• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Ban of the vehicles without air bags/ ABS / Seat Belts

trish_auto

http://www.dailymirror.lk/article/Ban-on-import-of-vehicles-without-safety-standards-from-July--144261.html

http://www.lankadeepa.lk/latest_news/ජූලි-සිට-ආසන-පටි---වායු-බැලුන-නැති-වාහන-ආනයනය-තහනම්/1-523249

According to the news, import of vehicles, without airbags and seat belts for the driver and the front passenger, Anti-Locking Breaking System (ABS)  and three-point seat belts at the rear and below the emission levels or its equivalent as prescribed by Euro IV would not be allowed from July 1,2018.

I think this is a good move, which should have been implemented earlier. 

First question come into anyone's mind is how about vehicles on road without those standards ? Will they also be banned after several years ? 

Second question is what they are going to do with three wheelers, buses and lorries. Vehicles in these segments may face difficulties in finding alternatives.  Most of the low budget Indian vehicle manufactures will not change their plans in coming years.  Any members here using vehicles in these segments ??

Go back to the stone age and start walking,..

Before emissions laws are set up,  the sale of non standard fuel should be stopped. (Spiked with kerosene and diesel.)

It's  just a matter of time when we go back to the drawing board.

• Haha 1

I think the new law will only apply to new imports. Neither those unregistered ones at car sales nor the already registered ones. It's a good move to improve the safety of at least those using passenger cars,not intended as a law that police could fine you for. But ABS should be mandatory for ALL vehicles in my opinion,because so many accidents happen because of skidding.

• 10 months later...

Almost a year ago government made an announcement saying that, vehicles without ABS and Air Bags will no longer be allowed to import to the country.  But even to date there are many dealers getting down vehicles without any of these ?  I wonder why government propose things if they can't commit on these.  ?

On the other hand I saw lot of kei models met with accidents during recent past killed the drivers and front passengers.  Are those Air Bags really effective in local accidents ? 

1 hour ago, trish_auto said:

Almost a year ago government made an announcement saying that, vehicles without ABS and Air Bags will no longer be allowed to import to the country.  But even to date there are many dealers getting down vehicles without any of these ?  I wonder why government propose things if they can't commit on these.  ?

On the other hand I saw lot of kei models met with accidents during recent past killed the drivers and front passengers.  Are those Air Bags really effective in local accidents ? 

Having air bags, seat belts, etc...does not guarantee survival. It only increases your chances of survival with the presumption that you use it properly and drive sensibly within the car's (and the driver's) limitations. The safety devices if not used properly can by itself kill you. A friend of mine tore his hand up because of an airbag. Another got a neck cut because of the seatbelt (the seat belt is not supposed to go across your neck...only your shoulder). Then a colleague's brother got some serious chest injuries because of an airbag deploying on his chest; he was sitting too close to the steering wheel. The accident itself was not to severe; the car was driven away to the police station whilst he was rushed to the hospital.

So..can you die even with these features...yes. Do you need these features...yes.

Unfortunately there are plenty of Sri Lankans who think these features make them immortal in their cars (these types in SUVs are even worst).

As to why these basic cars still enter the country even when certain promises/statements/policies were made ? Well....that is a whole different topic that we can talk about until the the end of time neh ?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, trish_auto said:

I dont think it is permitted to open LC's for vehicles below above standards. This was implemented few months back including euro 4 standards.

56 minutes ago, iRage said:

Having air bags, seat belts, etc...does not guarantee survival. It only increases your chances of survival with the presumption that you use it properly and drive sensibly within the car's (and the driver's) limitations. The safety devices if not used properly can by itself kill you. A friend of mine tore his hand up because of an airbag. Another got a neck cut because of the seatbelt (the seat belt is not supposed to go across your neck...only your shoulder). Then a colleague's brother got some serious chest injuries because of an airbag deploying on his chest; he was sitting too close to the steering wheel. The accident itself was not to severe; the car was driven away to the police station whilst he was rushed to the hospital.

So..can you die even with these features...yes. Do you need these features...yes.

Unfortunately there are plenty of Sri Lankans who think these features make them immortal in their cars (these types in SUVs are even worst).

As to why these basic cars still enter the country even when certain promises/statements/policies were made ? Well....that is a whole different topic that we can talk about until the the end of time neh ?

thanks for the reply. 

3 hours ago, trish_auto said:

Well, with all these publicized information, how some agents manage to sell vehicles without meeting those requirements, such as DFSK Glory, Zotye even to date ? 

Could be old stocks or else LC established on or before 12th July.  If not so........ You know how it usually happens. ?

You are referring to the Third Schedule of the Gazette (Extraordinary) No.2079/42 dated 12.07.2018 and effect from 13.07.2018. 

http://www.imexport.gov.lk/images/pdf/2079-70_E.pdf.  In fact this comes under CEA Act No.47 of 1980.  According to my understanding present CEA acts in regulating vehicle emissions are too lousy.  Recently I went through emission testing, I had a problem of testing RPM.  According to the testing guy, they uses a vibration probe, which reads the engine vibration to calculate RPM based on the vehicle model. This is too empirical and vague. Guy was sticking the probe in couple of places until he found the correct place. Even with that car showed almost twice the RPM that of in their system.  Finally I verified the calibration of the sensors.  It showed it was OK.  But I explained him this approach can go wrong due to various reasons, such as probe contact point, condition of the engine mounts, tyre pressure. I suppose optical or laser tachometers give accurate measurements. Even magnetic tachometers.