• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Steering wheel not returning when turning into left side

flashmark

Hi,

I observed that my Suzuki Swift (Beetle) steering wheel not returning to center after turning into left side. Also there was some noice when drive in gravel roads.

So after inspecting in garage, they replaced lower arms and links and aligned the wheels. After two days, exactly same issue came again. Again I went to the same garage and they were suspected that sound came from rack and they replaced it with recondition rack.But still issue is there. Still steering wheel not returning after turning to left side and noice coming when drive in gravel road.

What could be the issue is?

regards,

Flash

Sad to hear your story, 

The car may have sustained further damages to major parts like the st.rack. Were the rack/tierod, joints replaced?

:o Was the car entered into an off-roading event?

Edited by Twin Turbo

On 1/8/2018 at 5:35 PM, Twin Turbo said:

Sad to hear your story, 

The car may have sustained further damages to major parts like the st.rack. Were the rack/tierod, joints replaced?

:o Was the car entered into an off-roading event?

Yes. Now rack also replaced still issue is not completely resolved. When turning to left side steering not returning fully (half circle). According to the garage now I've replace the shock as well :(.

No. No off-roading or similar events.  

20 hours ago, flashmark said:

Yes. Now rack also replaced still issue is not completely resolved. When turning to left side steering not returning fully (half circle). According to the garage now I've replace the shock as well :(.

No. No off-roading or similar events.  

Is your vehicle accident free? Without spending much more money get it checked by skilled technician is there any structural damage on your car. 

On 1/8/2018 at 3:30 PM, flashmark said:

Hi,

I observed that my Suzuki Swift (Beetle) steering wheel not returning to center after turning into left side. Also there was some noice when drive in gravel roads.

So after inspecting in garage, they replaced lower arms and links and aligned the wheels. After two days, exactly same issue came again. Again I went to the same garage and they were suspected that sound came from rack and they replaced it with recondition rack.But still issue is there. Still steering wheel not returning after turning to left side and noice coming when drive in gravel road.

What could be the issue is?

regards,

Flash

Hi

This could result due to wrong caster angle.  please check it first . "car care - wellawatta" they can check it manually. the front wheels must comeback to straight position when you release the steering wheel after turning, this force will generated  with the caster angle while driving.  like the wheels on " super market trolley",  it's  adjust to the direction 

Other thing is due to incorrect camber angle the caster force may not be generated. so result would be the same.the camber angle may differ due to shock absorber damage. also check type pressure. first do the proper wheel alignment then start repair.

Sira

Edited by sira

• 1 month later...

Garage has already replaced the steering wheel rack, lower arms,  links, Shocks, Shock mounts. Also aligned wheels several times. Conditions is a bit better than the earlier, but still steering is not returning to the original position. Now It seems they still didn't identify the problem. Replacing all the items just assume the conditions. They still didn't charge for me because the problem is still not resolved. But I'm not too sure all those parts actually damaged. But I will have to pay for all the spare parts they replaced + labor cost. 

• 3 months later...

Sorry for the late reply. Because of repairing cost I had to wait several months for the repair. Today I went to another garage and they checked the vehicle.

According to them, Problem is when trying to turn steering wheel fully, wheel touches the underarm. Because of that steering wheel is not returning. 

The turning angle of the wheel is different (I can turn the steering wheel 1 and 3/4 for one side but for other side, it is 1 and 1/4). Is this normal? (As I mentioned in the above, steering wheel is not returning to one side. )

Garage suspected that was the problem. But they don't know the solution to the problem. Do you have any idea about this problem?

1 hour ago, flashmark said:

Sorry for the late reply. Because of repairing cost I had to wait several months for the repair. Today I went to another garage and they checked the vehicle.

According to them, Problem is when trying to turn steering wheel fully, wheel touches the underarm. Because of that steering wheel is not returning. 

The turning angle of the wheel is different (I can turn the steering wheel 1 and 3/4 for one side but for other side, it is 1 and 1/4). Is this normal? (As I mentioned in the above, steering wheel is not returning to one side. )

Garage suspected that was the problem. But they don't know the solution to the problem. Do you have any idea about this problem?

What is your rim & tyre size? are they stock ?

5 hours ago, flashmark said:

185/60R15. I checked with the Agent and size is OK.(This is the original size which comes with this model)

There should be a plate mentioning Tyre sizes and Tyre pressure in the door arch like this.

1142808348_August2012002.jpgoriginal.jpg.224426d9a7b547def44ec482972a4055.jpg

Edited by nagaya

13 hours ago, flashmark said:

If the car has stock wheels, then it sounds like something is wrong with the suspension geometry. Have you done any suspension modifications? Are you the first owner of the car? Was the car involved in a frontal accident or is there evidence of one? Do your tyres wear out unevenly?

You said that the lower arms were replaced. Were they replaced with brand new ones or reconditioned ones? Lower arms don't usually need replacement unless they're bent out of shape or something. The bushes in the lower arms are replaceable. 

2 hours ago, Davy said:

If the car has stock wheels, then it sounds like something is wrong with the suspension geometry. Have you done any suspension modifications? Are you the first owner of the car? Was the car involved in a frontal accident or is there evidence of one? Do your tyres wear out unevenly?

