• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Coolant system clarification ( Mazda demio 2009)

K.o.N.o.S

Guys need your expert advice.

i am regularly checking the coolant level in my reservoir and it consntantly dropping below the low mark. Car is Mazda demio 2009 and I am using caltex premixed (green) coolant. Is this something I need to worry about? Should I get my coolant system checked? FYI I checked the coolant level in the reservoir when the engine is in both cold & hot situations. They both read as either near low or below low mark.Appreciate your advice

Yes you should absolutely get it checked out. If the coolant level keeps dropping constantly, there might be a leak somewhere.

The first thing to do is carefully examine around the engine for traces of coolant leaks. Due to the bright green colour of the liquid, you should be able to easily spot leaks if there are any. You can also keep an eye under the car after you've driven it, to see if you can see drops of coolant on the floor. Remember that there is a coolant line that goes into the cabin of the car for the heater matrix, and if there is a leak there, you might not even see leaks in the engine bay or on the floor. If you're lucky, you might see small traces of green in the water that is drained from the AC.

You can also check for the possibility of a gasket leak by carefully opening the radiator cap, starting up the car and checking for tiny air bubbles in the coolant through the filler neck. Do you have white smoke coming out of the exhaust?

Did you do a repair recently that required the drainage/disconnecting of the cooling system? If yes, it might be that there are air pockets trapped in the system that's using up the coolant in the reservoir to fill the voids. 

Thanks Davy. Yes you are correct. There seems to be a leak under the car. I checked right after I have driven it. However I checked the leakage. I got couple of drops into a cup & It seems to be water not coolant..any insight about that? Meanwhile I will check further on the coolant system.

For the record i did not do any repairs on the coolant system.i  am guessing the water leakage is condensation from the Ac. That's nothing to worry about right?

2 hours ago, K.o.N.o.S said:

For the record i did not do any repairs on the coolant system.i  am guessing the water leakage is condensation from the Ac. That's nothing to worry about right?

That's correct. If it's plain water, it's likely that it's from the AC drain line. 

• Like 1

After a run allow the engine to fully cool down (say in the morning). Then open the radiator cap and check if the coolant level is right up to the lower seal of the cap. If the level is down then there is a problem somewhere in the system.

• 3 weeks later...
On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:03 AM, K.o.N.o.S said:

Guys need your expert advice.

i am regularly checking the coolant level in my reservoir and it consntantly dropping below the low mark. Car is Mazda demio 2009 and I am using caltex premixed (green) coolant. Is this something I need to worry about? Should I get my coolant system checked? FYI I checked the coolant level in the reservoir when the engine is in both cold & hot situations. They both read as either near low or below low mark.Appreciate your advice

hope system running ok for u. A radiator pressure test

n change t cap.

Edited by R.mason
spelling mistakes