• Welcome to AutoLanka

:action-smiley-028: We found you speeding on AutoLanka Forums without any registration! If you want the best experience, please sign in. Safe driving! 

Creaking sound when braking

muvi24

Question

Hi all,

I have a toyota vitz 2007 1000cc with 98000km milage. Recently I experienced a creaking sound from rear of the vehicle when the brakes are applied. I checked for the brake pads and shoes and saw that they are worn out. So I installed new brake pads, shoes and even re-lathe the drum also. But that sound is still coming. Kindly give me some suggestions..

3 answers to this question

8 hours ago, muvi24 said:

Hi all,

I have a toyota vitz 2007 1000cc with 98000km milage. Recently I experienced a creaking sound from rear of the vehicle when the brakes are applied. I checked for the brake pads and shoes and saw that they are worn out. So I installed new brake pads, shoes and even re-lathe the drum also. But that sound is still coming. Kindly give me some suggestions..

hmm.. the surface of the pads are not evenly engaging with the surface of the drum.  Even a very tiny difference would give a high noise. With time, usage, excessive heat,  road conditions can distort the shape of the drums & making them eccentric.  Don't waste money for reshaping.

If it's a creaking sound, it could be that the springs and parking brake mechanism need to be cleaned, or the brake shoes are binding with the backing plate. Give it a thorough clean up using some brake cleaner and apply some brake grease/lubricant on the moving parts. Pay attention to the places where the brake shoes touch the backing plate.