• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Toyota 1st, 2004

rebelgramy

2 hours ago, rebelgramy said:

Help, I bought a Toyota 1st, 2004, and I don't speak Japanese. I can't get the screen to do anything. I live on my pension so funds are tight. Can I put it in English, or is it expensive to replace? Just want to listen to radio and grandkids love their cds.. Help. 

do you have a smartphone? If so you can use it to translate using your camera  with google translate. 

ability to change language depends on your setup  - some come only in Japanese. 

3 hours ago, rebelgramy said:

Help, I bought a Toyota 1st, 2004, and I don't speak Japanese. I can't get the screen to do anything. I live on my pension so funds are tight. Can I put it in English, or is it expensive to replace? Just want to listen to radio and grandkids love their cds.. Help. 

If you are talking about the radio on your car, you should know that the radio frequencies (signals) used it Japan are different from those of Sri Lanka.

You might be able to listen to some radio channels but not all. For example, E-FM would work. But Red FM or Sun FM might not work.

If you can afford it, try to get it replaced with a non-Japanese unit. The starting price for a an average brand new one should be around 10,000.

I have a Japanese set up as well on my van, as mentioned earlier you can use a Google translator app to translate to English. It's pretty easy and Japanese has instant translation as well so you don't have to take a pic of each and everything you need to translate

Also after a while you get used to the menu and you wouldn't need a translator anymore.

For the FM, there is a frequency converter which doesn't cost much. This converter let's you get full FM range within the 90 bandwidth. That is on your display you would get only up to 90 but you'll be able to find frequencies higher than 90. It maybe bit confusing because you wouldn't know on which frequency you are actually on but it does the job.

• 2 years later...
On 2/7/2018 at 4:51 PM, Magnum said:

I have a Japanese set up as well on my van, as mentioned earlier you can use a Google translator app to translate to English. It's pretty easy and Japanese has instant translation as well so you don't have to take a pic of each and everything you need to translate

Also after a while you get used to the menu and you wouldn't need a translator anymore.

For the FM, there is a frequency converter which doesn't cost much. This converter let's you get full FM range within the 90 bandwidth. That is on your display you would get only up to 90 but you'll be able to find frequencies higher than 90. It maybe bit confusing because you wouldn't know on which frequency you are actually on but it does the job.

Hi , can anyone please let me know of the sound quality of the stations once you install the expander? Is it the same as to listening the stations from a  normal device? Also the place i checked in today said that it is not successful as the signal strength quality would be poor once you go out station. 

On 2/7/2018 at 6:21 AM, Magnum said:

Added benefit from the confusion: Your friends can't cop a ride and then, immediately start switching stations or tracks around! Driver ALWAYS gets to choose the tracks :D 

• Haha 2