• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Any information about new toyota crown?

thejan123

Question

Hi can anybody tell me some information about the new toyota crown.I kinda like its overall design. But the thing i cant seem to find this car anywhere. I want to know if theres a fault or something or is it beacuse its not so much popular with srilankan people? Anyways will it be same as maintaining a europian car?And wbt the fuel consumtion.

Thnx❤

5 answers to this question

Well..Crown is one of Toyota's upmarket models just falling below the Century. Despite a special version was used in Hong Kong as a taxi it has been a premium sedan right thru out. I think the issue is Crown generally tend to have very high engine capacities. If i am not mistaken the GwS204 hybrid was 3.5 litre hybrid ( you need to reverify this) hence, with the new advalorum excise structure people defineitely opt for a E200 / E350e etc rather than going for Jap. If you are looking for a second hand am sure you can pick up a mint model about 2007/2008 for below 9mn. But since the vehicle is air suspensioned and relative scarcity of second hand parts in SL (due to low volumes) you may not find many cars. 

The S200 series Crown Hybrid came only with a 3.5L. However the S210 series Crown Hybrid has a 2.5L engine and there are quite a few of them around.

As for the gasoline variants....it comes with either the 2.5L 4GR-FSE engine or the 3.0L 2GR-FSE engine. The S210 series comes in a 2L Turbo charged variant as well with the 8AR-FSE engine. The first two of these engines are found in the Mark X as well. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the Crown. The engines are pretty good and the transmissions are nice and it is extremely well put together and nothing like the Allions and Axios our people are used to when it comes to Toyota quality and finish. Features and accessories wise they stack up right there with the 5-series BMWs and E class Mercs.

The main reason the Crown is not that common in SL is because of the price.Prices start at 4mil yen upwards for the Athlete. The Royal series is a bit more. The Majesta series is quite quite a lot more. So when you add the taxes the Crowns are almost and even more pricier than the Euro cars.

People who buy cars in this category either buy it for driving pleasure or for the show-off factor. Unfortunately for Toyota, the Crown's Euro competitors have an edge over the Crown in both those departments.

As for the Taxi Crown....well...the Taxi version of the Crown stopped being a Crown in the mid 90s when the Crown went wide body. At this point the Crown came in a passenger series (Athlete, Royal Saloon, Majesta) and then the Crown business series which was the "Crown Sedan/Comfort" used for Taxis and driver training cars. The Crown Sedan/Comfort has nothing to do with the Crown except for the name. The taxi seires is actually based on the X90 series Mark II/Cresta/Chaser platform.

2 hours ago, iRage said:

People who buy cars in this category either buy it for driving pleasure or for the show-off factor. Unfortunately for Toyota, the Crown's Euro competitors have an edge over the Crown in both those departments.

yes,the crowd who are targeted by the  Crown would rather settle for a Merc,BMW or Lexus instead. I have heard that the largest clientele of Crown are  upcoming or lower level Gangsters(of course the Bosses will go for an S-klass,7-series or a Lambo!)

Well. You really can't compare a Camry or Mark x with a Crown. They are in different leagues (even though the Mark X shares engines and drive train components). 

Yes, the Yakuza buys Crowns. But the Crown is also bought in tons by 'upper management'/'late 40 upward rich dudes'. That is how japanese manufacturers set car segments for the local market. You start off with a kei car, get your first job buy something like a trueno, then get married buy a Corolla. Move to a Carina with your next promotion. Then go to a Mark 2 when u reach upper midfle management and then move to a Crown. Unfortunately that model is not working for anyone now so manufacturers are desperately trying to resort its product portfolio