• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Suzuki Wagon R

gdgy

Question

Hi, 

I am interested in buying a wagon r fz (non safety). But I cant decide whether I should go with the agent or a personal importer/car sale. What are the merits and demerits of both options?

Edited by gdgy

11 answers to this question

10 hours ago, gdgy said:

Hi, 

I am interested in buying a wagon r fz (non safety). But I cant decide whether I should go with the agent or a personal importer/car sale. What are the merits and demerits of both options?

with the agent you get warranty plus if there's any recall from the manufacturer it's their responsibility to handle it. Grey imports do not come with that luxury. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, matroska said:

with the agent you get warranty plus if there's any recall from the manufacturer it's their responsibility to handle it. Grey imports do not come with that luxury. 

Thank you for replying. Yeah thats a huge plus for me. But there are various sayings about company vehicle. Some claim its assembled in Sri Lanka. And say, that's why they take so long to deliver a unit. This is my first vehicle and I want a hassle free experiance for at least 3 to five years. (given that I take care of the vehicle as manufacturer instructs). I know that A*W fit Osram fog lights, a genuine pioneer setup, reverse camera and front and rear parking sensors here in their workshops. But those are basically dealer options right? And one doesnt need to worry about those? Is there any truth to the aforementioned apart from this.

5 minutes ago, gdgy said:

Thank you for replying. Yeah thats a huge plus for me. But there are various sayings about company vehicle. Some claim its assembled in Sri Lanka. And say, that's why they take so long to deliver a unit. This is my first vehicle and I want a hassle free experiance for at least 3 to five years. (given that I take care of the vehicle as manufacturer instructs). I know that A*W fit Osram fog lights, a genuine pioneer setup, reverse camera and front and rear parking sensors here in their workshops. But those are basically dealer options right? And one doesnt need to worry about those? Is there any truth to the aforementioned apart from this.

the ONLY advantage i see in getting a grey import is price.  I'm not a wagonR/Suzuki user but I really don't think A*W assemble it here  (can't expect them being capable of doing anything on those lines :D )fitting the sensors and accessories are one thing. that story sounds like one of them stories spread by the numerous grey-importers all over the country.

Look if you're in for a hassle-free usage and ok with maybe a slightly higher price to pay then still i guess the agent option is the better. just checked their site and they say "Warranty : 04 Years or 80,000 Kms, whichever occurs first" so basically you're covered for all mechanical defects for that period.  

Ideally cars brought brand new through agent have been manufactured to withstand local harsh conditions (or at least the agent/manufacturer have the responsibility)  here's an example: the Toyota  Corlla 141 was available in SL through the agent and had standard A/T while the much fancied JDM Axio came with a CVT box. few years down the line the axio CVT boxes started giving trouble and the 2007 Axios dashboards started cracking up.

• Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, matroska said:

the ONLY advantage i see in getting a grey import is price.  I'm not a wagonR/Suzuki user but I really don't think A*W assemble it here  (can't expect them being capable of doing anything on those lines :D )fitting the sensors and accessories are one thing. that story sounds like one of them stories spread by the numerous grey-importers all over the country.

Look if you're in for a hassle-free usage and ok with maybe a slightly higher price to pay then still i guess the agent option is the better. just checked their site and they say "Warranty : 04 Years or 80,000 Kms, whichever occurs first" so basically you're covered for all mechanical defects for that period.  

Ideally cars brought brand new through agent have been manufactured to withstand local harsh conditions (or at least the agent/manufacturer have the responsibility)  here's an example: the Toyota  Corlla 141 was available in SL through the agent and had standard A/T while the much fancied JDM Axio came with a CVT box. few years down the line the axio CVT boxes started giving trouble and the 2007 Axios dashboards started cracking up.

Thank you very much for the clarification.

As the others have stated..with the agent you get the manufacturer's warranty. Where recalls are concerned the agent will take care of it with no questions asked. With grey imports you will have to do some explaining and talking (sometimes you might get the part but will have to pay for things like shipping etc of the part). So with the agent you can get better after sales support whilst with a JDM import you are the mercy of the importer and third party warranty providers (who have a million and one conditions). 

