• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Updating the navigation system

gurusin

Hello Friends,

I have recently purchased a Honda Civic 1000 cc turbo - UK domestic model. This comes with Honda Connect - Garmin navigation system.

Could somebody help me to install the map of  Sri Lanka in that system ? I checked with the agents and some people but got the impression that nobody had a reasonable idea on how to do it. I do not want to let an incompetent person damage my system, since everything is integrated here.

If somebody had get it done, please share the details with me.

Thanks in advance.

Sudarshana

• 2 months later...

I guess we want to try it out just for the sake of the challenge. 

First off the navigation app is hard coded for Europe. Secondly Garmin doesn't have a proper map for Sri Lanka so OSM is the other alternative. From my research what I found was that you will have to merge the Garmin and OSM maps together as the Garmin unit will look for the Map of Europe, so the way out will be to sneak in the SL map into the map of Europe so it will override the default low res Map of Sri Lanka which Garmin already has.

Another alternative was to install a separate Navigation App like OsmAnd (as the Unit runs Andriod). I think this will require rooting of the unit as by default, it will only allow the installation of apps with the Honda signature ( read it in a couple of places, yet to validate it personally).

Another point worth mentioning is, Andriod Auto is not released for the Sri Lankan market but Apple CarPlay is. Both of them work amicably, the coolest feature is the center display (which has the speed and the tacho) switch over to the turn by turn navigation display.

• Like 2

It's better to use the google maps in android auto as it is working well on my civic.

Since Garmin maps is not fully update for SL, using gmaps is the best to do the job.

Even though the android auto is blocked for our region in playstore, installing the apk directly is ok and i am using it for couple of months.

As I remember there was an expiration date for garmin maps subscription too, 3yrs or 5yrs. 

regards

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 4/28/2018 at 5:33 AM, Insedious said:

I guess we want to try it out just for the sake of the challenge. 

First off the navigation app is hard coded for Europe. Secondly Garmin doesn't have a proper map for Sri Lanka so OSM is the other alternative. From my research what I found was that you will have to merge the Garmin and OSM maps together as the Garmin unit will look for the Map of Europe, so the way out will be to sneak in the SL map into the map of Europe so it will override the default low res Map of Sri Lanka which Garmin already has.

Another alternative was to install a separate Navigation App like OsmAnd (as the Unit runs Andriod). I think this will require rooting of the unit as by default, it will only allow the installation of apps with the Honda signature ( read it in a couple of places, yet to validate it personally).

Another point worth mentioning is, Andriod Auto is not released for the Sri Lankan market but Apple CarPlay is. Both of them work amicably, the coolest feature is the center display (which has the speed and the tacho) switch over to the turn by turn navigation display.

Adding a link to the solution as this is tried and tested.

• 3 months later...