil stocks and those will be available to the customers once the request goes through the cooperate chain of command and the subsequent process of getting them down to their service centers. He was unable to give a specific date but according to him it wont be too long.

Edited by gdgy
added more info

31 minutes ago, gdgy said:

UPDATE (incase anybody else is wondering the same)

I called A*W today and I was told to contact one of their engineers. According to him they have requested (since customers kept requesting for) for 0w20 oil stocks and those will be available to the customers once the request goes through the cooperate chain of command and the subsequent process of getting them down to their service centers. He was unable to give a specific date but according to him it wont be too long.

Considering the long waiting time for the car by them you will most probably have the oil for the service

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
18 hours ago, kassa9111 said:

Hi friends i read all your post and i do recommend that we stick to the manufacture specification .  is there any place we can buy 0w20 oil in sl.. and like to knw does the suzuki spacia also use the same oil thinkness

Manual recommends both 0w20 and 5w30 for normal car and only 5w30 for turbo variant. Both 0w20 and 5w30 oils are widely available. I don't know exactly what oil is recommended for the specia but I think it might be same as WagonR.

photo_2018-04-17_07-37-48.jpg

It's actually very simple, Sri lanka has a very limited variation of oils. So 0w20 is synthetic and 5w30 is semi synthetic and 10w40 is mineral. This is how oils including Mobil, Toyota branded oils and most are.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

14 hours ago, The Stig said:

It's actually very simple, Sri lanka has a very limited variation of oils. So 0w20 is synthetic and 5w30 is semi synthetic and 10w40 is mineral. This is how oils including Mobil, Toyota branded oils and most are.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://AutoLanka.com mobile app powered by Tapatalk

A*W now carries Castrol 5w20 which is a synthetic oil. Only problem is its little bit pricier compared to the alternative which is Mobile 1 0w20. Both are synthetic oils according to the product data sheets.

Edited by gdgy
clarification

• 4 weeks later...

***Update***

Good news everybody,

A*W now allows customers to bring in engine oil for their Wagon R Premium (FZ non safety) under following conditions and terms.

1. Must be a Fully Synthetic oil.
  2. Oil grade should be 0w16, 0w20 or 5w30.

Apart from this A*W now carries following oils for Waggon R.(not quite sure, you might wanna check with them to confirm)

1. Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5w20, 5w30.
  2. Castrol Magnatec 5w20, 5w30.

Decided to get my Hustlers first service done at A*W Kandy even though the car sale nominated Kun***sale Auto Se***ce

To hell with the warranty I guess 

Switched to Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 fully synthetic 

The car was on 0w-20

I kinda Feel the car is smoother and faster to rev up

Not sure what will happen to the fuel figures though which are likely to drop

Webp.net-compress-image.jpg

Edited by tiv

You are already seeing the benefits of a better lubrication  at work.   Will give you the differance between your engine starting to burn oil @ a low milage and a long service life.

Cheers!

TT.

Edited by Twin Turbo
  • Like 2

On 5/14/2018 at 3:08 PM, tiv said:

Decided to get my Hustlers first service done at A*W Kandy even though the car sale nominated Kun***sale Auto Se***ce

To hell with the warranty I guess 

Switched to Castrol Magnatec 5w-30 fully synthetic 

The car was on 0w-20

I kinda Feel the car is smoother and faster to rev up

Not sure what will happen to the fuel figures though which are likely to drop

Webp.net-compress-image.jpg

Glad to hear it.

Fuel figures might drop but it wont be noticeable I guess? At the end of the day if you can afford a 3 mil car you certainly can afford to lose a few kmpl if the outcome is better engine lubrication. But the WagonR crowd, specially the Facebook page members are adamant on using 0w20 and are planning on finding selller/importer for 0w16 oil :mellow:.

Please update this thread with your findings regarding magnatec 5w30

Edited by gdgy

Clearly she pulls more now, fuel figures are the same, on the 15-20 mark with AC and hill country.

I'm going to switch my Mira also to 5w-30 Synthetic, rather than the Toyota 0w-20 which is semi. As for larger diesels, the oil is anyway thick, going with synthetic is going to be rather financially demanding

Edited by tiv
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Hi!

I recently buy a Suzuki Specia CustomZ Turbo car. I used Toyota 5W30 engine oil since my first service.

According to my knowledge, Suzuki  recommend  5W30 engine oil for all the Turbo Models  including both Stingray and Specia.

Apart from that, spec of the Toyota 5W30 clearly mention that it is develop for the turbocharged engine (Plz refer the attachment).

Because of both Specia and Wagon R come with same engine specification I personally recommend 5W30 engine oil for all the turbo model.

