• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Engine Life span

sira

Question

Dear Friends,Dear Friends. what is the life span of below mechanical areas of motor car. 

1. Life span of Engine -  i heard after 100,000 km the car engines will decrees the performance and fuel consumption . Some of said,  toyota is good long life span . and  honda can be 300,000 - 500,000 with carefully maintained. how true of these comments?
  2.  life span of electronic sensors? map, airflow O2....etc
  3.  Life span of the gear box

Let me have your valuable idea

Sira

12 answers to this question

A good set of maintenance practices and good driving without thrashing your car will most likely increase the life span of the engine but again will depend on many reasons. electronics will most likely degrade but again you cannot say when n where this can happen.

I saw awhile back a Subaru Impreza Southern highway patrol car logging in 500k ODO at the Agents

• Like 1

On 1/10/2018 at 9:26 AM, sira said:
  1. Life span of Engine -  i heard after 100,000 km the car engines will decrees the performance and fuel consumption . Some of said,  toyota is good long life span . and  honda can be 300,000 - 500,000 with carefully maintained. how true of these comments?

completely incorrect.

if correctly serviced/maintained,even 1 million is possible without major repairs. Engine wear happens mostly during engine starting,after that it runs on oil tolerances. Putting the pedal to the metal just after starting is a major abuse,and for turbochrged engines even about 1 minute idling is necessary before turning off. So the number of kilometers is not the main factor for engine life(which explains why taxis and your subaru example have high mileage without major repair). However if its a commuter car which sits most of time in traffic and parking,lifetime would be much less. For conventional electronics,the electrolyte capacitors is the bottleneck which degrade out of specified limits after 15-20years of normal use(but still not completely busted) For hybrid batteries,I think its somewhere around 10-15years. For electronics failures,the leading factors would be thermal cycling,vibration load,corrosion of contacts etc. In addition,fuel quality influence the premature DPF and O2/Lambda sensor failures.

Edited by ajm

On 1/11/2018 at 9:25 AM, Muditha420 said:

A good set of maintenance practices and good driving without thrashing your car will most likely increase the life span of the engine but again will depend on many reasons. electronics will most likely degrade but again you cannot say when n where this can happen.

I saw awhile back a Subaru Impreza Southern highway patrol car logging in 500k ODO at the Agents

Yeah. J at Senok said those cars might do even 1 Million without an issue.

Can’t expect same figures with the new 1L turbo versions. A1, Civic, etc...

35 minutes ago, Crishan said:

those cars might do even 1 Million without an issue.

because they are driven continuously on highway,the stress levels are would be lower than the same car driving over potholes in  traffic and sitting parked at the office.

1 hour ago, ajm said:

because they are driven continuously on highway,the stress levels are would be lower than the same car driving over potholes in  traffic and sitting parked at the office.

And the benefit of a boxer engine of course. 

13 minutes ago, Crishan said:

And the benefit of a boxer engine of course. 

Apart from low center of gravity and the counterbalancing of engine vibrations,is there any advantages of Boxer engines that improve durability/reliability?(its Two, not just one head gasket that could leak)

50 minutes ago, ajm said:

Apart from low center of gravity and the counterbalancing of engine vibrations,is there any advantages of Boxer engines that improve durability/reliability?(its Two, not just one head gasket that could leak)

Because the pistons move in opposite directions the natural rotational balance of the engine is very good, due to the cancelation of the piston inertia forces that move in opposite directions. Which means lower levels of vibration and harshness, which translates into less wear and tear and there fore higher level of durability meaning a more reliable and lower cost of ownership.

Edit: With regards to the head gasket, I'm with you.

Edited by Crishan
  • Like 1