• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Is connecting the sub-woofer amp to the car battery a problem?

Kulasangar

Hi all,

I actually got a sub-woofer fixed to my 20-year-old car (Peugeot 406 d8) today from a professional auto-shop and I"m wondering whether this would mess up the car in the near future?

As a note I would like to mention that, the worker who fixed this connected the amp, to the car battery. Just wanted to know, whether it would cause any huge issues as an overall, to the car or it's wiring system?

Thanks.

Edited by Kulasangar

Yes, the positive line for high power amplifiers connects to the battery directly. This is normal. Just make sure that the line is protected (with an inline fuse) and the fuse is located as close to the battery as possible. This will protect the car in case a short circuit happens. 

As for your question about potential issues to your car, it all depends on the current the amplifier draws versus the current the alternator produces to keep the battery charged.  Now that the amplifier is already installed, you can get your charging system checked out at full load (headlights on, AC on, stereo on high volume)  to determine if the alternator is keeping up with the power draw requirement. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, ajm said:

what is the ampere rating of the amplifier? Normally it should be OK if its made for automotive usage the alternator should provide enough juice.

I couldn't actually notice the rating, but I can get back to you on that. But then the people who did the job did all the amplifier testings using the multimeter and made sure it's getting proper juice. 

5 hours ago, Twin Turbo said:

Image result for car capacitor

Use a cap to smooth out the spikes in the power take up.

Alright, noted and thanks a bunch.

4 hours ago, Davy said:

Yes, the positive line for high power amplifiers connects to the battery directly. This is normal. Just make sure that the line is protected (with an inline fuse) and the fuse is located as close to the battery as possible. This will protect the car in case a short circuit happens. 

As for your question about potential issues to your car, it all depends on the current the amplifier draws versus the current the alternator produces to keep the battery charged.  Now that the amplifier is already installed, you can get your charging system checked out at full load (headlights on, AC on, stereo on high volume)  to determine if the alternator is keeping up with the power draw requirement. 

Possibly the good thing I've read for the day :P , and yes they've kept the fuse close enough to the battery. Regarding the load test, they actually tested with high volume and with headlights but not with the AC though. I might have to test it again and see then. Can I do the test on my own at my place, or is it better to take the car over there and do it? Thank you so much for the point outs.

The D8 's batt case only allows a 55-65 amp DIN battery.

it cannot be upgraded as the space is limited.

the only upgrade is the alternator. The factory valeo unit is adequate for a small system. as it's been put in with the factory A/c.

• Like 1