• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Advice on BMW E46 & E36

Djin

Question

Hi All,

I am thinking about upgrading to a BMW E36 or E46 from Grande Punto. Can anyone give me advice on fuel efficiency and the issues these two models might have?

Also is it possible to get any recommendations for any other brands i might have not considered as an upgrade (it doesn't matter if it is an euro or jap), i'm looking for reasonable fuel efficiency, reasonable power, comfortable interior and somewhat of a sporty look. my budget is around 3.5 mil.

Thanks in advance.

10 answers to this question

On 2/8/2018 at 12:47 PM, ajm said:

Personal experience

E36 110000km YOM 1992 used in 2005:Alternator failure, vaccum/radiator hoses leaking

E46 80000km YOM1998 used in 2007: radiator plastic reserve tank crack,Thermostat failure,vacuum leaks from some rubber hoses,water pump lockup(fortunatelky not driven by timing belt)

other known issues with newer models:

N47 Engine(2010 3-series etc) have a problem that the maintenance -free timing chain tensioner can fail every 30,000km or so!

Also have heard about early 2000 models where turbocharger-fin parts would break off ang go in to the cylinders.

The majority of what you mentioned that appears to have failed in the cars you used appear to be cooling system related. It is a known fact that cooling system components need to be replaced with age, especially so on euro cars. Vacuum hoses are also age related failures usually and not really deal breakers. 

The N47 timing tensioner issue now has an upgraded part I believe. 

• Like 1

E46 will be over 10 years (most of them over 15 years) and E36 around 18 years old and will have issues due to age.

Suggest Mazda 3, Lancer EX, Civic FD

Ford Focus, VW Passat, VW Jetta if you want a Euro

You will be able to find a post 2007 with your budget

Personal experience

E36 110000km YOM 1992 used in 2005:Alternator failure, vaccum/radiator hoses leaking

E46 80000km YOM1998 used in 2007: radiator plastic reserve tank crack,Thermostat failure,vacuum leaks from some rubber hoses,water pump lockup(fortunatelky not driven by timing belt)

other known issues with newer models:

N47 Engine(2010 3-series etc) have a problem that the maintenance -free timing chain tensioner can fail every 30,000km or so!

Also have heard about early 2000 models where turbocharger-fin parts would break off ang go in to the cylinders.

On 10/02/2018 at 2:09 AM, Djin said:

Thank you for your thoughts Gents. It seems i might have to spend alot of time in the garage if i buy an E36 or E46.

What about Kia Serato's 2011 edition?

If you want to by what you desire go for it. Don’t buy someone else’s choice.Try to find a E46 with service history. This will come at a price though which you won’t regret. I am sure if you check the cooling system and change what is needed and maintain properly you won’t have any major headaches.

Yes,true you will have to spend some time in garage and waiting for parts etc,so you will need an alternative means of transport  during the longer downtimes. But apart from these minor issues these pre2000 models are quite solidly built,and more fun to drive and even hear the engine. Whereas the newer models are more loaded with electronics and lacking the real BMW feel/connection between the driver and wheels,which makes them a bit boring IMO.

On 2/12/2018 at 10:10 AM, Supra_Natural said:

The N47 timing tensioner issue now has an upgraded part I believe. 

yes,but the effectiveness of the improvement is not confirmed. My colleague is on the 3rd Chain kit,because even with the 2nd change of improved part,the problem came back within 30k kms. 

here you can see in red,a list of models with the N47 engine.

https://www.1erforum.de/threads/n47-diesel-uebersicht-steuerkette-schabt-rasselt-gelaengt-gerissen.136698/