You said that the lower arms were replaced. Were they replaced with brand new ones or reconditioned ones? Lower arms don't usually need replacement unless they're bent out of shape or something. The bushes in the lower arms are replaceable. 

Yes. Car has stock wheels. Faced with an accident in the expressway. Right-hand side of the vehicle hit on another car and left side hit on the fence,  I can't remember all the parts I replaced(Repairing cost was 1.5M). But due to that accident right side wheel damaged heavily and Axle. After replacing underarm and rack I heard sneaking sound. Earlier there was no sound like that.

I replaced with recon underarms. Yes. They changed the suspension. Not sure whether they used the correct one which specific to this car model.

2 hours ago, flashmark said:

Yes. Car has stock wheels. Faced with an accident in the expressway. Right-hand side of the vehicle hit on another car and left side hit on the fence,  I can't remember all the parts I replaced(Repairing cost was 1.5M). But due to that accident right side wheel damaged heavily and Axle. After replacing underarm and rack I heard sneaking sound. Earlier there was no sound like that.

I replaced with recon underarms. Yes. They changed the suspension. Not sure whether they used the correct one which specific to this car model.

1.5M! Must have been quite some damage then. Did you experience this before the accident as well? If the answer is "no", then my first guess would be that it's the impact from the accident that's caused your front suspension geometry to change. Note that this is only an assumption as it's possible after a severe frontal. Where was the car repaired? Was it at the agent?

It could also be that the recon lower arms are bent as well. Even the smallest deformation can create steering and suspension issues. 

19 hours ago, Davy said:

1.5M! Must have been quite some damage then. Did you experience this before the accident as well? If the answer is "no", then my first guess would be that it's the impact from the accident that's caused your front suspension geometry to change. Note that this is only an assumption as it's possible after a severe frontal. Where was the car repaired? Was it at the agent?

It could also be that the recon lower arms are bent as well. Even the smallest deformation can create steering and suspension issues. 

I experienced steering wheel not returning issue after that accident repair which is done from A*W. 

But sneaking sound occurred after recent replacement of parts from another garage. 

I think your assumption(suspension geometry) is correct because of rotation differences to the right side and left side. 

On 6/11/2018 at 7:07 PM, flashmark said:

It is this the case, do you have any idea of what I need to do to correct that problem? Any idea of repairing cost?

20 minutes ago, flashmark said:

I experienced steering wheel not returning issue after that accident repair which is done from A*W. 

But sneaking sound occurred after recent replacement of parts from another garage. 

I think your assumption(suspension geometry) is correct because of rotation differences to the right side and left side. 

It is this the case, do you have any idea of what I need to do to correct that problem? Any idea of repairing cost?

I think you should take your car back to the agent and explain as it's clearly a case of the car not being repaired to spec. A*W being the agent, should either repair it or recommend writing off the car (hardly ever happens in Sri Lanka) if the damage is too extensive. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Hi, I also have same problem. Steering not returns after turning, it’s happened after fixed new Steering rack yesterday. It’s a brand new rack . Done the wheel alignment and checked the tire pressure also. Please advice 

Edited by Hasintha

This reminds me one thing when I bought my first Viva. I’m not kidding this was real.

So it was my first brand new car. Perodua Viva (The old one). After the car was delivered and when driving for few days I felt that the car is steering towards left just a little. So I went to the sales department at Unimo (yes I went to sales) and told about this problem with whom I worked with to buy the car. I was told “ Yes this car was made that way as a safety feature so you won’t steer to the on coming traffic if you fall a sleep or something. It’s a safety feature.”. I kid you not I believed him.. ??‍♂️

Found an old pic.. :D 

(Paid extra to get a newer license plate.. LoL)

DSC02570.jpg

Edited by kmeeg
  • Haha 1

On 11/11/2018 at 3:52 AM, Hasintha said:

Hi, I also have same problem. Steering not returns after turning, it’s happened after fixed new Steering rack yesterday. It’s a brand new rack . Done the wheel alignment and checked the tire pressure also. Please advice 

If this was observed after replacing the power steering rack, then obviously it's an issue with the steering and/or suspension geometry after the repair. 

Did you try to bleed air out of the power steering system? If not, start the car and let it idle for about a minute. Then turn the steering wheel to one side fully. Turn fully to the other side. Do this lock to lock motion a few times. This is best done while the front wheels are off the ground so that there is less strain on the suspension system.

If that doesn't solve it, get another wheel alignment done from a good place. Caster angle might be off. 

we had a slimiler issues in a Alto because we had to go thru 18 humps (safety conscious neighbors) each day, so the EPS did not work as the front bar was bent so put the suspension new do not agree to put old parts. i think the part was - "torsion bar" I think.

On 11/15/2018 at 3:35 AM, Davy said:

If this was observed after replacing the power steering rack, then obviously it's an issue with the steering and/or suspension geometry after the repair. 

Did you try to bleed air out of the power steering system? If not, start the car and let it idle for about a minute. Then turn the steering wheel to one side fully. Turn fully to the other side. Do this lock to lock motion a few times. This is best done while the front wheels are off the ground so that there is less strain on the suspension system.

If that doesn't solve it, get another wheel alignment done from a good place. Caster angle might be off. 

Hi, suzuki swift comes with motor driven power steering. Do, there is no bleed air to out. Is there any good place rectify this issue 

• 4 months later...