• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

flashmark

Steering wheel not returning when turning into left side

Hi,

I observed that my Suzuki Swift (Beetle) steering wheel not returning to center after turning into left side. Also there was some noice when drive in gravel roads.

So after inspecting in garage, they replaced lower arms and links and aligned the wheels. After two days, exactly same issue came again. Again I went to the same garage and they were suspected that sound came from rack and they replaced it with recondition rack.But still issue is there. Still steering wheel not returning after turning to left side and noice coming when drive in gravel road.

What could be the issue is?

regards,

Flash

Sad to hear your story, 

The car may have sustained further damages to major parts like the st.rack. Were the rack/tierod, joints replaced?

:o Was the car entered into an off-roading event?

Edited by Twin Turbo

On 1/8/2018 at 5:35 PM, Twin Turbo said:

Sad to hear your story, 

The car may have sustained further damages to major parts like the st.rack. Were the rack/tierod, joints replaced?

:o Was the car entered into an off-roading event?

Yes. Now rack also replaced still issue is not completely resolved. When turning to left side steering not returning fully (half circle). According to the garage now I've replace the shock as well :(.

No. No off-roading or similar events.  

20 hours ago, flashmark said:

Yes. Now rack also replaced still issue is not completely resolved. When turning to left side steering not returning fully (half circle). According to the garage now I've replace the shock as well :(.

No. No off-roading or similar events.  

Is your vehicle accident free? Without spending much more money get it checked by skilled technician is there any structural damage on your car. 

On 1/8/2018 at 3:30 PM, flashmark said:

Hi,

I observed that my Suzuki Swift (Beetle) steering wheel not returning to center after turning into left side. Also there was some noice when drive in gravel roads.

So after inspecting in garage, they replaced lower arms and links and aligned the wheels. After two days, exactly same issue came again. Again I went to the same garage and they were suspected that sound came from rack and they replaced it with recondition rack.But still issue is there. Still steering wheel not returning after turning to left side and noice coming when drive in gravel road.

What could be the issue is?

regards,

Flash

Hi

This could result due to wrong caster angle.  please check it first . "car care - wellawatta" they can check it manually. the front wheels must comeback to straight position when you release the steering wheel after turning, this force will generated  with the caster angle while driving.  like the wheels on " super market trolley",  it's  adjust to the direction 

Other thing is due to incorrect camber angle the caster force may not be generated. so result would be the same.the camber angle may differ due to shock absorber damage. also check type pressure. first do the proper wheel alignment then start repair.

Sira

Edited by sira

Garage has already replaced the steering wheel rack, lower arms,  links, Shocks, Shock mounts. Also aligned wheels several times. Conditions is a bit better than the earlier, but still steering is not returning to the original position. Now It seems they still didn't identify the problem. Replacing all the items just assume the conditions. They still didn't charge for me because the problem is still not resolved. But I'm not too sure all those parts actually damaged. But I will have to pay for all the spare parts they replaced + labor cost.