Your ideas towards the reply of mine will be mostly welcome.

Thank You.

toyota 5w30.png

22 minutes ago, iRage said:

I am curious....Toyota does not make oils...they never did and never will....does anyone know where the "Toyota" labelled oils come from ? Like who packages it for them in South/South-East Asia ? 

I have the same doubt!

It is nowhere mentioned that they manufacture motor oils.

In my understanding, they do recommend motor oils.

Someone can shed light on this.

Edited by gNaveendra

2 minutes ago, gNaveendra said:

I have the same doubt!

It is nowhere mentioned that they manufacture motor oils.

In my understanding, they do recommend motor oils.

LOL...no they don't...non of the manufacturers do...it does not have to be stated as it is obvious. Same with oil filters, brake pads, etc...they are all OEM and then they are licensed/certified by the vehicle manufacturer to be compliant for their vehicles.

In the US they used Castrol, then Mobil..in Japan it used to be Castrol and now they use Castle as Toyota recommended oil...

Sometimes you get things like TRD oil etc, even those are manufactured by an actual oil manufacturer according to some sort of specification provided by entities like TRD.

1 hour ago, ravilal said:

Hi!

I recently buy a Suzuki Specia CustomZ Turbo car. I used Toyota 5W30 engine oil since my first service.

According to my knowledge, Suzuki  recommend  5W30 engine oil for all the Turbo Models  including both Stingray and Specia.

Apart from that, spec of the Toyota 5W30 clearly mention that it is develop for the turbocharged engine (Plz refer the attachment).

Because of both Specia and Wagon R come with same engine specification I personally recommend 5W30 engine oil for all the turbo model.

Your ideas towards the reply of mine will be mostly welcome.

Thank You.

toyota 5w30.png

Suzuki Wagon R manual clearly specify 0w16,0w20 or 5w30 fully synthetic (IIRC on "full synthetic" part) and "only" 5w30 & 5,000km  service interval for turbo variant.

On 5/16/2018 at 4:15 PM, tiv said:

Clearly she pulls more now, fuel figures are the same, on the 15-20 mark with AC and hill country.

I'm going to switch my Mira also to 5w-30 Synthetic, rather than the Toyota 0w-20 which is semi. As for larger diesels, the oil is anyway thick, going with synthetic is going to be rather financially demanding

I'm confused, shouldn't using a higher viscosity oil reduce performance? As the oil is thicker it should put a higher strain on the engine.

Also, isn't there 30 viscosity or lower mineral oil at all?

18 hours ago, Magnum said:

I'm confused, shouldn't using a higher viscosity oil reduce performance? As the oil is thicker it should put a higher strain on the engine.

Same thing crossed my mind. But I thought "what do I know, these guys have been maintaining cars for lot longer than me.
Also I went through both Castrol Magnatec 5w20, 5w30 and Edge 0w20 product data sheets and saw that there are only rather very small differences between the oil properties. I would much appreciate if anybody can further elucidate us on this matter.

Oil Viscosity, Kinematic 100 Celsius

5w30 - 9.6 mm²/s
5w20 - 8.7 mm²/s
0w20 - 8.6 mm²/s

Oil Viscosity, Kinematic 40C

5w30 - 54 mm²/s
5w20 - 51 mm²/s
0w20 - 45 mm²/s

Product data sheet links

5w30

5w20

0w20

Edited by gdgy

21 hours ago, Magnum said:

3 hours ago, gdgy said:

Same thing crossed my mind. But I thought "what do I know, these guys have been maintaining cars for lot longer than me.
Also I went through both Castrol Magnatec 5w20, 5w30 and Edge 0w20 product data sheets and saw that there are only rather very small differences between the oil properties. I would much appreciate if anybody can further elucidate us on this matter.

Oil Viscosity, Kinematic 100 Celsius

5w30 - 9.6 mm²/s
5w20 - 8.7 mm²/s
0w20 - 8.6 mm²/s

Oil Viscosity, Kinematic 40C

5w30 - 54 mm²/s
5w20 - 51 mm²/s
0w20 - 45 mm²/s

Product data sheet links

5w30

5w20

0w20

The oil is slightly thicker, But I dofeel more power, esp top end, also my point would be the thicker oil may have started to lubricate a bit more, also surely the first fill from the factory is less likely to be a synthetic oil, and they also add break-in additives, all this combined i believe the difference. the downside noted there is a noticeable rattle on cold start for about 3 seconds. Since the engine revs to 2000 rpm itself and settles. Cold start being about 22c or higher, thus whatever the oil there can't be a big change in viscosity to have a detrimental effect on the motor.

• 2 months later...