• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

What to buy ? Used 1500cc or New 660 cc / 1000cc ?

Sura1973

Hi Friends and Experts,

I am new to the forum and have a very common question perhaps many may have these days when upgrading personal vehicles after the budget.

Currently I have a Suzuki Liana (2004) which I opted with confidence those days as I could not afford a Toyota or Honda with the same space (head and leg space), features, engine (1300cc) and practicalities the Liana has. I never repent on the selection and was quite aware of its pluses and limits.

As the next vehicle I am interested in a car that will not make me miss the current comforts / features I have while also thinking of resale issues,  as well as fitting my budget (3.4 million). I use the car for daily office and household stuff while also making family trips (5 members) with luggage to outstations once in 3 months. I am confused with the car market trends after the recent budget and kindly help me making a fair decision out of the following;

(1) Unregistered Suzuki Key car (Wagon R, Hustler, Spacia) -  Here I have to compromise on seating, engine, luggage and rear passenger comfort but I am very happy with their features and overall space

(2) Honda Fit GP 1 (2012) - I love this car yet I am aware of its engine issue and cost of parts so most probably will not opt for it

(3) Unregistered Toyota Vitz (2015) - This exceeds my budget but would go for it if it is really worth as every one says buying a Toyota is an investment and they are built to last. Yet have to compromise on engine and high driving position Suzukis / Fits offer

(4) Suzuki SX4 (2008/10) - I love this car and 2008 ones are below 3m. It offers me many features I like as well as power. Yet the confusion is whether to give up the budget concessions on Kei cars and Vitz and buy a car that was built 10 years ago.

Thank you 

Edited by Sura1973

19 hours ago, Sura1973 said:

Hi Friends and Experts,

I am new to the forum and have a very common question perhaps many may have these days when upgrading personal vehicles after the budget.

Currently I have a Suzuki Liana (2004) which I opted with confidence those days as I could not afford a Toyota or Honda with the same space (head and leg space), features, engine (1300cc) and practicalities the Liana has. I never repent on the selection and was quite aware of its pluses and limits.

As the next vehicle I am interested in a car that will not make me miss the current comforts / features I have while also thinking of resale issues,  as well as fitting my budget (3.4 million). I use the car for daily office and household stuff while also making family trips (5 members) with luggage to outstations once in 3 months. I am confused with the car market trends after the recent budget and kindly help me making a fair decision out of the following;

(1) Unregistered Suzuki Key car (Wagon R, Hustler, Spacia) -  Here I have to compromise on seating, engine, luggage and rear passenger comfort but I am very happy with their features and overall space

(2) Honda Fit GP 1 (2012) - I love this car yet I am aware of its engine issue and cost of parts so most probably will not opt for it

(3) Unregistered Toyota Vitz (2015) - This exceeds my budget but would go for it if it is really worth as every one says buying a Toyota is an investment and they are built to last. Yet have to compromise on engine and high driving position Suzukis / Fits offer

(4) Suzuki SX4 (2008/10) - I love this car and 2008 ones are below 3m. It offers me many features I like as well as power. Yet the confusion is whether to give up the budget concessions on Kei cars and Vitz and buy a car that was built 10 years ago.

Thank you 

well if you are used to the space of the liana and you use it for household work the kei cars (other than maybe the spacia) will feel awfully cramped for you.  The closest to an 'upgrade' you will get is either the SX4 or the GP1. 

Driven an SX4 and it's not a bad ride at all other than the fact it's 10 years old it's  a decent all round car.

as for the GP1 well it's a very practical car and fun to drive and comes with a load of bells and whistles for that price like cruise control etc the 'engine issue' you mention is the one where some people had an issue with engine oil burning? 

I've been in Vitz' too it's got a decent interior but for your price you're looking at a 1000 CC and what i noticed is it has to spit its guts out when overtaking.

