• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Can disable get driving licence

kayman

Hey guys 

I'm a disable person who haven't fingers in write hand.although I'm disable I can drive light vehicles perfectly since school age for about 10yrs.but still I couldn't get driving licence.but I want get driving licence.plz let me know is there any method to take driving licence for disables?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, terrabytetango said:

He's got hand controls installed in his car.

I think the type of additional control levers should depend on the type of disability isnt it? for examplke for the OP, the car should have a substitute lever/switch for the tasks he is not able to perform well without fingers in right hand. for Japanese vehicles,that would be the winker switch.But if he has a Euro the Winker and Wiper switches are in opposite direction,so it should be easier to negotiate with the examiner , given that Wiper is less important than Winker lever(or even Automated in modern cars)

Edited by ajm
  • Like 1

On 22/01/2018 at 5:09 PM, ajm said:

I think the type of additional control levers should depend on the type of disability isnt it? for examplke for the OP, the car should have a substitute lever/switch for the tasks he is not able to perform well without fingers in right hand. for Japanese vehicles,that would be the winker switch.But if he has a Euro the Winker and Wiper switches are in opposite direction,so it should be easier to negotiate with the examiner , given that Wiper is less important than Winker lever(or even Automated in modern cars)

afaik cars are modified on a case by case basis for disabled people. There is no negotiation with the examiner, as long as the driver can prove he can drive the car with the provided controls.

Edited by terrabytetango
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, terrabytetango said:

afaik cars are modified on a case by case basis for disabled people.

yes,there cant be a "generic control lever" because disabilities vary,for some its the legs and others its hands or hearing,color blindness etc. In case of fingers,it might be even not so important for driving a modern car. Any companies or individuals doing the modifications for motor-skills compensation in SL? just curious.

• Like 1

On 1/22/2018 at 4:15 PM, terrabytetango said:

Yes, I have a friend who was affected by Polio who drives. He's got hand controls installed in his car.

thank u friend,how he got his medical certificate? and how negotiate with examiner?

Thanks all of guys to comment to this post. I haven't fingers on my right hand.but its not problem to me drive a vehicle,and I used  manual vehicle and now a day I'm also using a manual vehicle.So I can drive a light vehicle perfectly,I use my two hands perfectly drive a vehicle.I also can do all the thing while drive(I mean use wiper,winker)I want to know,disable person who can drive perfectly,can they pass driving licence?(examiner)I think all you can understand my problem

help me

11 hours ago, kayman said:

but its not problem to me drive a vehicle,and I used  manual vehicle and now a day I'm also using a manual vehicle.So I can drive a light vehicle perfectly,I use my two hands perfectly drive a vehicle.I also can do all the thing while drive(I mean use wiper,winker)I want to know,disable person who can drive perfectly,can they pass driving licence?

I am confused. If you had no license, how could you drive until now? were you not allowed to take the Written test or to show a Trial by the Examiner people any time? i think there should be some instituitions for disabled people who could help you in case of such discrimination with no proper reason(although its only a very minor disability.)

• Like 1

The question here is, can a person who has special needs (ie. disabled), get a driving license in Sri Lanka. The answer is YES. There's a laid-down procedure to do so and a driving school (a proper one, not a fly-by-night one) can help you get it.

Some top-brass at the DMT will decide what kind of modifications are necessary to the vehicle, to enable the person to drive. This will be on a case-by-case basis. They will let you know that. In most cases, you can get a vehicle, get it modified and use that vehicle.

Good news is vehicles that fall under 'invalid carriage' category have much lower taxes. Only a person who has special needs (ie. disabled) can drive them. You will get a PZ- number when you register such a vehicle. You may need an import license to get one from abroad.

Edited by Crosswind
made it a bit clearer
  • Like 4

The OP says he is able to drive light vehicles now without any difficulties hence I think it is best you discuss with a reputed driving school or the information counter (at DMT, if they have one) for specific guidance. Probably you may be able to go ahead without any major modifications or under any special category. Good luck mate.

• Haha 1

yes, it is possible to get a driving licence for differently able people first you need to convert your car according to your requirement ( in Sri Lanka there are not much expert to convert vehicle for disabled as in developed countries )  then you register it as a invalid carriage vehicle next is go to Nugegoda and get a medical report from the consultant. ( if you are lucky you will get the report as a eligible to drive a vehicle, I am saying like this because we don't have specially trained medical officers  or examiners so even if you can drive properly you may not get the permission due to thinking way of prejudiced)  In Sri Lanka society where people with disabilities on the whole are regarded as less capable. so I wish you good luck..!    

• Like 1

• 2 years later...
On 1/26/2018 at 7:35 AM, bpcd said:

yes, it is possible to get a driving licence for differently able people first you need to convert your car according to your requirement ( in Sri Lanka there are not much expert to convert vehicle for disabled as in developed countries )  then you register it as a invalid carriage vehicle next is go to Nugegoda and get a medical report from the consultant. ( if you are lucky you will get the report as a eligible to drive a vehicle, I am saying like this because we don't have specially trained medical officers  or examiners so even if you can drive properly you may not get the permission due to thinking way of prejudiced)  In Sri Lanka society where people with disabilities on the whole are regarded as less capable. so I wish you good luck..!    

Thanks a lot.

http://essaypapers.reviews/

Edited by KeiraRahman

• 2 months later...

I'm disable person since i was born, I'm using artificial leg for right leg belowknee and all of other parts of my body very well.anyway i tried to get my driving license when i was 19 years old.i passed for A1 scooty 100<cc but examiner did nt allow it without taking trial? So i get auto gear vehicle B class driving license and i tried once agian, This time I also passed for A1 scooty but examiner sayed same thing.plz can u help me? Or wht this nonsense? Plz mention ur idea