The specs of the car would be more suited for the local market (for better of for worst). The JDM variant may have a few accessories that suit their market. This may also include safety equipment (number of airbags, collision avoidance systems, etc..) which are good things to have which the agent's version might not have.

Yes...things like fog lamps, stereo, etc...are dealer installed options even in Japan. So, A*W fitting them here in SL is actually not much of an issue. Guess what ? Even if it was not properly fitted and it breaks you can always go to them and make a warranty claim :). Also, even the grey importers do the same thing ! Most of the cars that are imported from Japan do not have stereos, fog lamps, etc...and are installed locally. That way they get to save a bit on taxes and purchase costs.

I wish A*W assembled cars in Sri Lanka....because that would actually be a good thing to have a proper car manufacturer like Suzuki investing in the country's motor industry. Unfortunately it is nothing more than hog wash flung around by grey car importers.

3 hours ago, iRage said:

As the others have stated..with the agent you get the manufacturer's warranty. Where recalls are concerned the agent will take care of it with no questions asked. With grey imports you will have to do some explaining and talking (sometimes you might get the part but will have to pay for things like shipping etc of the part). So with the agent you can get better after sales support whilst with a JDM import you are the mercy of the importer and third party warranty providers (who have a million and one conditions). 

The specs of the car would be more suited for the local market (for better of for worst). The JDM variant may have a few accessories that suit their market. This may also include safety equipment (number of airbags, collision avoidance systems, etc..) which are good things to have which the agent's version might not have.

Yes...things like fog lamps, stereo, etc...are dealer installed options even in Japan. So, A*W fitting them here in SL is actually not much of an issue. Guess what ? Even if it was not properly fitted and it breaks you can always go to them and make a warranty claim :). Also, even the grey importers do the same thing ! Most of the cars that are imported from Japan do not have stereos, fog lamps, etc...and are installed locally. That way they get to save a bit on taxes and purchase costs.

I wish A*W assembled cars in Sri Lanka....because that would actually be a good thing to have a proper car manufacturer like Suzuki investing in the country's motor industry. Unfortunately it is nothing more than hog wash flung around by grey car importers.

Thank you very much for your lengthy reply. Yes Safety package is a nice to have option but company warranty and knowing that the vehicle is genuinely brandnew outweighs niceties.

I would like to mention the newest rumor which is, "Ayiyo Mahaththaya company eka Malesiyawene assemble kranne" (company vehicle is assembled in Malaysia and inferior in quality) just to keep others informed.

57 minutes ago, gdgy said:

Thank you very much for your lengthy reply. Yes Safety package is a nice to have option but company warranty and knowing that the vehicle is genuinely brandnew outweighs niceties.

I would like to mention the newest rumor which is, "Ayiyo Mahaththaya company eka Malesiyawene assemble kranne" (company vehicle is assembled in Malaysia and inferior in quality) just to keep others informed.

What is wrong with a car being assembled in Malaysia ? <Which I don't think it is>. Malaysia has been assembling cars for decades and actually has some really good cars. Being in Vietnam I am surrounded by everything from Kias to Toyotas that are assembled in Vietnam and they are doing pretty damn well on really bad roads and abuse by their owners.

These car sales people have no idea what they are selling. They are selling Indian made Suzuki Balenos insisting they are made in Japan just because it was imported from Japan. They did the same with the Honda Grace....

<OT>Ah yes... Malaysia..

A close friend of mine had a Ford Laser 1996 BH-model, which had an engine that clocked 360,000km. Until he sold it, the car used to start on the first go every morning and never lost a single drop of oil .

The car was made in Japan but the engine was made in Malaysia (that's what the user manual said... not some random car sale guy).

If that's the inferior quality Malaysians have, I'll take a Malaysian over a Japanese anytime.

</OT>

Leaving the OT aside, if you listen to car sale guys, please don't come here for advice. Thank you.

Edited by Crosswind
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, gdgy said:

typical car-sale guy talk...it's these folks who have set sri lankan buying patterns and thanks to the rumors spread by them sri lankans prefer to buy a 16 year old 121 with 'beij interiyal' over  a much newer car. 

• Haha 1