Out of the lot I'd  go with the SX4 or the GP1 - when it comes to practicality and family/household use  they are miles ahead of the vitz and the kei cars.

Edited by matroska

7 hours ago, matroska said:

well if you are used to the space of the liana and you use it for household work the kei cars (other than maybe the spacia) will feel awfully cramped for you.  The closest to an 'upgrade' you will get is either the SX4 or the GP1. 

Driven an SX4 and it's not a bad ride at all other than the fact it's 10 years old it's  a decent all round car.

as for the GP1 well it's a very practical car and fun to drive and comes with a load of bells and whistles for that price like cruise control etc the 'engine issue' you mention is the one where some people had an issue with engine oil burning? 

I've been in Vitz' too it's got a decent interior but for your price you're looking at a 1000 CC and what i noticed is it has to spit its guts out when overtaking.

Out of the lot I'd  go with the SX4 or the GP1 - when it comes to practicality and family/household use  they are miles ahead of the vitz and the kei cars.

Thank you for clearing many of my doubts.

14 hours ago, Sura1973 said:

Vitz is enough for 5 persons with luggage yet price tag is higher than my budget.

I dont thinks so machan,  i have vitz 2008 and it's very difficult to go event 100 kms with 5 ppl. 

Wagon R space is enough, But when you move Wagon R consider second hand market.

1 hour ago, dhanuFB15 said:

I dont thinks so machan,  i have vitz 2008 and it's very difficult to go event 100 kms with 5 ppl. 

I'm also having a Vitz (1300cc). for long journeys best suited for 4 adults but 5 is manageable unless they are heavy built and I think wagonR is no different from that. It just has enough space for it's size . But driving a Kei car fully loaded for 100+KM would be a headache.

OP can look for a decently used Tiida or a 141 for carrying 5 people with ease.

42 minutes ago, hrm said:

I'm also having a Vitz (1300cc). for long journeys best suited for 4 adults but 5 is manageable unless they are heavy built and I think wagonR is no different from that. It just has enough space for it's size . But driving a Kei car fully loaded for 100+KM would be a headache.

a good 141 might be  bit out of budget.... Tiida is also a good option. Specially since OP is coming from a Liana he'd feel a bit awkward in a kei 

On 1/24/2018 at 8:40 AM, dhanuFB15 said:

Thank you... Yes the space in budget Toyotas are very much marginal. This was why I went for a Liana earlier since you need to be in comfort rather than sitting on an expensive badge... Distorted car norms in Sri Lanka are driving the decision making nuts when thinking of resale value as the first priority 

On 1/23/2018 at 10:36 AM, matroska said:

Having done some research I feel for Fit GE 6 (non Hybrid). I hope there has not been an engine issue like in GP 1 as well as there will not be the burden of Hybrid battery replacement. Yet I would get the same Honda riding quality, decent engine power and reasonable resale value.. Fit GE6 of 2010/11 are available for less than 3m... Any feedback ?

6 hours ago, Sura1973 said:

Having done some research I feel for Fit GE 6 (non Hybrid). I hope there has not been an engine issue like in GP 1 as well as there will not be the burden of Hybrid battery replacement. Yet I would get the same Honda riding quality, decent engine power and reasonable resale value.. Fit GE6 of 2010/11 are available for less than 3m... Any feedback ?

GE6 is a great little car they are a bit rare to find highly recommend it. As you said you don't need to worry about battery replacement down the line either. 

(BTW FYI engine issue for Honda GP1 came only in a series of cars made between 2012-2013 but even of those not all have developed that issue depends on usage etc.)

To sum up if you can find a GE6 in great nick go for it  

Edited by matroska

Most kei models comes with riding capacity of 4 (not 5).  By law you can't have 3 people in rear seat.  Also the rear seat of these vehicles are not comfortable in a long journey.

How about corolla 141 ?  Reliable car but not fuel efficient as keis.

Or, Suzuki Baleno, JDM version (1.0 L turbo ) comes around a price tag of 3.6. A decent car but assembled in India.

