• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Best SUV on a budget

Dinu_hasith

Question

Hi Guys,

I'm planing to buy a used SUV this year. My budget is around 4.5M. What are the models that are out there that are reliable, easy to find spare parts, fuel efficient, 7 seater, 4x4, automatic trasnmission? How is the toyota land cruiser and isuzu trooper?

Thanks in advance.

4 answers to this question

13 hours ago, Dinu_hasith said:

Hi Guys,

I'm planing to buy a used SUV this year. My budget is around 4.5M. What are the models that are out there that are reliable, easy to find spare parts, fuel efficient, 7 seater, 4x4, automatic trasnmission? How is the toyota land cruiser and isuzu trooper?

Thanks in advance.

I suppose you will be looking at a 70 series Prado/Land Cruiser II or an 80 series wagon ?

They are both pretty decent SUVs as long as they have been looked after. There are quite a few body swapped Land Cruisers around so make sure you get what ever car you are interested in properly checked out.

The Trooper gets an unfair bad rep from the usual car salesmen and market pundits (unless they themselves have one for sale of course). True, there might have been a few issues but all cars have them (there is no such thing called a 100% perfect car). Besides by now the well taken care of Troopers would have these issues sorted out anyway. Body parts might not be as easily and freely available as a Land Cruiser but there are plenty of ways to source them now a days. 

For the same price of an old box Land Cruiser I believe you can get a newer Trooper. 

• Like 1

Thanks iRage for the info.. So I have been searching auto lanka and ###### for land cruisers and troopers. Troopers are cheaper as you said. So if you had budget of around 5 million, considering maintenance cost and ease of finding spare parts, would u go for a land cruiser box model or a newer trooper? :)  And some ads say new body fitted or new engine fitted. Should that be a concern?

Thanks

I shall not answer your question about what i will buy as it is a matter of preference. You should check both out and see which you like best.

A few notes:

Maintenance wise i would reckon both are pretty much the same as long as you take it to proper garage/mechanics who know what they are doing.

Finding parts for a Land Cruiser would be a lot easier (I suppose) body parts seem to be available all over the place and mechanical parts too are a plenty. The Trooper might be a bit of a challenge when it comes to body parts. I really can't say anything about mechanical part availability.

Well...yes...body fitted means they took the chassis of one vehicle, imported a body and fitted it to the old chassis. There are tons of old Army land cruisers which civilians have restored this way. You have to make sure that this has been done legitimately. i.e. body imported under proper permit (depending on how the body was restored), book updated etc....the body is of the actual model registered and matches with the YoM, etc.... To be honest where Land Cruisers are concerned....there are plenty of original body LCs that you really don't need to waste your time with body swapped units.

For ne enined vehicles, again....make sure the book has been updated accordingly and that the swap has been done in a proper way. I would stay away from petrol to diesel conversions, but that is just me....