Edited by trish_auto

12 hours ago, trish_auto said:

Most kei models comes with riding capacity of 4 (not 5).  By law you can't have 3 people in rear seat.  Also the rear seat of these vehicles are not comfortable in a long journey.

How about corolla 141 ?  Reliable car but not fuel efficient as keis.

Or, Suzuki Baleno, JDM version (1.0 L turbo ) comes around a price tag of 3.6. A decent car but assembled in India.

Thanks... 141 is out cos of crazy price tag due to Toyota badge which is beyond my budget. I would love to go for a Baleno as I love the design yet its Indian origin just haunts me as an average car user since Sri Lankan car market norms are very strange. On the other hand I had a look into Baleno and its interior is not actually resembles the quality feeling we get from out side... At the moment my mind is shifting between a Kei model and something like Honda GE 6 / Suzuki SX 4 (from 2008 to 2012)... I looked into a a range of Kei cars and I find the best option is to order a Wagon R from A*W in that case... Personal import segment has been very tricky for Wagon R when the waranty, credibility and options are considered. A personal import through a dealer would be worth if I can find a Spacia or Hustler around 26 lacks.. Those Keis with sales are either over priced or auction details are not credible..

6 hours ago, Sura1973 said:

Thanks... 141 is out cos of crazy price tag due to Toyota badge which is beyond my budget. I would love to go for a Baleno as I love the design yet its Indian origin just haunts me as an average car user since Sri Lankan car market norms are very strange. On the other hand I had a look into Baleno and its interior is not actually resembles the quality feeling we get from out side... At the moment my mind is shifting between a Kei model and something like Honda GE 6 / Suzuki SX 4 (from 2008 to 2012)... I looked into a a range of Kei cars and I find the best option is to order a Wagon R from A*W in that case... Personal import segment has been very tricky for Wagon R when the waranty, credibility and options are considered. A personal import through a dealer would be worth if I can find a Spacia or Hustler around 26 lacks.. Those Keis with sales are either over priced or auction details are not credible..

First time drivers, small hatch users  are perfectly happy with the Kei's people used to larger cars (at least the ones i know of) didn't like the kei-experience. Coming from a Liana I think  you will be slightly disappointed having said that if the newness of the vehicle , possible warranty in case of an A*W purchase are deciding factors then its worthwhile considering the keis 

On 24 January 2018 at 7:20 AM, hrm said:

Actually, Generation to generation Toyota vitz car size has increased by 10cm every time, so can not

Compare 2008 vitz size with 2016 vitz size.  New one has more space. Thank you.

54 minutes ago, maybach said:

Actually, Generation to generation Toyota vitz car size has increased by 10cm every time, so can not

Compare 2008 vitz size with 2016 vitz size.  New one has more space. Thank you.

So what are you actually trying to say?

Edited by hrm

54 minutes ago, trish_auto said:

In fact VITZ 1.0 L is a good option. You can get a late 2015 model around Rs 3.6 M.  It can manage with five people and baggage.  

But compared to Baleno it as no paddle shift and turbo. :(

Is Peddle Shift reliable when maintenance is concerned? I have heard that triptronic means problems.. Is that correct?

11 minutes ago, Sura1973 said:

Is Peddle Shift reliable when maintenance is concerned? I have heard that triptronic means problems.. Is that correct?

hmm, it can be in certain models and  also the way you maintain and use the vehicle.  But in recent developments in the automobile industry all these sophistications (paddle shift or tiptronic, cruise control,  radar braking,  rain sensing, etc)  have become basics.  Around a decade ago, those were used only by a few top auto makers.  Early nintees european top models came with all these high end options  when Japanese car manufactures not even thought of. But now it has changed.  technology has crossed the globe.

Yes reliability can matter depend on the amount of research and developments.  So always get your self updated with the user reviews. There are lot of pros here to share their knowledge with you.